QTDDTOT - Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Post 'em

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic?pli=1
sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There's some questionable threads on this board. Who determines which questions are deserving?

The asker chooses whether and where to post them, other anons choose whether to answer, mods remove posts.

This is why I love Veeky Forums

How do I into western phil? any chart o reading list that includes only the esentials?

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic?pli=1

Start with A Brief Illustrated History of Western Philosophy by Anthony Kenny to get your bearings.

Then read Mythology by Edith Hamilton for background, before moving onto the Illiad and the Odyssey by Homer.

Then read in this order:

The Republic - Plato
Oresteia - Aeschylus
Oepidus Rex - Sophocles
The Aeneid - Virgil
Metaphysics - Aristotle
Ethics>Politics>On Poetry>The Organon>Physics>On the Soul>Metaphysics>Rhetoric
Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu
the rest of Plato's collected works
The Art of War - Sun Tzu
Nicomachean Ethics - Aristotle
The Code of Hammurabi - Hammurabi
The Categories - Aristotle
City of God - St Augustine
Meditations - Marcus Aurelius
The Consolation of Philosophy - Boethius
Secretum - Petrarch
The Metaphysics of the Healing - Abu Ali ibn Sina
Leviathan - Thomas Hobbes
Summa Theologica - St Thomas Aquinas
Meditations on First Philosophy - Rene Descartes
The Divine Comedy - Dante
Ethics - Benedict Spinoza
Critique of Pure Reason - Immanuel Kant
Phenomenology of the Spirit - Hegel
The Prince - Machiavelli
Either/Or - Soren Kierkegaard
Fear and Trembling - Soren Kierkegaard
Paradise Lost - John Milton
The World as Will and Representation - Arthur Schopenhauer
The Ego and its Own - Max Stirner
Thus Spoke Zarathustra - Friedrich Nietzsche
Beyond Good and Evil - Friedrich Nietzsche
The Communist Manifesto - Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
God and the State - Mikhail Bakunin
Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka
Siddhartha - Herman Hesse
The Conquest of Bread - Peter Kropotkin
On Liberty - John Stuart Mill
Walden; Or Life in the Woods - Henry David Thoreau
Being and Time - Martin Heidegger
The Wealth of Nations - Adam Smith
Cartesian Meditations - Edmund Husserl
Logical Investigations - Edmund Husserl
Being and Nothingness - Jean-Paul Sartre
The Myth of Sisyphus - Albert Camus
The Roads to Freedom Trilogy - Jean-Paul Sartre
Nausea - Jean-Paul Sartre
Philosophical Investigations - Ludwig Wittgenstein
Tractatus - Ludwig Wittgenstein
Man and His Symbols - Carl Jung

What's the best way in this day and age to share your work with other writers? I don't care too much about getting published but I'd like to be read by and read the work of other like minded individuals.

I'm assuming there's a better answer than "post on Veeky Forums and let some anons have a laugh at your expense".

I know translated poetry is usually bad but what are some good translations of poetry? Bilingual editions would be cool too.

The human race is aggressive and selfish by nature? I say yes

what's the best translation of anna karenina? what's the advantages and disadvantages of both?
ftr i didn't like p&v's war and peace

Excellent list, is there a reason Confessions / Kant's groundwork is left out?

good poetry collections published after 1950?

just wogs

Were any decent books written in 2017?

lol that's what I'm talking about

Wasn't looking for an exhaustive reading list, but this is a nice resource. What would you say is most important of the Roman era in terms of political philosophy? Don't need metaphysics. I'm already planning to hit Meditations out of my own interests.

Where should i start with this fellow?

What are the little fold under her eyes called? They're not eyebags

tearpouches

The sailor who fell from grace by Mishima. Recommended translation? Does it even matter though since I'm not reading it for the prose?

Marriage of Heaven and Hell will jump start (you).

I don't trust the starter guide. What's a good reading list to getting into literature and skipping the entry-level literature that aren't even good.

sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html

Thanks. So which one should I start with?

English is read left to right, top to bottom.

How do I remember a story after reading?
I can't narrate a book after reading. I only remember the theme. If you told me a detail, I would remember it.

*faaaaaaaaaaaaaart*

How do I make time in college to read?
Am I better off working hard now and leisure read after retirement?

Thank

I'm writing a character based on her appearance. Any other words for them? Just "tearpouches" will get stale quick

Is text to speech any good for "reading" books?

anyone know of any good books you'd classify as psychological horror?

How can I improve my memory and attention span? Often times when I'm reading I realize that I've went through half a page without actually paying attention to it.

only if you have a legit visual impairment

What would be an example of an existentialist question?

For 2 years now im listening to audio books, while i can do no-brainer stuff at home/work. There are some books that does not have audio versions id like to get through...
Reading takes up so fucking much time.

I could answer your question but what's the point?

Anybody here like Warhammer books?

So does exisitentialism basically boil down to "what's the point of x, in the grand scheme of things"?

I've read probably over a hundred books, but I'm awful at writing. I want to write something, but I do not have the skills, nor any ideas.

Am I dead inside?

Is Infinite Jest good or is it just a meme Veeky Forums has?

my understanding was always that existentialism is accepting that life itself has no purpose, but rather your individual purpose you decide is the reason to live.
life is pointless but you might as well try and make a point for yourself.
life without any purpose at all whatsoever is nihilism.
i could be wrong though

Both.

best edition/ translation of the mahabarata?

Is debating things like socio-political issues worth doing at all if the person you're debating has no though-out philosophical grounding for his subconscious or conscious presuppositions?

If you see it as a rhetorical exchange and use ethos pathos and logos well it could yield something from them.

bibek debroy

Is there any job where I can write that isnt Journalism or being an Author?
Writing is the only thing Im not that shit at and I feel like Im just fucked because of that.

As intended

It's worth getting people to think reasonably about their positions, however this shouldn't be done in a "debate" but more just a discussion.

Is apathy a bad thing?

Humbert scans Lolita's statistics—height, weight, thigh measurements, IQ, and so forth—he discovers that she still has her appendix and says to himself, "Thank God."

Can someone please explain what this about "still having her appendix" means?

When developing a story, which is the order of importance?
Story/premise and resolution, then characters, then worldbuilding/arethetics?
Or worldbuilding, characters, then story? etc.

At first I though it was something about her being pure and untouched, no man having been inside her, but maybe there’s more to it. Can you put your dick in the appendix?

Oh right, I think it's just that - no man having been inside her, pure and untouched. Thank you!

Character, and everything else can just help inform that. Think to your top favorite novels.. they're probably character driven above all else.

No. Debate is a meme, a means developed by democratic politicians to effectively masturbate over their own long-held positions in an attempt to sway undecided or ignorant voters. Once it made its way into academia to be taught as the de facto method of political, ethical and etc discussion, those subjects zombified.

You're never going to learn anything from another person, nor cause them to seriously investigate their own positions, by presenting a bunch of shrink-wrapped bullet points for which they will have packed designated responses. That kind of rhetorical grandstanding only works to sway people who didn't know anything on the subject anyways.

how often do you search for a word in the dictionary? I feel like a brain let for opening one every several paragraphs.

No.
The muse is a harsh mistress.
What is the meaning of the verb: "To be"?
Use the Socratic method instead.

Keep doing it and you'll need to less and less. Sounds silly but if you try and make it a point to use a new word in a sentence asap you'll probably hold on to it better.