Why did he do it bros? ;_;

Why did he do it bros? ;_;

Read Good Old Neon, it's all there.

who cares if we still have this guy?

He got tired of being forced to ghost write lesser works to be published under the "Pynchon" name. Bloom likely deduced this as well when he savaged Vineland as a shitty work.

I was disappointed after reading The Pale King it gave extremely little clue into this side of him. I read Good Old Neon too but it too didn't tell me what it was he found so unendurable about life. It described his self loathing sure but in such an analytic and bored way that it didn't seem convincing to me to be the seed of violence.

I have a history of depression myself so its not a matter of lack of ability to empathise it just seems to me that his work lacked such a daunting side of him. Perhaps that fact alone says more than anything else we have available.

Not enough audience pussy

He was empty inside, not sad.

Failure to raise a family. He wanted to be a father and failed.

He didn't die. He ascended

I read he thought he had failed as a writer and never would live up to infinite jest again. He had severe depression and went off his meds he's been taking for like 20 years. Was okay for a bit but then got super depressed again. I guess he was tired of the never ending rollercoaster and how painful the lows were. Who knows bros.

Why did Robin Williams do it? Why did Kirk Cobain do it? We don't know what it was like to be them.

We all are bud

He was a living example of
>maybe I'm so cool I just wanna die

I'm fearful of how awful things have to get for myself if I actually want to be able to empathize with people who kill themselves from depression

love that memory

His entire oeuvre was basically a suicide note. Especially Pale King

Pharmaceutical drugs.

Why did he write Infinite Jest you mean?
I surely dont know, but this board would be much better if he hadnt

doesn anyone have the copypaste where the only sincere thing dfw has ever done is take his own life?

>Kirk Cobain

What if he already was dead, sent his agent a bunch of manuscripts and had them publish them at set intervals to make everyone think he's still alive?

>one of the best writers in the world
>still feel empty inside
What is left for me work slave?

Bloom wouldn't let him into the canon.

I never realized this before, but he seems to be a little bulky in his upper body, as if he worked out. I never really noticed the muscle.

He was a tennis player when he was young and people thought he could make professional. Then he got fat

Gaining recognition doesn't satisfy you. You just strive after something else after the fact. Not that that is anything new.

Not [spoilers]Catholics[/spoiler].

>best writers
Newfag alert.

Gaining recognition for your hard work is satisfying. Wallace plagiarized and wrote about people he knew (some sued, some just thought it was sad). You really should read more. Not that that is anything new.

axaxaxaxaxaxaxaxaxaxa

What is the end goal of writing then? Gaining recognition and that state where you've gained confidence in being capable as a writer? At least it is for me from what I can gather.

>and wrote about people he knew
why is this wrong>?

His aesthetic sense was so cultivated that he knew that an early suicide with a forthcoming disquieting book about overcoming the nightmare of modern ennui would be the perfect adornment to his tragic life.

b8 don't respond

Not really. But that you think it's bait is telling in regards to my situation.

Because people are narcissists and think they own every memory you have of them

you're a sad person who is wasting his time reading then.

Johnny Franzen.

Yeah. I know.

I wasn't talking about recognition really. I was referring to his ability to appreciate and create art.

My bad then.

He was on big pharma medication--fucked with his brain chemistry.

He was also generally an unpleasant person to be around.

trust me, you dont want to feel that.

>He was on big pharma medication--fucked with his brain chemistry.

I love how idiots believe brain chemistry matters while simultaneously denying medicines ability to aid it

He realized how gay he looked with that bandana on

He didn't deny its ability to aid though?

I love how idiots are only able to win "arguments" when they use strawmen fallacies.

He was clearly placing the blame on neuro-medicine by implying it messed up his brain chemistry while the medicine is designed to fix brain chemistry to begin with.
I'm a critic of anti-depressents myself but I find the attitude of assuming the fault on them is absurd

>Wallace plagiarized
Who?

David

he was murdered by the irs when they found out the subject matter of the pale king

No one thought he could be professional. He was exaggerating. He wasn't really that good at all.

>doesn’t understand how anti-psychotics or anti-depressants work or how they permanently deform neuroreceptors and whole cortical tracts in the brain
>doesn’t understand that their efficacy is equal to talk therapy and both are proven to be as useful as placebos
>doesn’t understand that they are shutting down whole parts of the brain which is why people on them “feel” like their symptoms have abated because that part of their mind is dead now
>doesn’t know that all these drugs trace back to thorazine which is a military intel psy op drug that was flooded onto the market to anesthetize middle class housewives who were losing their minds
>trusts people who aren’t neuroscientists or chemists to tell you the truth
>trusts people who create illness with diagnoses
>you’re 2-4x more likely to be mentally ill if you ever sit down with a psychiatrist
>at least 25% of users of anti-psychotics and anti-depressants experience severe permanent side effects and want to get off their dose
wow really compelling stuff, these people are like really smart and went to med school or whatever lol. time to take my: quetapine, trazodone, risperdal triple dose so i can go work 60 hours at subway. have fun today user!

Gately is a real person. All the anecdotes in Endless Fun are based on a real guy. So are most of the halfway house people. It's "wrong" in the sense that it's illegal... You know that thing at the start of the book where it says none of it is real? Wallace was sued before for writing about a girl he knew without asking... And when the publisher asked, since it was fishy, when they first got it, he lied about it—so idk, seems like he's a fake piece of shit. He had magazine cutouts of celebrities posted all over his study...

Making something aesthetic, something beautiful... As opposed to fame and the phony writer bullshit.

Lol he had zero aesthetic sense.

Pynchon in Broom, DeLillo in IJ, live television in one of his short stories, real life people in IJ, real people in short stories.

Your research is cherry picked and loaded. You do realize they're still prescribed in nations that run publicly funded health care systems, why do you suppose they use them if its nothing but a corporate conspiracy

>doesn’t know that all these drugs trace back to thorazine which is a military intel psy op drug that was flooded onto the market to anesthetize middle class housewives who were losing their minds

Lmao, what

no its not
pretending not to understand won’t change where all the happy pills come from or who cooked them up before thorazine was flooded onto the market

Who is this girl? I've seen pictures of her on here before.

>one of the best writers in the world

Name a better one. Inb4 you spaz out

>like that changes their effect

Lumping together anti-depressents and anti-psychotics is ridiculous and disingenous. They're dealing with two extremely levels of complexity and danger in the issues they deal with. One aims towards simply the production of a single chemical, usually serotonin and the other as you said the activity of an entire sectors of the brain which is of course far more complex and prone to side effects.

Sticking to just anti-depressents, as I don't believe DFW was on anti-psychotics. Can you address why their use continues by doctors in entire nations where there is no profit motivation

Not him, but publicly funded health care systems usually have very scant resources to devote to mental health, even in rich Western countries. Pills are one of the only tools they have, and the placebo effect is often powerful enough to give the patient some relief.

t. mentally ill Canadian

Then wouldn't it be cheaper for places like Canada to prescribe thinly disguised placebos? You know ones that don't have expensive copyrights and side effects

Again I'm quite critical of anti-depressents, although moreso for philosophic reasons, but its clear that the conclusion is preceding the argument in this guys case.

foolish way of thinking

Kill yourself.

If you are a writer you must be jealous of his writing abilities. If you are not, your opinion does not matter. Why should a person not be allowed to write absolutely everything about another persons life as long as they change the name of the character?

>You do realize they're still prescribed in nations that run publicly funded health care systems
>publicly funded means the money isn't real and wanted by the companies that make the drugs.
>thinks it is anything but the people paying taxes, the politicians taking taxes, and giving to the pill corporations...

what could your statement have possibly been implying for your stance

Because why would all the doctors and experts working in the civil service in every Western nation on Earth green light.
You do realize the FDA and their equivalents aren't run by Johnny Congressmen

you didnt say anything.

You said: Corporations/pschiatrists/politicians can be trusted and they dont just want profits, because some nations dont sell pills from company to customer: but the healthcare is public: so it goes: customer pays tax: customer needs pills: taxes go to corporation.

What were you trying to say?

Did you just start reading? I'm praying for the sake of this board this is bait

why bother reading someone who couldn't even live with himself. the only sincere moment in the life of David Foster wallace was when he kicked away the chair. the rest of his life was a lie, the new sincerity was a joke whose punchline was the creaking of a leather belt around the rafter.his literary career was a menagerie of self help lies told to keep his depression at bay. the audience pussy and drugs were the ghosts at that feast of hypocrisy. the depression was warranted because behind all the gimmicks and the self awareness and the bandannas was no discernible talent.

top 10 pasta

> It's "wrong" in the sense that it's illegal... You know that thing at the start of the book where it says none of it is real?

All characters in this work are fictional, any resemblence to real life persons is coincidental

What did he plagiarized?

Ketik Novoselova
some random russian I guess

I think you know which who you need to start

Thats the definition of depression

"Tragic life"

W-what about lamotrigine?
I hate risperidal, they give it to me because of lack of sleep but I feel seriously dumb'd down when I take it, olanzapine was even worse. Never trusted that crap once I saw they are "anti-psychotic". Why can't they give me some normal sleeping pills? Fucking faggots I hate them. Wellbutrin sucks too. Talk therapy sucks too. EVERYTHING SUCKS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

>Can you address why their use continues by doctors in entire nations where there is no profit motivation

Hint: the same reason that antibiotics are massively overprescribed for simple viral infections where they are of absolutely no benefit.

Bump

And that reason is..?