Learning Languages Thread

ITT: What language we are currently learning, why, experience, questions and all that gay shit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oXYddJ_tonk
amazon.co.uk/Russian-Stories-Dual-Language-Dover-Language/dp/0486262448.
books.google.com/books/about/Danish.html?id=HpVjlaMCLrQC&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Learning Hieroglyphics right now before I become a student of Egyptology pls dont bully me STEM anons
The books by Bill Manley are very good for basic and intermediate learning, and it's been remarkably more easy than i've anticipated.
>questions
No questions, but I hope to progress to more eastern cultures, I have many theories in regards to ancient and classical history, and if I do become an Archaeologist, I'd like to learn Sanskrit to gain the key to the east.

Learning German because I love the culture, literature, and architecture

Latin because Cicero

Learning German because I'm a philosophyfag

Hieroglyphs, user!

Hiero- (sacred) glyphs (symbols)

Hieroglyphic is the adjective! "A hieroglyphic script is made of up hieroglyphs." Technically it shouldn't matter because you can use a plural adjective to stand in for the nouns it is describing but people will still be snooty about it

>I have many theories
Try to maintain the paradoxical tension between realizing all of your ideas and theories are shit, and that you will look stupid and naive to any expert you try to tell them to, but ALSO that you should never let go to your pet theories and ideas because they are the seeds from which your real lifelong projects will grow.

You're a rare breed so don't give up! If you just pursue learning the languages, you will be leagues ahead of your competition by the time you get to grad school. Just maintain that passion user.

Don't forget to learn Greek and French too since they built the fields of archaeology and egyptology, and learn the history of the discipline and the history of the Near East as well. Also, read Jan Assman - a friend once recommended him to me and he's great.

>because I love the culture
youtube.com/watch?v=oXYddJ_tonk

Spanish right now, then maybe afrikaans just because it's apparently easy (I'm Swedish). If I still feel like learning new languages by then I'll study French, German or Arabic

Latin. I studied it in high school, but never got that far. Hoping to read texts from the middle ages and renaissance and move on to the other romance languages.

>Ancient Greek
>because its a beautiful tongue
>1 week
>need actual texts to help

Learning german in my spare time right now, it is going swell. I am learning it because of the literature, and also because I just want to learn another language. I find the different cases and such quite enjoyable.

>tfw you will never have a german qt yell or talk dirty in german

That's cool, man, best of luck. Egyptian is pretty aesthetic sounding imo.

What's Cicero at his best?

>I find the different cases and such quite enjoyable.
Same, German grammar was always such a chore, but after the Stockholm syndrome kicked in I actually started to find it enjoyable. Best of luck user

At what point can you call yourself a polyglot

after 3

Rushan
been using some apps since the sumer. I've become an understander way quicker than I imagined.

Checking a dictionary, a polyglot is someone who speaks "several" languages. "Several" constitutes "more than two". So you would need to know three languages at least.

I think it may depend on where you live. Most people here are raised bilingual and learn English from a very young age so I would scoff at someone calling himself a polyglot because he speaks the two native languages and English

what are some good sites/apps to use?

The app called 'Books'.

Duolingo or Lingvist are free. They'll get you to know basics, but aren't terribly good at getting you to know why the language functions the way it does.

I recommend those apps, reading, discord and foreign films

Currently taking a Latin course at university. Took 4 years of French in high school, and studied Spanish, German, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, and Portuguese on my own. I'm also working on Japanese right now.

Really, if you know one European language, you have a connection to them all. Hence why I'm learning Latin. I want to get a grasp on them all.

I second Duolingo. Use it to brush up on French and keep my Japanese in check.

I have heard spanish being referred to as a majestic language

do you agree? Why do you think some people feel so

People like to say grand things about whatever languages they know.

Islam is a complicated culture though.

Duolingo and Memrise are good places to start.

Lingvist and Clozemaster are decent to use.

JW language is a pretty unique language learning app made by Jehova's Witnesses. It's eared toward proselytization of course, but there are some really unique tools in that app worth checking out.

LingQ is a good website but you gotta pay to really get to use it.

Jeg har studeret dansk for to uger nu. Jeg begyndte at lær dansk, fordi min forste-mor givet mig Kierkegaards Bladartikler fra 1857 i dansk, og jeg vil gerne at læs det. Jeg studerer på Duolingo og kigger på dansk TV for omtrent tre til fire timer per dag. Jeg tror jeg lærer hurligt, men jeg onsker jeg havde personer at snakke med.

I have studied Danish for two weeks now. I began to learn Danish because my birthmother gave me Kierkegaard's Bladartikler from 1857 in Danish, and I would like to read it. I study on Duolingo and watch Danish TV for three to four hours per day. I believe that I am learning fast, but I wish I had people to speak with.

Been learning Russian for about 6 months, so I'm not at the level yet to read anything complicated. I'm interested in Russian literature but I wonder if I should read a translation now and then the original Russian later, or if I should just put off those works until my skills have developed enough to understand the original. Might take a few years though.

I'm struggling with sanskrit now. Its hard, but i also don't put enough effort in. I just want to know many languages to be a teacher or something, but i get depressed when i think my peers only want to learn english, and maybe french. Maybe i'll pick french later. Other language i want to learn of my own volition is german; and arabic because i hate the jews

>French
>required to take four French courses at University, and you need seven to minor in the language, so why not
>also I wanna read Baudelaire in the original language

>Norwegian
>superior to Sweden, less potato than Danish

I'm actually enjoying both languages a lot more than I expected. French media never really interested me when I was younger, but now I consume probably an equal amount French and English media.

Sanskrit is the hardest language I've ever studied, by far. Don't be disheartened; you're not alone.

Ukrainian, because I truely enjoy it. I'm already fluent or close in 4 languages, So it's mainly for fun.
>Egyptology
Kobenhavn?
Jeg kan sagtens forstå hvad du skriver, omend der er mange fejl. Men godt klaret, fortsæt endelig! Snart kan du kommunikere (på skrift i hvert fald) med alle os nordiske overmennesker!

Tak for kommentarerne. Jeg håber på forbedre med ovelse.

Hebrew, unironically
It's honestly the hardest fucking language I've ever tried to learn and I don't know why. It's not like it's particularly difficult or whatever, I just can't remember shit. I found it fucking easier to learn Hawaiian than this shit

Ovelse gor mester, kammerat! Det er et ordsprog du sikkert også kender fra engelsk.

Thanks user, solid advice

>What language we are currently learning
Scottish Gaelic

>why
muh ancestors

>experience
its extremely difficult because i smoked a lot growing up and cant retain information well

>questions and all that gay shit
no

>English and German
>why
because I never learned them in the first place and they are the only languages I know

>and arabic because i hate the jews
yes, yes, good kuffar

Latin.

Does anyone know if there is a collection of movies and/or songs in Latin? I'm not at the point where reading classical texts and working from there is possible.

Husk at om du kan lese dansk, kan du ganske enkelt også lese norsk, så lenge du unngår nynorsk. Ibsen og Hamsun er ikke meget forskjellig fra dansk.

shmaga shmoogen shmeegen
jeg er et pinnsvin
horebukk

moonspeak, because not being able to read moonrunes greatly hinders my ability to enjoy muh untranslated mango

How do I start learning Farsi, anons?
I'm not learning it for the literature but that will hopefully be a great boon later on since I've heard their writings are decent.

Are you asking for a book? Otherwise, I've heard Persian is fairly straight forward for Euro speakers and it could be learned using the latin alphabet, although most will teach with the arabic script.

Latin films would be interesting. I'd like to know if there's any in ancient Greek. Closest I can think of is Gibson's Passion, which is done in Aramaic and some Latin iirc.

>films in latin
Hang on user I think Charlie Chaplainopolous made one in 1450

I'm asking for a general guide. Most learning platforms mentioned ITT don't support Farsi, and I'm hesitant to shell out 100$+ for Rosetta Stone, which I've heard isn't even that great. Plus, I don't know whether to learn the alphabet or not. Is it difficult? Is it helpful?

wtf never knew danish was this similar to english

>Plus, I don't know whether to learn the alphabet or not.
Of course you should - don't start your language journey with being retarded. It will be worth it, lad.

sorry user you need to be adirect descendant of king David to get a grasp of this glorious tongue

the saddest part is that I am a jew among fag-jews

achi do me a favour and read A.D. Gordon, zionism is the way to the ubermensch

Is that really so? Do I need to be ethnically jewish to get a grasp and immerse myself in jewish culture? I knew it was closed nation, but come on now.

i meant that in jest user :)) by all means you are very welcome!

>ywn be god's chosen people
why even life

Thank you user. Once I get fluent enough in german I'll start learning hebrew!
Since you seem to be well read, could you recommend me some good works on jewish culture? Obviously you use the old testament, but is that all there is to Judaism? If so, what translation do english-speaking jews read?

pic related

5+
2 languages is the minimum for educated people outside of the anglosphere, some countries also have 2 languages everyone knows on top of English and adding another language on top of that hardly makes you a polyglot so you need at least 5

why learn anything other than English? it is THE standard global language

if you don't already speak English it should definitely be at the top of your list but if you do speak English already then learning another language can only benefit you

I am high level French and I'm learning Russian at university from a beginner's level.

get a side-by-side book.
I have this one: amazon.co.uk/Russian-Stories-Dual-Language-Dover-Language/dp/0486262448. I like it because it has stories by well-known writers, so it's not just some sketchy бaбyшкa writing stories in her kitchen

learning spanish
tried to learn french
decided spanish was easier.

I want to learn gaelic
>tfw so horribly overcome with self-hate and anxiety I honestly believe I'm not allowed to learn a language because I wasn't born there and I'm not part of the culture
I swear to fucking christ, I could go to church every day for 100 fucking years and I'd still say something like "yeah, I'm not like, a real christian, or anything, so I don't want to bother anyone by showing up at [random extracurricular fun-time activity]"

Hvad er din anmeldelse på Knausgård og Min Kamp? Jeg vil måske være interessant i prover at læse det, hvis det er ikke meget hardt.

Danish is classified as one of the easiest languages to learn from english by the American foreign service. Fluency can be reached in as little as 500 hours of practice. This book is interesting as it includes passages that should be intelligible to English speakers without any training at all.
books.google.com/books/about/Danish.html?id=HpVjlaMCLrQC&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false

That's really fucking cool. I'm Irish and am very well versed in Gaeilge, alot of cross over between out two languages and you can kinda get the gist of what's going on if you strain your ear.

daily reminder

You sound like a pathetic little man

Someone give a quick rundown on korean. What are the major sticking points for learning it?
I'm a native speaker of english and have learned irish and french to a good level so it's all looking quite alien atm.

if you're going to learn a gook language learn Chinese or Japanese or even Vietnamese, all have a much more interesting much less soul-less culture than Korea

RUDE! but fair.

Amazing alphabet. VERY polite culture, which you need to be aware of. Sounds good, and when you tell people that you are learning Korean, it will give less of a weeb vibe than Japanese. All in all; easy to start, hard to master. Enjoyable.

b-but i want to learn korean
Have you learned any?

Jewishness is solitude, suffering, transgression, intelligence and prophecy. Get to know these, then read the OT, Kafka, Proust, Schulz, Pasternak, Bialik and Mandelshtam; listen to some Mendelssohn, Mahler, Schoenberg, Ligeti, Gilels, Heifetz and Horowitz; take a look at Modigliani, Chagall, Schoenberg, Pasternak and Pissaro; ponder on some Talmud tractates, Maimonides, Spinoza, Benjamin, Buber, some Wittgenstein, some Marx, some Freud, some Husserl and a tiny bit of Shestov, get to know the history. There's a lot to do but the problem is we're a STEMfag nation, so most of our culture is both unaccessible to most and diluted in the formatting that is necessary in those fields. I've voluntarily excluded some famous names so as to keep the list reasonably short.

thank you user, your kindness is appreciated. God bless.

my pleasure my frogposting friend

only 16% of the world population speaks English, more or less the same proportion as Mandarin Chinese

problem is outside of China and Southeast Asia nobody speaks Chinese
but anywhere in the world you go educated people will speak English

China will never become the lingua franca because of their writing system while English is becoming more entrenched by the year

Why you want to learn Korean user?
I'm learning it as I live here and it's functionally important for me to not be an illiterate but I simply can't find anything to latch onto to enjoy the language or spark my interest.
From what I can tell there's little to no literary culture (web toons?), the TV shows are the worst, kpop hurts my soul and the majority of people speak at a default level of SHOUT. On top of that I don't even like how it sounds - particularly the clearing phlegm from throat sound that's used to denote anything ranging from mild surprise to anger.

I previously lived in Japan and studied diligently to the point I could enjoy manga and then used this as a stepping stone to progress to novels. Anyhow I'm finding it really hard to find any motivation in Korea.

>China will never become the lingua franca because of their writing system
True but I believe within 50 years the majority of non-chinese will know the meaning (if not pronunciation) of at least 250 kanji. I think these will slowly filter into daily use but we'll continue to pronounce the characters as English or whatever our native language is.

> within 50 years the majority of non-chinese will know the meaning of at least 250 kanji
Nope.

>kanji
they're called hanzi m8
also you are completely bananas here, this is not happening

I'm learning Hebrew and slowly becoming a rabid philosemite.
Are you actually Israeli? Are you STEM? If not, how are lit and history courses in Israel? I'm under the impression that it is mostly neglected and that it is basically R&D, the Country.

Have family living there who I will be staying with and working for a couple years. I have no idea what I want to do in life so I'm jut gonna chill with my cousin for a few years, save and then get a degree and go from there.

There are plenty of worthwhile and artistic Korean films

Gimme names

In that case what you waiting for? Start studying now. Korea's a pretty comfy place to live despite my ongoing struggles with the language.

You’re a loser and they won’t accept you desu

No one gives a shit, you dumb ESL teacher

no i'm a french jew, and yes i'm in STEM. You shouldn't take my word for it but I would be tempted to say that at least history is ok since they have lots of recent famous historians and archeologists and stuff. lit I don't know, but they have decent living writers which is not that common

explain your philosemitism please

I’m thinking or doing philosophy/classics majors at uni, but then I need to pick between Greer and Latin. Which language is the patrician’s choice?

can someone give me a cool bit of prose in german so i can have some practice translating

i-i just want to have fun with my cousin while saving for a few years user whats the problem?

===ACHTUNG!===

ALLES TURISTEN UND NONTEKNISCHEN LOOKENPEEPERS! DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÜR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN! ODERWISE IST EASY TO SCHNAPPEN DER SPRINGENWERK, BLOWENFUSEN UND POPPENCORKEN MIT SPITZENSPARKEN. IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS. ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.

not that user but de Senectute and de natura deorum are great. De Officis is the best though. I've only also read De Amicitae and De Oratore though...

Both

I learned English (French is my first language), German, Spanish and Latin over the years. Currently, I am trying to add Japanese to the list. It being the first non-indo-european language, I am struggling quite a bit, desu.

I'm currently learning english. I'm pissed with the great amount of irregular verbs and their lack of systematic to conjugate.

est-ce que tu les parles suffisamment bien pour lire par exemple du Goethe, du Lucrèce ou Don Quichotte ? C'est un de mes objectifs très chers d'apprendre le latin, les langues romanes, l'allemand et le russe (je parle déjà anglais et hébreu bien). Tu pourrais m'indiquer comment tu t'y es pris, et en combien de temps ?

Can I ask what texts/textbooks you guys have used and would recommend? I’m interested in learning German, Greek and Latin, but I’m unsure where to start.

I’d be autodidactic, and I honestly learn better from books than any online program I’ve tried before.

English, German, Vietnamese, Russian, and Japanese next year