What kind of movies do certain writers like?

What kind of movies do certain writers like?

DFW liked Lynch movies.

aww happy PKD :)

>the impact of blade runner is simply going to be overwhelming

heh it bombed on box office, cool that he liked it though

You could easily argue that its influence preserves PKD's usual prescience with that statement.

so what
Blade Runner has been much more influential than the successful movies of that year like ET, Tootsie and Rocky 3
Dick may have been getting a little ahead of himself but cyberpunk absolutely dominated sci-fi until the late 80s/early 90s with the resurgence of space opera in no small part due to Blade Runner

Yet its impact was overwhelming.

Iirc Bertolt Brecht liked Chaplin.

in what way? cyberpunk is a stale overdone genre that was perfected with blade runner. every piece of cyberpunk that followed was unnecessary indulgence that copied without any form of iteration or innovation.

you do realize this is Veeky Forums not /tv/? the first proper cyberpunk novel, William Gibson's Neuromancer, wasn't released until 2 years after Blade Runner m8

it wasn't cemented as a genre until blade runner

literary cyberpunk wasn't cemented until Neuromancer

I think he is testifying to Blade Runner's influence in the post you quote.

yes, that's exactly what I'm doing
and Gibson himself has admitted he was hugely influenced by Blade Runner to the point where he was almost demoralized after seeing the movie because he felt like the book, which was still in the very early stages of writing, would be seen as pretty much a ripoff of the movie

If he was going to write a novel that he had planned and started before Blade Runner that he thought people would have called him derivative only shows that other people had ideas like Blade Runner before the movie. The impact of the movie on the book could then have been him changing it to be less like what he originally planned. In this sense Blade Runner is influential but not for the reasons you are using.

Dude shut the fuck up. Pick your battles.

of course that's a fair point to some extent
cyberpunk can be seen as almost inevitable just given the zeitgeist of the early to mid 80s but nothing happens in a vacuum and at some point it becomes difficult to separate the chicken from the egg
many of the ideas that would shape cyberpunk weren't unprecedented in blade runner or neuromancer but ultimately those are the works that influenced everything that came after them

He said he walked out of it part way through for the reasons you state, but I'm not sure I believe him.

I don't know anything about cyberpunk and I am only going by the logic in what you have said. Wouldn't it be closer to the independent discovery of evolution or calculus or something like that? Two people independently are creating two similar things but one beats the other to the punch.

nobody invented cyberpunk, gibson's work was just noir with technobabble and pkd was building on the foundations laid by descartes.

>things don't exist if they have an origin
So this is the power of lit.

Interesting. What would PKD have thought about 2049 though?

cheeto dust