Read it's about depression

>read it's about depression
>thought it would about being depressed over the purposelessness of existence, the insignificance of it all
>it's about a bunch of junkie pieces of shit whining because they went more than 2 hours without getting their fix

>it's about a bunch of junkie pieces of shit whining because they went more than 2 hours without getting their fix
It'snot just that

The trick is to ignore those parts and focus solely on Steeply and Marathe

Best part is Mario saving the coach's soul, and in turn, saving us all. I cried bros

>caring about ANY of the Incandenza's shits whose first name is not James

Pleb

Hal is best character. Himself was a terrible filmmaker and a dumb alcoholic.

>le dude weed lmao smart kid who can't communicate is le best character
I want you to leave. The only reason Hal is in the story is for us to feel sorry of PGITW when she is describing that thanksgiving dinner where she wants to fucking punch Hal in the face

Hal is the heart of the story. He's the only one who can actually see how degenerate his family is

>thinking his family matters. At all

Well obviously
>mfw you think it's about Marathe and Steeply or worse, Don Gately

>Stapley and Cripple
>Meaningful at all
Good one.

It's also about tennis.

There is no possible way to feed an entire human arm down a garbage disposal let alone two.

>muh infinite jest
>isn't it sadly ironic how Mario is the most noble character? Because of our hangups amirite
>junkies are not to blame
>look, this is the way things are
>ok next 40 pages are about AA meetings
>ok next 60 pages are about a tennis match, but it's like a metaphor get it?

It's about the decadent Bourgeoisie of the late American Empire. Read it if you want a window into a sick mindset that has become totally detached from reality.

steeply and marathe was the most boring and weakest part of the book in my opinion. He could've cut at last 50 pages out.

>detached from reality.
But what IS reality?

I quite like it

Why do people get upset that existence doesn't have a purpose?

I distinctly remember having faith in a god, and when it stopped I felt a huge void in me tear open, but I don't feel bad that my existence is ultimately pointless because I care deeply about other human beings, and, in a sense, I've constructed my own purpose.

I don't understand why people would care about something so silly unless they were deep in a depressive hole due to isolation, sadness, etc.

I think it makes you a very powerful force when you accept that there's no good reason to suffer through this world, but it's not hard to create/find a reason. These thoughts aren't normal anyway. Hunter-gatherers would never have them. It's the product of industrialization/agrarian societies and access to an information super high-way.

I mean, sometimes I cry that there's no god to justify all of the pain that is to be in this world, but I know that I am, in my own right, a deity, and I can weave this reality into whatever I desire it to be, so why should I be upset that there is no higher-power?

Even if it's a small part, it's still significant over time.

I am the weed guy who locks himself away with an ounce and closes the blinds. I used to be the junky guy withdrawing in the public bathroom.
DFW was spot on, and your horizons are too narrow for you to realize it.

My purpose is to cuck skinnyfat soygoys like this balding beta

>in a sense, I've constructed my own purpose.

No you didn't, you just subconsciously repressed the despair you felt and are operating on pure illusion like a cultist. You're more religious now than you were before and you don't even know it
Do you think people just kill themselves for a laugh? You just haven't got to the point where you grasp the senselessness of all human life and relationships they have. If you felt what I've felt you'd be fucking writhing on the ground like I poured boiling water on you, you'd be twitching like a bitch stuck with needles

Hey man I was born without a soul, what do you make of that?

>Hal is best character
No.
>Pemulis > Mario > Gately > Orin > Lenz > Marathe > the rest > Hal
Hal is a traitor who turned his back on the Pemster when he needed it most.

>Nobody realizes the story is actually all about MP
Did any of you even read the book?

It's all senseless if you want it to be.
On the micro level, everything counts.

I wonder how you've come to see the world the way you see it.

>I am also a junkie piece of shit so you missed the point

what

>is actually all about MP
Gately's mom's boyfriend? He's mentioned like twice in the whole thing.

The Pemster said nothing to Hal about John Wayne and Avril. FUCK him, he was supposed to be Hal's friend.

What was he supposed to tell him, that his mom was fucking John Wayne dressed as Orin?

Yes. Hal probably knew it anyway.

At the same time, I think we've just got different brains wired in different ways.

You can't feel the way I feel when you interact with other human beings, and vice-versa.

A truth I've found is that my meaning won't work for all people on the earth due to different brain-wiring. Not all people have internalized, uncontrollable emotions toward other people, so the lives of others are pointless to them.

I can't shake the feeling that you've not grown in the best of homes, and this coupled with your natural disposition has influenced the way you see life, other people, and existence itself.

I felt a deep inner love for my sister that was comparable to the fear of death. The judge that was observing the wedding didn't understand that I could care so much about another human being.

>tfw you realize there's only one character in Infinite Jest and his name is David Foster Wallace

>I felt a deep inner love for my sister that was comparable to the fear of death. The judge that was observing the wedding didn't understand that I could care so much about another human being.
So you married your sister? Is she hot? Are your kids retarded?

lol

If that was your interpretation why do you even read books? Like, seriously...did you not read the paragraphs from Gately philosphing on the existence of God, on the paradoxes of addiction and the struggle of poverty and childhood abuse?>??

Kek, but no.

I watched her get married, and I felt like I was dying because I knew she was to be torn from the home we've grown in, and I would never really see the same person I've always known ever again once we start to grow apart.

Some people don't have that love for their siblings.

America's moral, economic, social and racial decline, what else?

Not to mention the fucking CLIMAX of the novel where Gately talks about "no moment is unendurable", about enduring pain.

>I watched her get married, and I felt like I was dying because I knew she was to be torn from the home we've grown in, and I would never really see the same person I've always known ever again once we start to grow apart.

The climax is Mario helping Barry Loach though

That's the joke.

>Sigmund Freud
>Right about anything

Pemulis is the working class hero just fucking shit up on ETA

If he had any balls or brain he'd be taking down the wheelchair canadians by himself. He's useless

Fucking Lenz?

>Hal digs up Himself's head with Gately and Joelle but it's too late because Orin was there already
So what happens then? Is Hal immune to the Entertainment?

Wrong

Marathe>PGOAT>POWER GAP>Gately>Himself>Steeply>Mario>Pemulius>John Wayne>Orin>Their mother>POWER GAP INTO OBLIVION>Hal

If Gately isn't your fave character you can fuck right off.

Square Headed Meat Loaf Making Bastard

The Pale King is so much better than this Barthian crap. I can't believe I even read it all the way through

Randy Lenz >>>>Gately>>>>>Permulis>JOI>Orin>Marathe>Mario>the rest

OBJECTIVE RANKINGS
1. Mario
2. Himself
3. Avril
4. Gately
5. Joelle
6. Hal
7. Steeply
8. Orin
9. Marathe
10. Ortho
11. Pemulis
999999. Lenz

>Eric Clipperton not as the undoubtable and indisputable number one character

when will you plebs learn

Avril #3? Nigga what you smoking. That hoe a crazy sexual predator.

She genuinely loves her children. She'd cry tears of joy if Orin spoke to her again

I think you missed the part where IJ was an angry rant against Sally FW

She'd brutally murder her children and fuck their bodies if she could get away with it.

only bad things about this post are Pemulis' misspelt name and the absence of Lenz right before Wayne

interesting. as a non american i always wonder how did wasp lose so much power, especially in the media

living in their utopiavilles, why should they care what the great hordes do with their time as long as they pay their bills and show up to work?

She was milfy though.

maybe because (((someone else))) grabbed the power?

Joelle too high. She was a huge pseud and Himself said she wasn't anything special look wise.

WASPS were always crypto jews. Many outside observers noted the resemblance between the culture of the 13 colonies and old testament jewish culture. Names such as Silas, Zachary and Benjamin were common amongst the puritans and their descendants. All americans are spiritually jewish to some degree or another, the anglo is in essence a jew.

The arrogant complacence that comes with success.

> jews and WASPS are the same because they have similar names

there is no brainlet image good enough

And thus, another pseud falls to the infinite meme of jest
Well done, Veeky Forums, well done

>Names such as Silas, Zachary and Benjamin were common amongst the puritans and their descendants
>what is the popularity of the Bible (even to non jews), Sender?

So this is the power of a college degree... it really IS worth it

>Anyone other than Orin being #1
>Anyone other than Peemster being #2
okay I guess I agree Mario should be top 3 bit this list is shit
Good bait I guess, I actually got mad

Orin betrays his family and his country because he's afraid of cockroaches. He makes Randy Lenz seem honorable