en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruddigore
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

depends

thanks for the constructive answer

>people you know personally that the character reminds you of
>symbolic names that represent their personalities

Why are you a writer answering this dumb question

*asking

I use the official pynchon naming method.

I generally just avoid names like joe, bob, phil, ed. stuff that you'd pick out of a hat because you can't be fucked to care about a character's name.

poorly

Thomas

what would their parents name them?

But naming them this way is good if they are absolutely devoid of unique personality traits and such. And there usually are some such characters in most novels - maybe not taking the blandness to the extremes, but showing quite some of it

Now that's a good answer

John, I name them all John, alright

Freudian slip. Why are YOU writer answering this dumb question?

Let OP figure out, go write, user.

I look at shit that lies around my table.
Than I put onius, ainous or ANOUS at the end to make it sound magical.

This is how I turned something like snickers bar into Snicker Baraenous into the protag of my SciFi novel.

this desu
what context are we working on here?

Mike Fallopian is my favorite of all his names.

I used to autistically scour through baby name websites for a huge variety AND the meanings and length, tone... I even had a rule that went that of the first and last name, one had to have at least one syllable more than the other.

Now I just make random noises with my mouth until I spit out a name that I don't hate.

Or, even better, I just give everybody nicknames. Twunk. Fork. Chief. Lolo. Who gives a shit. Transhumanism is now. By the way, I always thought it was trash-humanism, and that it advocated for the death of self-identity, like some kind of cyber-punk nihilism.

depends on the cultural, social and economic context

>mfw I just named a main antagonist UFO

For the women characters I simply think about my 'ex' and say "Perhaps I should name her 'Whore'?"

John
Jack
James
Josh
Jason
Justin
Joe
Jakob
Jordan
Or Chad
of course

J—-J—JEZEBELS!!

THE JEZEBELS, DAMN YOU OP, DAMN YOU! WRETCHED BEASTS, ALL AROUND ME

SCOUNDREL WHORES AND PATHETIC PRINCESSES, PROFESSIONAL CLOWNS AND JOBLESS LUNATICS (LOOKIN AT YOU OP). SAVE ME

With consistency, above all else.

I just come up with something that sounds good then hold onto it for a while, looking back at it to make sure it isn't one of those "cool" names that you only really like the first time you hear or read it, like Mergatroid. After that, I spend a short amount of time imagining how it would be growing up with said name (would the other kids make fun of Mergatroid for being named that? Yes, yes they would), then scrap it if any of that doesn't work out well.

Also Mergatroid was an actual name people had in the early 20th century. And you thought being named something asexual like Julien was bad

Adam and Eva

I mix and match first and last names from college athletes.

LOCAL MAN WINS LOTTERY

Jassel, Hugh

Of all the tickets, his was the lucky one.

Mr. Hunt has been playing the tickets for years. “Honestly I never thought I would win. But my father always said, you miss 100% of the shots you dont take.”

I tracked down Mr. Hunt in the Bahamas with his family, to ask him a few questions about his winnings.

“Of course I am thankful for all the beautiful people in my life. My two kids, my loving wife, and my late mother and still living father. Love you all.”

Mike, as he informs me he prefers to be called, is a successful local commercial real estate developer, father, husband, and avid golfer.

This has been the first lottery winning for our small city, and it went to Mike Hunt.

Hugh Jassel, Local 9 Fox

drink an entire bottle of dxm cough syrup, inhale about thirty nangs of nitrous oxide and then record myself making silly noises.

i have a lot of characters named things like Huh Bluh mu fugguh MUH

Murgatroyd.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruddigore

sounds expenisve

fuckin lol

Just make them based on terrible puns.

open up a phone book and dont give too doochy names to your main ones

Either some symbolic name or just join the names of two footballers