Paradise Lost
Le Morte d'Arthur
Don Quixote
The works of Aristotle
The Summa Theologica
The Canterbury Tales
The Aeneid
The works of Cicero

This is, essentially, my arbitrary list of THE greatest works of literature. How would you rank them? What would you add? What would you take away?

(You)

>works of Plato
Dropped.

no..just..no

Where's Naruto

you're just a faggot falling for the aura of old shit, user. yes you listed good stuff, but shit like 19th, early 20th century french poetry, some russian and french novels, some nietzsche, some rilke deserve a spot

also kafka, mandelshtam and other stuff

forgetting something, OP?

>no russian and german
Kys

>calling someone a fag when you like kneechee, rilke and kafka

Plato was an illogical hack. People only like him because of nostalgia.

>Le Morte d'Arthur
Which one? I know nearly nothing about it but you placed it in gokd company

I'm laughing at you

>[citation needed]

Laughing at you as well

The 15th century work by Thomas Malory.

Dropped because he didn't list a specific work or works of Plato's, not because Plato is on his list.

The Republic:
if you harm an evil person, you are limiting his ability to follow his nature and thus make him less good. Explain how that makes any fucking sense at all and I'll give you a prize.

Plato isn't saying that you shouldn't punish wrongdoers. He is saying that retributive justic, if it really is to be just, demands the improvement or maintenance of a person's soul. Therefore, we must punish people in a way that improves them, not in a way that corrupts them.

Plato
Aristotle

What aboutSocrate, the founder of philosophy?

Socrates didn't write anything.

he wrote poetry

Get out.

Socrates is Plato's alter ego.
t. Plato's other alter ego

It's been quite a while since I read it, but iirc the premise of that chapter was that the hypothetical criminal was evil by nature. Even if he could be improved, what is the harm done by eliminating evil? That wasn't addressed at all; he does a terrible job of playing devil's advocate for himself.

Also, if you can please cite the passage which gives you that interpretation. I don't remember it from that section at all.

Great list. I'd take out Le Morte d'Arthur and add something like Das Nibelungenlied though. Or the Song of Roland.

Oh yes agreed. I hate the collected work cop out. Especially on the top 100 chart with Shakespeare, have some agency you fucks not all his work is outstanding

Goethe and Dostoevsky are on the tier right below this group.

Cantar del Mio Cid is way better than those shit tier chansons.

Now tell us how many of those you've read

Canterbury Tales

The Four Books and Five Classics
The Twenty-Four Histories
The Seven Military Classics
The Dao De Jing
Book of Zhuangzi
Xunzi
Mozi
The works of Wang Yangming
Liaozhai Zhiyi
Sanguo Yanyi
Shuihu Zhuan
Xi You Ji
Honglou Meng
Jin Ping Mei
Quan Tangshi
Genji Monogatari
Heike Monogatari
Ise Monogatari
Kojiki
The plays of Zeami
The Manyoshu
The Lotus Sutra
The poetry of Basho

This is, essentially, my arbitrary list of THE greatest works of literature. How would you rank them? What would you add? What would you take away?

>Cantar del Mio Cid Rodrigo Díaz De ViBORE
>better than the song of the GODDAMNED NIBELUNG
How can just one person contain all this contrarianism without exploding

Romance of the Three Kingdoms is better than both of those anyway.

I don't think that was the premise of the Book I. The discussion follows from Polemarchus' answers to Socrates' question "what is justice"? Polemarchus gives a few formulations while undergojng Socrates provocations, but the main gist of all them is: "Do good to friends and harm to enemies." Here is Socrates' response:
S: If you treat a horse badly, does it become better or worse?
P: Worse
S: Worse by the standard we use to judge dogs, or the standard we use to judge horses?
P: The standard we use to judge horses.
S:What about humans, my friend? Are we to say, in the same way, that if they are treated badly they become worse by the standard we use to judge human excellence?
P: Certainly
S: But isn't justice human excellence?
P: Again, it must be.
S: In which case, my friend, members of the human race who are treated badly necessarily become more unjust.
P: It looks like it.
S: Are musicians able, by means of music, to make people unmusical?
P: No, that's impossible.
S: And can the just make people unjust by means of justice? Or in general, can the good use human excellence to make people bad?
P: No, that's impossible. (Republic 335b-335d)

they're on absurdely different categories, moron

I like The Summoning of Everyman, tho it's not on the same level as the other works on your list. Maybe some more English Romantic poets and add The Fairy Queen by Spenser.

but it is.

Only for those who read the translations.

One is a HUGE historical novel and the other two are a very short and a medium-sized chanson de geste, you failed pseud

Maybe Sir Gawain and the Green Knight as well

Nibelungenlied is escapism-tier for neckbeards who play Skyrim and wear power metal shirts.
Cantar del Mio Cid is a great epic poem that shows the story of a christian hero that doesn't need stupid magic powers to achieve glory.

Also, germanic literature is inherently inferior to spanish literature.

The song of Mio Cid is a boring, dry telling of how one exiled spaniard mary sue and a handful of dudes killed 50 thousand moors because God helped him, end of story. It's also about how his cousin is clearly gay for him. It's shit.
>germanic literature is inherently inferior to spanish literature.
Oh I get it, I'm being trolled. Well, there go two minutes of my life I'll never get back.

>muh appeal to form

>hurr form doesn't matter
>literally discussing form
What or who are you arguing against, again?

>However, the most significant for the development of the Arthurian legend are Lancelot, the Knight of the Cart, which introduces Lancelot and his adulterous relationship with Arthur's queen (Guinevere), extending and popularising the recurring theme of Arthur as a cuckold

>The song of Mio Cid is boring
>God helped him
>his cousin is clearly gay for him
The absolute state of this godforsaken board.

Read it in medieval casteillan, preceded by a 150 page long study on it by the most respected eminence in Cidian studies and then we'll talk

t. b.

Do you really think that reading only 150 pages of Menéndez Pidal is enough to understand the Cid?
What a posseur, I guess you haven't read Martínez Diez essays about Carmen Campidoctoris and Gesta Roderici Campidocti (or even read those texts on original latin).

>no Infinite Jest
Are you fucking serious user?

I honestly would add the great gatsby. Almost every line is like a beautiful poem. ANd its theme of longing for something impossible feels universal

>The Bible
I guess if by, "great" you mean, "had a large impact on the world" that makes sense, but the Bible as a collection of stories is really not that interesting.

>making fun of the importance of reading the original oeuvre along with a dedicated study by one of the main names in the discipline, by ironically suggesting all of that is child's palay and that, if this argument were to escalate enough, design a time travel artifact to go back to Burgos in 1140 and try to pass off as actual casteillans in service to the Campeadór "en buena ora nasco" so that... so that

actually nevermind this argument, this sounds awesome please let's get this time machine working

I haven't read it. I will someday though.

The bible has hundreds of great, page long stories that keep you going. It's not a monolithic piece of sanctimonious shite as most people would believe. It does get tedious and repetitive right after the second half of the Exodus and before the Kigngs show up and frankly every book after the gospels get very preachy and philosophical in a way that's not even nearly as interesting as what the neoatistotelics would be doing 300 years later, but yes, the books' worth reading, as a proper book, as a collection of small-to-medium-long literary works.

I said shit-tier because I was a bit angry at the "hurr Three Kingdom Romance is liek the Cid but better" bumbling faggot. I'm deeply invested in spanish literature, from the time when most of Spain was a caliphate up to the golden century, so obviously I do like the poem of the Cid, as some call it. But when compared with literally any other medieval hero-centric adventure, it's less than a trial: It's a rough sketch of what a good chanson de geste could be.

Still, pretty essential.

sorry though you were linking someone else. Still.

>implying Job, Songs, Psalms, Ecclesiastes, Proverbs, and pretty much all of the New Testament aren't great reads

Are you retarded? Menendez Pidal has literally tens of thousands of pages about cidian studies. Claiming that reading a shitty 150-page synopsis is enough is just plain dumb.
Also make yourself a favor and read Carmen Campidoctoris for fuck sake, your posts reek of ignorance.

>Menendez Pidal has literally tens of thousands of pages about cidian studies.
Which he condensed for the edition that I own.
>your posts reek of ignorance
How much denial can one man contain before his head explodes?

How do you even condense 20 books in 150 pages?

Asian ones.

Did you pick a list of books, user? All those titles look the same to me.