>love art and aesthetics
>emotional and overly empathetic

Other urls found in this thread:

armandfbaker.com/translations/unamuno/san_manuel_bueno_martir.pdf
columbia.edu/itc/music/NYCO/carmen/images/merimee.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Join army

im OP

Im starting off 2018 by reading Infinite Jest by the way. I've heard good things about it here.

I have thought of this, but with the slightest self analysis, this is not an option at all

Man you sound insufferable

t. If reddit were a human being

>Im starting off 2018 by reading Infinite Jest by the way.
This is how you can tell OP is but an amusing troll. Irony this delicious just doesn't occur in real life.

>dont believe in anything except that happiness is humanity's only purpose
As opposed to sadness? Might as well said you believe in nothing. Anyway, if you think a book is gonna make you happy, it should be a philosophical one. Meditations by Aurelius is short and offers the basic Stoic view on happiness, although if you want the real deal you should read Epictetus. If you want to know why you're not happy, also consider reading Kaczynski.

Start with the Greeks

First step is to realise that you're not very clever, not yet anyway. Starting with the greeks is as good a place as any.

Sounds like you need your suburban upper middle class mommy to pump you full of more drugs.

Maybe OP saw pick related and decided to read Infinite Jest

You're not high intelligence. Especially not if you believe in hedonism.

My family is a poor ignorant religious one with a power abusive father

My mom acts like the family makes middle class money so nobody knows we're poor

At least im making it out this shithole in a few months.

I don't think im extremely intelligent. To be that, I believe one would need a good amount of control over their thoughts and know exactly how to use them.

I have a 130 IQ, I think very analytically but I get lost in my thoughts sometimes and nothing very in-depth comes out

I have potential

Unironically this. Being a utilitarian is just embarassing. Posts like this remind me 18 is too young a requirement for this board

Id rather read advanced literature that I can gain relevant knowledge from at the moment than run through a list of essentials aimlessly.

>I have potential

Oh sweet summer child. Don't we all? I hope you never have to grow up. It hurts.

What exactly are you getting at?

Something you don't want to know but will sadly learn regardless.

If your words were actually leading to point you wouldn't beat around the bush this hard

It's too late for you. You're just as stuck as the homeless on the street.

No matter what you do at this point will or can leave a permanent mark on this world because you chose to be reckless in life.

excuse me?

You cling to an abstract notion of "potential" because deep down (which in your case is not very deep) you know that you will not achieve anything. Potential lets you externalize your lack of achievement to the future. The thing is that with you the future moves as well. At some point you will start noticing your lack of real achievement, you'll start questioning if you really had potential in the first place, but you will be quick to placate yourself by moving the potentiality to the future yet again. You are still young so people will support your self-absorbed illusions of potential greatness for some years to come, but if you do not separate yourself from the identification with what you think you could become, you will end up as nothing but a sad shadow of a human being. Fuck your potential, try actually being something for once.

P.S.: start by leaving this thread, instead of refreshing it like the self-absorbed little shit you are.

I completely understand what you are saying but this isn't something that is true with everyone who claims they have potential, it can't be. In the past 5 months I've achieved things I never thought that I could by simply evaluating my own mind. I have no doubt of the things I can achieve, but achieving them is a process. I am patient, and I am growing. I have no insecurities of potential failure, because I am not afraid to fail and I know I will many times. Failure is part of growth. Pretty simple shit I am saying here.

Your insecurities and dissatisfaction with the world is showing. Do not take them out on anonymous teenagers online.

Yeah, you're right. He just reminded me of the undergrad idiots in my philosophy seminars in the worst way possible.

You do you, buddy.

Try not to become the ignorant bitter old saggy dick faggot that sees nothing in youth

Oh, I would like to think I'm far from becoming that. I just hate people going on about "potential", "IQ", being "into psychology", "hedonism" etc.
Been around too many people like that for too long, the most notable one being myself.

>hedonist
>high iq
>says he is overly empathetic as he writes this shit
in all honesty Infinite Jest is the book for you

>>dont believe in anything except that happiness is humanity's only purpose
>>cant fucking find fucking happiness

seems like happiness isn't the only purpose of humanity you dunning kruger head case

you've figured out HUMANITY'S PURPOSE! Why even read?

Just get out and there live. Learn from failures. Make friends. Exercise. Dont lie to yourself. Keep yourself as busy as possible. Don't be afraid to fail. And more importantly don't listen to any of these assholes on Veeky Forums.

You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders.

But as for books, I haven't read much but I'd recommend the alchemist, mediations, the republic, siddhartha

Check out The Foundation for Exploration by Sean Goonan

>emotional and overly empathetic
it's a short novella takes about a half hour to read but you will read it multiple times: san manuel bueno martir by miguel de unamuno. read it in spanish if you're able. here's an adequate english translation:
armandfbaker.com/translations/unamuno/san_manuel_bueno_martir.pdf

>analyze every human I meet
have fun analyzing Don Jose:
columbia.edu/itc/music/NYCO/carmen/images/merimee.pdf

Your first problem is that you believe happiness is humanity's only purpose. Man is only happy when he has a purpose and is actively working towards it. In order to have happiness, you need purpose. Happiness is only achieved in the meaningful pursuit of something else.

Your second problem is drugs. What drugs are you on? Can you get off of them? Can you function without them?

Try religion. I find having a transcendental ideal at the center of the universe, a knowledge that there is a way that life ought to be lived, is significantly helpful in continuing forward movement. I recommend a reflective Christianity in the vein of Aquinas.

Can you go to university, or to a trade school? What country are you in?

This is what I did and I've felt less empty since then:
>read Swann's Way by Proust after watching the School of Life YouTube video on Proust and how art is the cloesest thing to the meaning of life
>read this alongside War of Art by Pressfield and Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
>this combo helped me see the value in art, pursuing my passions, build emotional intelligence, and put things like wealth/social status/vanity, and even love, in perspective
>The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky to help maybe understand that maybe there's a God or higher power at play in the universe. And the character Zosima's concept of Active Love will change your life
>James Joyce, as much as possible, if you love art and plumbing the depths of your own mind, internal battles, James Joyce is god-tier for this.
>consider joining an MMA gym, as it helps build discipline, health, confidence, social skills, work ethic, all of which channels into every other aspect of life

maybe the bottom of a dry well in the Sahara is where you’ll find inspiration user ???

one of the most reddit things I've read in ages kill yourself

>Don't believe in anything except that happiness is humanity's only purpose
Read the Greeks and cut that shit out

your greentext is like some sort of reddit bingo

You leave a permanent mark on the world whether you like it or not. It's up to you how much and what kind.

MOSSACK! DISHA DISHA!

The Plague.

Get the fuck out of your own head, and get your head out of your ass OP.
Keep a journal, write in it daily with the intention of sorting out your issues and feelings, but you are only allowed to write in it if you complete a written piece, whether it be flash fiction, short story, poem (not a cheap ass 5-7-5 haiku), whatever.