What's the best translation of Moby Dick?

What's the best translation of Moby Dick?

Are you pretending to be retarded?

Car me Ishmare

This is some high level irony.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Did it ever occur to you he's not a native English speaker? But then again why is he posting in English?

>not a native english speaker
>posting in english
im both of these

The only post on lit i have unironically laughed at

nice

same

Is it true that I can read the last 3 chapters of Moby Dick without having read the rest of the book and still understand the jist of it?

I do that with every book

>he hasn't completely absorbed the plot and themes of Moby Dick through cultural osmosis
Step your game up nigga

Yeah, the first fifty chapters are all about minor details of the 19th century whaling industry
Read the last three and you're good.

Fagles

>It's a fine gay romance between your self-insert and a gentle cannibalistic Javan harpooneer, Mr. Pope, but it isn't Dick.

Get a load of this retard. It’s definitely Lattimore

Emoji Dick

What are some other books written in this biblical and sweeping prose style? Other than McCarthy

Any other books (prefer old ones) like Moby dick?

Moby Dick was a century ahead of its time. If there's anything similar to it from before the 20th century I'd love to hear about it.

I'd watch a Moby Dick anime. Japan's still big on whaling so I'm surprised they haven't done it yet.

Kek they actually have

What do Asians think of Moby Dick? That's pretty interesting actually it has so much allusion to Western canon

Oh shit, they have any good subs or am I stuck with Horrible?

Mishima loved Moby Dick

kek

I'm surprised no one's started "translating" older english language books to modern vernacular

Is it a Xi or Xir or Xem/There?

>is it a Xi
are you calling me chinese?

They have. iirc there's ones for Paradise Lost and a lot of Shakespeare.
Then for the Greeks you have Fagles for easier reading.

This one is my favourite

* 僕の名前は石丸。

This book has to be at least 1100 pages long.

Then he would ask specifically for translations into his native language.

Beowulf