Please convince me that there is nothing important to be found in the writings of "postmodern" philosophers and...

Please convince me that there is nothing important to be found in the writings of "postmodern" philosophers and sociologists. I just want to live my life without worrying about a potential ebil capitalists/consumerist conspiracy. Please.

Other urls found in this thread:

monoskop.org/images/b/ba/Sloterdijk_Peter_Bubbles_Spheres_I_Microspherology.pdf
m.youtube.com/watch?v=HKJlSY0DBBA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>I just want to live my life without worrying about a potential ebil capitalists/consumerist conspiracy

if thats your take-away from marcuse, then i just wouldnt worry my pretty little head about it user

I wrote this yesterday in another thread: Peter Sloterdijk is perhaps the most important German philosopher since Hegel, and this is not just my opinion. And his masterpiece was written this millenium, now fully Englished via semiotext(e), i.e. MIT Press. It's very interesting, even literary and therefore very readable. A trilogy. Pick up the first volume and see for yourself.
Or do yourself the favor of picking up You Must Change Your Life, first. Also through semiotext(e).

>semiotext(e)

jfc they're still around

Marcuse is garbage and I actually like many 'post-modernists'

>postmodernists
>hating capitalism
lmao

>the most important German philosopher since Hegel
>literally NOBODY talks about him or knows about him except some niche academics

"Hey guys, even though capitalism is what got us here in the first place, it's bad mmkay?

What's the title?

Sloterdijke is hardly niche as far as contemporary philosophers go

That's only because he's writing right now, and only because the majority of [us] hale from the United States of America. But in the coming years this will change.

Spheres

Spheres

I rinsed you for that yesterday and will again, Sloterdijk isn’t even the 5th most important German philosopher in the last century.

However Sphereology is at least amusing, and indeed literary so here is a link to the first volume;
monoskop.org/images/b/ba/Sloterdijk_Peter_Bubbles_Spheres_I_Microspherology.pdf

I’d recommend being pretty fluent in Heidegger, and having read Bachelard’s Poetics of Space first before really doing a deep dive.

t. Anglo

I've read all Bachelard, even The Philosophy of No- but (though good in itself, even inspirational STILL) it's not that important. Heidegger of course is, as is Foucault and Phenomenology in general.
I lost touch with that thread. Sorry for not responding.

He is very well known in Germany and Europe generally.

OP here. Still worried. What's the consensus?

That there's an important ENOUGH philosopher out there WRITING NOW that (you) should probably check out.
Is this fair?

That tells me virtually nothing. I wanted an answer, not a homework assignment.

Spheres

So far as 2018 is concerned youre pretty much fine, then. Carry on.

Fuck off, you're not OP. I'm OP.

The biggest difference between Marxism and a conspiracy theory, when it comes to capitalism, is that conspiracy theory is based on the idea that there is intent behind it all, that there is some room of cigar smoking men behind all the bad stuff, while to the intelligent Marxist (inb4 etc) the phenomena is the result of laws of motion dictated by the logic of the system, not any person or league of people’s machinations. It makes no sense to be angry at CEOs, or lobbyists, or whatever, if those individuals weren’t in those roles, some other individual would be, the problem is the the logic of the system dictates the necessity of the role itself. Conspiracies happen, and sometimes the events of history are changed by a conspiracy, but The Conspiracy is not real, the whole system works for a reason as simple as all the capitalists pursing their rational self interest, or losing their shirt if they don’t.

If anything, this should be more alarming than a conspiracy. Rather than a nefarious cabal being in control, the frightening reality is that nobody is in control. All we can do is make sense of the laws of motion best we can.

In the main I don’t think the archetypical “postmodernist” thinkers were correct, I think they go much too far, but this doesn’t mean I don’t think they raise important problems and have some really troubling points. Hate Derrida, Foucault, Loytard, Deleuze and so on all you like, we are living in their world. If you want a taste of what they have to say I’d encourage you to search up Rick Roderick and watch his lecture series ‘Self Under Siege’, and also all his other lecture series. And also here is a video on Derrida that I think is worth while; m.youtube.com/watch?v=HKJlSY0DBBA

you gotta tell me what you actually believe first

you could still call this a conspiracy theory, however (using a looser definition of the term)... one of those theories that can adequately explain every situation, yet is still untrue.

In the sense that a schizo guy will say that everyone has been trained to tell him he's just crazy, the world isn't controlled by aliens. Like unfalsifiable, I guess.

Marxism has an explanation for everything that happens (like Freudianism), but this alone doesn't make it true.

Damn, user. Youre going to worry. It's part of the adult-human package.

F*ck being an adult.

I feel ya. But this solves absolutely nothing of all that's coming on, like it or not. One pays for having been a kid.