My Philosophy 101 Reading List:

>Rene Descartes - Meditations on first philosophy: in which the existence of God and the distinction of the soul from the body are demonstrated
>David Hume - An enquiry concerning human understanding; A letter from a gentleman to his friend in Edinburgh; An abstract of a treatise of human nature
>Friedrich Nietzsche - On the genealogy of morality
>Plato - Gorgias
>Immanuel Kant - Grounding for the metaphysics of morals; with, On a supposed right to lie because of philanthropic concerns
>John Stuart Mill - Utiliatarianism
>Anthony Weston - A rulebook for arguments

Is this good or is it shite? What am I in for?

>not starting with the greeks

We might start with the Greeks if we read Gorgias first.

Seems pretty good OP. Covers all the important movementswhile avoiding PoMo dreck. I'm honestly jealous of you.

>this unironically

Most of these take significant inspiration from the greeks, and if you don't have a solid foundation you're going to get lost on some of their ideas (particularly with Nietzsche).

>not the Republic

Why have you done this.

Aside from Gorgias (which I think we'll read first because it deals with the distinction between philosophy and rhetoric and the purpose of each), what else should I read of "the greeks?"

>Why have you done this.

Because it's a required elective (oxymoron, I know) and I din't want to be in the class with the numale professor spouting feminist memes.

don't read so much fucking ethics

also do NOT read Utilitarianism by Mill. The arguments in that one are unimaginably bad. If you're a utilitarianism it will (rightfully) make you ashamed of yourself, if you're not it will make you want to bash your head into a wall

Mill is a very good writer and reading him is enjoyable but I absolutely cannot stand utilitarianism. You'll definitely notice difference in argument strength between him, Kant and even Nietzsche.

It's for a class

Bump

Fear and Trembling by Soren Kierkegaard

>don't read so much fucking ethics
I'm not op but I'm just now realizing that ~90% of all philosophical work I've read is relating to ethics. why are you advising against reading so much of it?

Start with anti-oedipus

This isn't a thread for suggestions. This is the reading list from my PHL 101 class at uni.

It’s trash and tell your prof to teach anti-oedipus

No one gets to read John Stuart Mill's genius moments. I'm sure his book on Utilitarianism isn't bad, but you get the same sort of views from his looks on Economics in his Principles of Political Economy... he views productivity as being an inherent cycle which to spend any money unproductively takes out of the cycle any sort of rotating money used in circulation. Effectively rendering money less valuable.

It's probably one of the coolest things any economist has ever said and I love him for it still. And the book was published in 1848 ffs

Ohh well its going to be a jammed semester. And if you enjoy philosophy it's going to be a little dry, but really well written.

I'd rather it be a traditional, dry philosophy class than the academic laziness that passes as philosophy these days.

>the academic laziness that passes as philosophy these days
>coming from someone whose only experience with academic philosophy is reading the syllabus to a 101 course

"individuals seek happiness therefore groups of people should seek happiness for the group therefore individuals should seek happiness for the most people rather than for themselves"

JS Mill LITERALLY argued this