Used Books

For what purpose does someone do this? Literally every page is like this.

>implying Aschenbach's obsession with Tadzio was sexual in nature
fucking dropped

I once came across a book where literally every word on every page was underlined. The only reason I can think of is that they were doing that to keep track of where they are instead of using a bookmark or dogears, but that still doesnt make sense to me.

>a bourgeois in nihilistic drag

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of Nietzsche's formulation of nihilism. People don't done nihilism like garb, nihilism provides the backdrop over which we all move.

Looks like somebody closed his mind before he wrote that book ;) (got him)

What do you think, fuckhead? For goddamn school.
I'm gettin' real fuckin' tired of this shit.

over socialized, listened to teachers in school too much, midwit

its that simple, also hilarious lack of faith in working memory that characterizes western bug consciousness

Listen here buddy. I didn't log on today to be bullied by some frigging school nerd

My copy of Ficciones is like this.

>this guy went to fucking school
lmao

log off

post your copies of finnegans wake

I have a used copy of The Recognitions where there are several words crossed out and replaced by what the former owner thought would fit better on almost every page from start to finish and most of his choices are absolutely retarded, some of them even have a different meaning

When I first started reading books in English, my dad made me underline words I didn't know and look it up in a dictionary

which turned out to be a lot my first few years

Nietzsche readers are the worst at highlighting

I do this with almost anything i'm trying to pay super close attention to while reading. It helps identify where the important parts of the passage are and I can write down notes for future papers. I would never do this in a novel or something outside of school work.

omg that looks like my copy of beyond good and evil except mine would also say 'LOL' next to it

If you're going to do this why not just by ua journal and do a page by page list of notes by line number?

it's probably done by some little girl or something

cute desu

>actually burned?
How do you get to book 17 of the Odyssey before you begin to wonder how burnt offerings work?

I only mark footnotes when it is an extremely embarrassing mathematical error in On Conics. And there are many in Taliaferro's translation.

Also I do sometimes write in the last page of the book if it's blank, a short summary of the book itself after I'm finished.

My library has a copy of a Tolstoy book.
where on every page someone has "corrected" the grammar.

Here's an error in the actual equation. That part you see circled should actually be on the right.

It actually interferes with understanding the material quite a bit. I've thought about actually mailing them my book after I've finished correcting everything and then charging them an editing fee

Retard.

He's talking about Mann.

>no there isn't

I just take pictures of parts I like, although they're often rotated and no good for posting

>how am i supposed to remember this stuff

someone didn't read the iliad

same

>no there isn't

>she be cry
kek. what te fuck did he mean by this? I'm not American but I can't imagine a black person saying this. It'd be she be cryin' or something, wouldn't it

It looks to me like pidgin, which is basically a form of "English" spoken by literal niggers from nigger Africa.

hahaha

pidgin just refers to any kind of simplified version of a language, not necessarily English and not necessarily spoken by "literal niggers from nigger Africa" though that is certainly one example.

I recently took out Coming Up for Air, the George Orwell novel, from my local library and someone underlined every instance of the word bum. What really puzzles me is bum only pops up two or three times. Did the underliner think that was comedy gold that needed to be emphasized?

I borrowed a book from uni and someone had gone through and "censored" many of the adjectives with a black marker. They'd literally just crossed out around half the adjectives.

I'm guessing they wanted to see the effect of adjectives on the book or something but Jesus Christ its a library book

I borrowed the adventures of Sherlock Holmes and someone had circled the sentences where Sherlock "ejaculates" (ejaculates in the sense he exclaims out loud)

I thought it was pretty funny too desu