2017 accomplishment thread

>tfw readlet

Any advice on reading more without getting overwhelmed? I plan to take on some longer and more difficult books (by my standards) and I don't know how I'll manage. There are so many titles that interest me, even if it's just genre fiction, and I feel like I'm never going to get to them because of my slow pace.

You will never read a lot if you force things you don't like unto yourself. Keep reading what you would usually do until something more challenging piques your interest.

Start with Ulysses

Try reading in every possible situation you find yourself in. In public transport, in toilet, in queue, in bed before sleep. That will add up to a couple of hours after a week.

>keep reading jack vance
that will do nothing

i refuse to believe OP isnt baiting

is this a gr year in review thread

Considering this was my first year of serious reading.
I say to myself. Not bad, not bad at all.
Thus year I will double the numbers and so help me god.

Sell me on Talvisota

I finished Gateway a few days ago. What did you think of it?

btw the two books whose titles aren't on the icons are The Northern Caves and Unsong, both of which I liked a lot.

Yeah but a lot of good things are hidden behind difficulty barriers and I'll never get to them if I only read pageturners.
I guess I don't enjoy the experience of reading as much as I enjoy "having read", if that makes sense. With nonfiction it's obvious - I like new knowledge, but even with fiction I seem to enjoy reminiscing and contemplating stories and sentences much more than I enjoy flipping the pages; the latter I tend to do impatiently and in short bursts.

I actually do that a lot, which is ironic because I don't read that much when I'm just sitting at home (which I have opportunities for as I'm a semi-NEET)

It would be very subtle bait, don't you think? The book list is pretty eclectic and it's not like I said I liked all of them - Ready Player One is really as shitty as they told me and I regret not listening (and not dropping it 3 chapters in).

I loved it. The psychological stuff is pretty banal but also in a way that somehow hits me directly. Like that quote:

>Anyway, that's what life is, just one learning experience after another, and when you're through with all the learning experiences you graduate and what you get for a diploma is, you die.

I mean Pohl was obviously not the first to think about death this way. But the way he put it just resonated with me strongly.

What website or app is this?

I think it's Goodreads

500 page intelligence assessment of WW from a holistic, realpolitik, non-hindisight POV. I'm not a good salesman, am I? It will probably bore you to death unless you are autistic Fingolian.

GR

Thanks

I unironically started my Veeky Forums journey with Ulysses. I am Irish though so that made it slightly less murky.

fuck off kantbot knockoff

u r a retarded

why the fuck are twitter pseud "personalities" constantly getting mentioned on this board now?

Try to tackle to rest of Hemingway and get more into more Lovecraft, there should be an intro to Lovecraft thread up now. If you're into sci-fi see pic related. Have fun this year, user.

Is there a chart like this but for horror?

MOSSACK! DISHA, DISHA!