What kind of ending was that? You guys told me Dostoyevsky was optimistic and full of hope...

What kind of ending was that? You guys told me Dostoyevsky was optimistic and full of hope, but both Demons and The Idiot have endings in which everyone is miserable.

such is life in the kali yuga

His worst books, desu (No, really, everyone hated the idiot when it was published) especially demons, it's just political agenda to get in the good side of reactionaries. Even though he was right about the anarchists, it's still an incoherent book.

The character karmazinov (or whatever his name was. The failed writer) it's just a caricature of turgueniev

>You guys told me Dostoyevsky was optimistic and full of hope,
The people here say that because they tend to only read Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov

Read this when I was 15, I remember being annoyed by the guy with tuberculosis

>a book is bad if I don't agree with its political viewpoint
What a faggot

Buddhist cosmology is so fucking awesome

You mean the main character?

I too read it when I was 15. It's been FORTY FIVE YEARS

Read this when I was 15, I remember falling in love with the Yepanchin girls, especially Aglaya.

aren't you special!

Wouldn't Eva Green make the best Nastasya Filipovna in a film adaptation?

forget the greeks, start with the vedas

nah, the guy with tuberculosis was this edgy teen named Ippolit or some shit

Dostoyevsky is a reactionary piece of shit. Don't bother with him. Only right wingers pretend he's great.

Dorothy Day, for example, loved Dostoevsky.

He was the main character you dense fuck

Damn right I was.

Oh shit I remember that name but I have absolutely no recollection of what he did.

Admittedly it wasn't 45 years, more like 10.

No

I’m pretty sure he mostly lied in bed and talked about how shitty his life was.

Nah, the main character was Myshkin. He had epilepsy or some shit.

Yes. The Idiot was about Hippolyte. Don't be stupid

no she is western european

>they think muishkin and the surrounding narrative served any purpose other than framing Hippolyte's "Confessions"
Is everyone on this board retarded?

All I remember from the plot was the main character being a naive epileptic boy who grew up in Switzerland or something, and now you're talking about Hippolyte's confessions god damn

Read Crime and Punishment and the Brothers K. They more ultimately positive approaches that people here are thinking of.

You forgot the plot, grandpa

yes

YEAH WELL I liked Crime and Punishment better anyway.

I read the Brothers Karamazov earlier this year and followed it up with the Idiot. I was very disappointed in the latter, it could barley hold my attention and it felt like a chore to finish. Although I thought the ending of the Idiot was alright and probably the best part along with the first time he sees Rogozhin with the knife and has a seizure.

The Brothers Karamazov is by far the best thing by Dostoevsky I've read, Crime and Punishment is second place. I've also tried reading Demons but I'm having a hard time finishing that one for the same reason as the Idiot.

Aglaya was so fucking best girl. I'm mad Myshkin picked that other cunt over her, but oh well, themes and shit.
You should finish Demons, it really gets better after the first 200 pages or so.