Author uses latin, and french phrases throughout the book

>author uses latin, and french phrases throughout the book

don't worry OP, it surely means the author is pretentious and not that you're ignorant

hopefully your ego isn't so delicate that this little barb stings. we're all born knowing absolutely nothing.

Why do they do it

> he doesn't know Latin and French
Why read at all, you barbarian?

tell us more about how fluent you are in a dead language

>dead language
>y authors use it still?
Pick one.

Lolita?

>author need to worry about reader that doesnt know how to use google trans late.

Very fluent. I actually teach it.

>learned french in highschool believing it would open me up to new cultural ideas
>quickly learned that french culture and philosophy suck ass and now wish I learned Latin or Russian
Fuck

Neetzsche did it so it's cool.

You speak it?

Of course.

Because phrases like "Mutatis mutandis" are extremely fucking useful. And when you're writing for a literate/academic audience you can count on people understanding you on the other side. And because the author's job isn't to coddle a reader like a child with low self esteem.

Its not the authors job to do a self masturbatory wankfest and include other languages just because they happen to speak them.

Is there a joke behind replying to a comment in another thread? I don't see it.

Not him. But authors don't 'include other languages just because they can speak them'.

When there exists a good phrase in another language, it's perfectly acceptable, at least in English, to steal that phrase. And especially when that language happens to have been the language of science, literature, and learning for over two millennia.

Because the book takes place in France

>OP doesn't how, to use commas

it comes naturally. since they've read Latin (e.g. anyone worth their salt) or spoken in French (e.g. Tolstoy), then it's natural for them to drop it when it comes. I once dropped seneca's "Disce gaudere" in a final exam before because it was related to Shakespeare.

>Pleb tries to read Eco

>user doesn't know the oxford comma

Fuck Joyce.