Do people still write good books?

Do people still write good books? Were any decent books written in 2017? Will anything good be written in 2018?

In 2018 there will be three good books published. One of enduring quality.

Which 3 books?

Im writing a book.

Maybe yours. Something's going to happen this upcoming year. It's in the air. HNY.

I do

I feel it too. At least one work of undeniable quality.

lit is scared of modern shit cause they have to figure out if it's patrician or not by themselves

there will be an inevitable reactionary generation (reacting to [current year]) who will write good, maybe great stuff again. maybe sooner than later, as people realize all this tech and convienience leads to nothing but stagnation and misery [lack of fulfillment]. youll probably see something akin to the 'flower power' movement of the late '60s except itll be like Thoreau's Walden.

The artists of our age moved on to create video games. Dwarf Fortress is in MoMA.

I really hope you're right but I don't think you are :(

I'm not even sure if there are any good writers with a fair amount of popularity. Édouard Levé is the only modern writer i like, but then again he's dead so i would have to look onto some obscure wordpress/blog to find literature of the same vein.

>is this your bad ear? george baily i'll love you til the day i die.
My family used to watch this every year at about this time, and i watched it alone two nights ago. Never before had I even remotely considered that Donna Reed's character makes absolutely everything happen in that movie. Yet she does, kind of off to the side, gazing from a bar stool as a little girl, gazing from out the back of a taxi cab as a newly married woman. She behaves, and believes, so quietly.

No, I think he is most likely correct. It is only a matter of time.

I predict a heavy amount of theological reasoning within this movement as well, as a backlash to contemporary atheism.

I’ve been tossing around the idea of retooling the structure of American Psycho, The Outsiders, Fight Club, etc. to describe an incel. There’s certainly space for one of those this generation. I feel like I could pad out scenes, setting, and character to the level of those authors, I’m just not sure what plot to build it around.

Any ideas Veeky Forums?

More that you have thousands of books to read before you read anything contemporary.

Depends on your definition of Good, but right now we're trapped in this nebula of postmodern backwash that absolutely undermines the focus on both technical sharpness and conceptual greatness. Its not that nobody can write good literature anymore due to some kind of mythical degradation of the art, but more that the pressures aren't in balance to push the pearls up out of the sand.

I have one idea, and (you) may find it annoying, but here it is anyway. Read Flaubert's The Temptations of St. Anthony. Not because it will help in your movement from A to B, but because (I feel) it would be a good text to know as (you) progress.
Not a bad idea. Good luck and hny.

>tfw you realize there were probably good and interesting manuscripts were written that were discarded so some "women of color" bullshit would be published.

they could always self-publish, if they're not willing to make it work with the amount of technology and services we have at our disposal they're no better than anyone else whining about oppression.

It’s on my list. Thanks.

>Were any decent books written in 2017?

Exit West was pretty good, but the ending is bullshit.

I didn't read Lincoln in the Bardo because I'm not a fan of Saunders's short stories.

This was good, but the insane obsession with authorial identity by the major book reviewers is killing ones ability to look for new releases based on trusted reviewers.

I keep an eye on certain publishers which i trust to be discriminating, like Oneworld and Dalkney

This

But I know what I'll be reading from 2018

>reading books by ar*bs