Don Quixote

Is fucking hilarious, holy shit.

Half of the book is about cuckold shepherds

That sounds lame. I'm only on the second chapter but this is not what I expected at all. I've already laughed audibly like three or four times.

Best part is when he tries to save the whores at the inn and says "I must defend your maiden's honor!" And they bust out laughing and are like "Sweetie, we haven't been maidens in a long time."

My father always called it the most boring thing he read.
I guess Santa wasn't the only thing he was lying about.

Wait until you get to the Moorish slave story. Could have been a novel in itself.

Read the prologue and the first chapter, you'll be hooked.

The second part is better. The corny stories on first part really pissed me.

t's hilarious all the way through user, don't worry.

idiot

Look at yourself and take a moment to reflect, user.

I really enjoyed it as well. I feel like there are some modern themes in it, like the idea that too much of a certain kind of entertainment causes madness. Today it's violent video games and in Don Quixote it's chivalry books.

My favorite part was when he made the mystical healing potion that made him vomit all over the place and pass the fuck out

All the parts in the "Enchanted Castle" are incredibly entertaining.

>you need to pay for two beds and destroying my fucking inn
>but knights don't pay to stay in castles!
>this is not a castle and you are not a knight goddammit
>moment of consideration
>"You are a fool and a bad innkeeper," and then he just rides away
I cannot justify why I find this so fucking funny but even thinking about that line makes me laugh

That ending though

>His only fault is that he is an arab, and is thus predisposed to lie

Am i only one to find it profoundly sad and not find the 'funny parts' (like literally puking on sancho, who pukes right back) very funny?
I just feel bad for the guy and the pain he causes everywhere he goes. It's like watching r9k but even more painfull (and with way more literary merit).

Truly a cruel and crude old book. (And a masterpiece)

>I don't like slapstick.
As a suggestion: never watch old black and white comedies. The Marx Brothers, for example.

You won't understand half the humour if you aren't spanish

lol cut off your nose and fingers you ugly bore

elaborate please. I've only ever read a German translation I found in the attic, but it was some stupid "shortened for a more streamlined reading experience" kind of version.

Most of the names, titles, surnames, towns, etc. are puns in spanish. "Caraculiambro" translates roughly to "faceass."

Yeah the ending was shit.

I found it to be both sad and funny. I could laugh but the underlying tragedy of Don and what he represents was always there.

I think that's the point, you can't help but both laugh at and pity him