Leviticus

Is it necessary to push through this or can I just move on to another book in the Bible? If so, which?

Other urls found in this thread:

biblehub.com/jeremiah/7-21.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why would you skip the best part?

push through it faggot. you can't hold a candle if you haven't read it cover to cover

my i embarrassed my devout christian housemate by reading the bible cover to cover while he's only read mark and luke and john and goes to church and think he's saved and I'm more involved than him in all of it, i called him a phony

Scared of a bit of fagbashing?

>think he's saved and I'm more involved than him in all of it, i called him a phony
calm down jack

SMINEM

>Aaron shall dash the blood on the north side of the altar, and the east side, and the west side, and the south side. He shall smear blood on the horns of the altar, each horn being smeared with blood. The sons of Aaron shall remove the fat and make a burnt offering on the altar, a pleasing odor to the LORD, but the portion of the sons of Aaron they shall keep, it is their portion [continues for 200 pages]
Woah... so this... is the beauty of scripture

It goes over the same shit in Deutoronomy but better written.

You pretty much want to be reading suplimentary material for most books of the bible. It will stop you from making the plebiest of pleb mistakes and will make the dryer books more interesting.

I just finished it. But skip it if you don't like it. Nothing particularly important happens in it unless you're interested in Mosaic law.

This was the best scene from Gummo

I'll give you the quick rundown on Leviticus, which I learned from a Christian Jew, learned in the Hebrew, who makes a living repairing copies of the Torah.
The Torah has five books, and in the middle of the middle book we find a passage sometimes called the heart of the Torah, "and ye shall be holy, for I am holy" (Leviticus 11:44). Leviticus is the book, out of all the others in the Hebrew scriptures, which instructs God's people on how to be holy. It does so by giving a lengthy set of commandments and prescriptions, which if followed are sufficient to make God's people holy.
The commandments fall into three major categories: proper diet, proper sex, and proper worship. And so there are three organs of holiness in the human body: the belly, the loins, and the knees. The belly- what one eats and drinks; the loins, one's sexual conduct; the knees, what one bows down to worship. And so in Leviticus we find dietary restrictions, no pork, no shellfish. We find rules for sexual conduct, no homosexuality, no bestiality, no close relatives. And we find many ordinances and ceremonies detailing proper worship of YHWH.
Note the impact of all of this on the New Testament. The Pharisees were legalists, and believed that by strictly observing the Law they could be holy. In one instance, the scribes and Pharisees criticized Jesus' disciples for not observing lengthy ceremonial washings prior to eating- remember, the belly is one of the organs of holiness. But then Jesus comes out with his masterful teaching, "Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man" (Matthew 15:10). Jesus takes the legalistic reading of the Torah espoused by the scribes and Pharisees and breathes life into it, the new life of spirit and not the oldness of letter. He reminds them that the great two commandments are not rules to be checked off a list, but to love God (here he quotes the Shema, Deuternomy 6:5) and to love one's neighbor as oneself (Leviticus 19:18).
Much of the conflict in the New Testament, then, amounts to exegetical disputes around the Torah. If you want to understand it, and you should, you need to read the Pentateuch through and through.

>Animal sacrifice indistinguishable from that of Mediterranean polytheists
so this...is the power...of monotheism...#woah

I have a book on Canaanite sacrificial inscriptions, they describe literally the same stuff as in the Bible. They even had religious booths for an Autumn festival, just like the jewish Sukkoth.

wow really makes you think user

>it's Malkovich's brother, Dewski

kek these

Skip it, Jeremiah 7:21-22
21 Thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel; Put your burnt offerings unto your sacrifices, and eat flesh.

22 For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices:

God pretty much forgot that part too.

is that Dewey or the Gummo kid

>Leviticus is only about sacrifice

>these are the same people that call JP a pseud

If God said the first seven chapters are bullshit, then I'll throw out the whole book of Lev. Then christians can even move on from hating gays and focusing on the true enemy, literacy and chronology.

*start focusing (we all make grammar mistakes, right god?)

>If God said the first seven chapters are bullshit
Except he didn't do that. The KJ translation is a bullshit one that is actively discouraged as a window into what the bible actually says.
Even with that you misinterpret Jeremiah in the translation you present. Jeremiah 7:21 is literally just saying add your sacrifices with your food and then eat it, not that sacrifices shouldn't be made. biblehub.com/jeremiah/7-21.htm
Here are over 20 other translations which prove my point.
As for Jeremiah 7:22 I quote the NIV which is the translation preferred in academia because of its accuracy to the original. "For when I brought your ancestors out of Egypt and spoke to them, I did not just give them commands about burnt offerings and sacrifices".
The KJ and most older translations distort the actual message of the Old Testament because of their Christian faith.

I'm glad God gave you the right version with the right words, and now you have given it to me. The NIV cleared all the other inconsistencies and contradictions too. Thanks buddy.

>he thinks that engineering faith is preferable to Christian faith for translating Christian works
>Contemporary Idiolect Faith

Shit, if you made it through Exodus, Leviticus should be a breeze.

>how to assemble your portable desert tabernacle kit in 1,387 easy steps

>hold a candle
>calm down jack
but why wou

>I quote the NIV which is the translation preferred in academia
NRSV and RSV are used in academia, the NIV really sucks.