Being a Literature teacher

Is it worth it?

No

No

No

No. Too much work to only do so little.

I mean bullshitting your students about nonexistent symbolism sounds fun. See how far you can take it without them getting suspicious.

No

no

Not now, no.

If you are genuinely interested in teaching people to be better writers, for whatever reason, then yes

I had a decent literature teacher in high school. She was a hot 30 y/o with nice tits, and she always praised my writing. She's probably the reason why I have a thing for older women now (also something about writing or some shit).

Absolutely not. You'll be talking about the same small collection of books every year for the rest of your life and every year stupid kids will ask the same stupid questions and come up with the same stupid ideas and it will grind you down.

yes

Yes. Who wouldnt want to be the private human tutor for Musk and Bezos' artificial offspring?

Currently a 9th grade English teacher in Maryland, which has (essentially) common core.

They're too fucking young. In public schools, they are used to people catering to them- try anything outside of their comfort range (over 200 pages in length, or poetry with archaic language) and they flip their tits.

School system doesn't care a lick about content, so you read drivel and expect students to learn "critical thinking" skills.

I throw in some short stories/poems that I like (from outside the curriculum, ofc), but again if its not spoon feed to them they lose interest immediately. You essentially have to tell them what it's about BEFORE they read it- and they get bored to death if you lecture them.

Glorified baby sitter... I'm hoping teaching higher levels (at least Juniors in an AP class) is better, but the people who hold those positions aren't giving them up anytime soon.

Ewwww 17 year old girls interested in literature staying for extra help? Wave after wave, year after year?

This.
If you really want a career in literature that's not at a university or some weird niche shit than I'd recommend a librarian. You can plan/sponsor events or clubs that allow you to further your interests and introduce others to literature.

shut your fucking mouth you wannabee statutory rapist and go back to whatever containment board lets people advocate for child molestation as an alternative to being able to get chicks your own age or taking responsibility for your own thoughts and urges like any minimally functional sentient being

Seconded.

Agreed.

>Virtue signalling on Veeky Forums

shut the fuck up, faggot

>wannabe

Guess again

>Doesn't find pretty 17 year old high school girls to be hot

Your loss, normalfag

why do these threads exist like dude are you going to put in years of your life to just teach at some dying community college to grade the essays a bunch of illiterate normies

you MIGHT be able to teach at an ivy league school or some other elite university but good luck if you're anywhere right of marx in any sort of belief

>implying virtues are irrelevant in any community and therefor doesn't seem to know what a society is
>thinks virtues are emulated for social gratification and not for the end they strive for and therefor doesn't know what higher brain function is

Well I can clearly see I'm talking to a genus here. Probably Homo but not necessarily sapien.

How about asking yourself another question: is life worth it?

There is zero chance anyone will personally connect to anything you share in such an impersonal setting. Anyway, have you tried just asking for an original thought on the reading? Your students are probably just trying to check off the assignments from their to-do list like good little junior office drones.

Fuck these retarded faggots who've never worked a day in their life. I sell cars. Anything is better than this shit. Go for it, OP. Sounds comfy as fuck.

shut the fuck up, faggot

Seconded.

Agreed.

English/French teacher candidate here. Do you feel like you are making a difference in any one’s lives or catching any one’s interest? I know it’s a sort of naive way of looking at the profession, but that’s what’s excites me about teaching. I’ve heard some teachers say it’s worth it for the one or two student stuff a year whom you really connect with. What’s been your experience with this?

I teach a couple of undergrad courses. Uni students are no better than high schoolers sadly. Quitting at the end of the academic year.

To do what?

I'm considering dropping out of my current course because while it's sort of interesting, it's probably about as useful as a lit degree (not very) which I feel I'd enjoy more. Unfortunately my perception of them is probably distorted and would be much of a let down.

pretty sure

What country are you from? Would the same things apply to a third world country like mine?

Yas, tfw quit high paying job to pursue teaching career.

Only if you don't care about being:
>paid well
>respected
>overworked
>drowned in paperwork
and you have a research area you're passionate about.

>you MIGHT be able to teach at an ivy league school or some other elite university but good luck if you're anywhere right of marx in any sort of belief
t. Never heard of UChicago, Duke, or any of the other famously conservative universities.

Hello Bruno

>Literature teacher
Literature is to be read, never taught. In fact, nothing has done more to ruin literature than the teaching of it.

>famously conservative

Do you mean fiscal conservatism? Because I mean social conservatism. You could in theory teach at a Christian university, but I'm assuming you'd be teaching more about Christian texts rather than a broad group of different types of literature

Roasties pls go

Here's what I would do personally. I would simply teach English and literature on the internet because why not. I'd do it just as a hobby. It would be flexible, free for the public, you would reach a larger audience, and you would probably fulfill your desires for teaching. The pay as a teacher is shit and not worth the training and the work from what I hear, and I don't think universities are in the long run going to survive much longer (at least humanities and liberal arts) considering you can learn just about anything on the internet with enough dedication. Hipsters and liberals are a large market but I think their days are numbered once a more stagnant economy combined with increasing college costs arrive at their doorstep, and let's face it, that's about the only people who are interested in university literature classes. I'd question if they are truly interested in literature or if they just really like the "feel" of the environment as well.

If you wanna teach highschool English, well, good luck I guess. I wouldn't want to teach high school anything personally. these are just my opinions though

FUCK THE LOLITAS
SOURCE
NABOKOV

>I don't think universities are in the long run going to survive much longer

This but the opposite

There's plenty of social conservatives at the fiscally conservative schools. There's even social conservatives at liberal schools; you just have to find them.

>"marx"
>socially conservative
Have you even read any Marx? Class is about the only thing he wanted to overthrow, was a pretty racist and sexist fella himself.

To continue lying about my life on Veeky Forums

I have read Marx, but there's more to Marxism than just class at this point. My point is that right-wing people are generally met with hostility in those environments, which is true

Duke may be better than a lot of schools in it's tier, but it is NOT conservative.
t. Duke student