Trying to read a "classic" novel

>trying to read a "classic" novel
>give up halfway because shit is unbearably stupid and boring
>end up binge-reading 10 sci-fi books
Is there an actual way to enjoy the dull tedium that is Western Canon?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/b/bennett/arnold/literary-taste/complete.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah, you have to be developmentally normative better luck next time coitus boi

Is possible to lift 100lb without being able to lift first 50lb?

>>trying to read a "thread" by (OP)

How the fuck can you read that /sffg/ shit. I tried reading elric of melnibonè and at the end of book 3 I almost fell asleep.

I only read vance, wolfe and a bit of CAS

If you find it 'dull tedium' (you only needed one of these words by the way, each renders the other superfluous) then you aren't ready yet.

How do I become prepared then

I'm reading Faust right now and it's very comfy

watch Bresson and then expect something like that from a book

What classic novel were you reading?

Moby dick.
I always fucking see people saying how "succinct" Melville is and how he puts so much meaning into such small and unwieldy language.

This is probably the most long winded shit I've read since dickens.

i'm like that but reversed. i've tried reading sci-fi again because that's what i used to read as a kid but i just can't. i find myself thinking about other things by page three and a week after finishing the book i have no idea what it was about. i stopped even trying to read these things now but i have books on my shelf by greg egan and charles stross and all of these singularity idiots that i know i've physically moved my eyeballs across but fuck knows what happens in them. the ais took over and blah blah blah.

meanwhile i've randomly started reading the oresteia and it's boss. the fucking critical introduction to it was more entertaining to read than what if robots made robots that made robots that zzzzzzzzzzz

Both of you are pretty much me, minus your last parts
Basically, I think I just fucking hate reading

Schopie said it best:
>The difference in degree of mental power which sets so wide a gulf between the genius and the ordinary mortal rests, it is true, upon nothing else than a more or less perfect development of the cerebral system. But it is this very difference which is so important, because the whole of the real world in which we live and move possesses an existence only in relation to this cerebral system. Accordingly, the difference between a genius and an ordinary man is a total diversity of world and existence. The difference between man and the lower animals may be similarly explained.

Based Schopes. Was he ever wrong about anything? Someone make a Chad Schopenhauer vs Virgin Hegel edit.

Grow up. But if you enjoy sci-fi I'm afraid there's little hope for you.

>Western Canon
>Western Canon
>Western Canon
>Western Canon
>Western Canon

Why don't you fucking read what you enjoy holy fucked shit and Virgin Mary trade-raped by Judah motherfucker?

>Why don't you fucking read what you enjoy
He did, 10 of them in fact. But they're not considered patrician enough

don't bother

plebs should read pleb literature

>trying to read a "sci-fi" book
>end up binge-reading 10 classic novels
Is there an actual way to enjoy the dull tedium that is Genre Fiction?

My value assignments are literally the inversion of yours. Maybe you should read Don Quixote. I think it's zany enough that it won't simply bore you, and it can accustom you to a style of writing that doesn't suck.

>why don't you just watch the tv shows you enjoy
>why don't you just take the drugs you enjoy
>why don't you just pick the heroin needle you enjoy
>why don't you just fuck a prostitute you enjoy
>why don't you just pick a nice STD to ruin your life with
>why don't you just not wear a condom because it's enjoyable and get the prostitute pregnant and fuck your life up

WHY DON'T WE ALL JUST DO THINGS WE ENJOY WOULDNT LIFE BE GREAT

JUST DO THE THINGS YOU ENJOY JUST ENJOY THINGS YOU KNOW??? JUST ENJOY ALL DAY JUST DO THINGS WE ENJOY

PLEASE JUST PLAY THE VIDEO GAMES YOU ENJOY DONT PAY ATTENTION TO ANYTHING ELSE JUST WASTE YOUR LIFE AWAY THAT WAY TOO

JUST PICK A WAY TO ENJOY THINGS AND WASTE YOUR LIFE

How about you actually live a life worth living

They're fucking books, not crack

Some people need to be "trained" to like it. Basically if you force yourself to read enough you'll come to enjoy what you're reading.

Wow good bait OP.

Read the first two chapters faggot

ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/b/bennett/arnold/literary-taste/complete.html

"And even your case, though you are genuinely preoccupied with thoughts of literature, bears certain disturbing resemblances to the drab case of the average person. You do not approach the classics with gusto — anyhow, not with the same gusto as you would approach a new novel by a modern author who had taken your fancy. You never murmured to yourself, when reading Gibbon’s Decline and Fall in bed: “Well, I really must read one more chapter before I go to sleep!” Speaking generally, the classics do not afford you a pleasure commensurate with their renown. You peruse them with a sense of duty, a sense of doing the right thing, a sense of “improving yourself,” rather than with a sense of gladness. You do not smack your lips; you say: “That is good for me.” You make little plans for reading, and then you invent excuses for breaking the plans. Something new, something which is not a classic, will surely draw you away from a classic. It is all very well for you to pretend to agree with the verdict of the elect that Clarissa Harlowe is one of the greatest novels in the world — a new Kipling, or even a new number of a magazine, will cause you to neglect Clarissa Harlowe, just as though Kipling, etc., could not be kept for a few days without turning sour! So that you have to ordain rules for yourself, as: “I will not read anything else until I have read Richardson, or Gibbon, for an hour each day.” Thus proving that you regard a classic as a pill, the swallowing of which merits jam! And the more modern a classic is, the more it resembles the stuff of the year and the less it resembles the classics of the centuries, the more easy and enticing do you find that classic. Hence you are glad that George Eliot, the Brontës, Thackeray, are considered as classics, because you really do enjoy them. Your sentiments concerning them approach your sentiments concerning a “rattling good story” in a magazine."

Dumb autist

Just read it slowly then. No rush. You'll either read the book or you won't.

Are you citing Trainspotting

honeslty you should have boiled this down to "how would you know what you enjoy if you don't try new things"

The word 'enjoy' is problematic but there's really no point in forcing yourself to do anything you aren't getting something out of. I know that's not going to go down well here but it's true.

>How about you actually live a life worth living

Agreed but that shouldn't and will never be defined by anybody on this monogolian cryptocurrency speculating forum.

If you can't appreciate how beautiful moby dick is, you really are a lost cause.

The point you fucking retards, is sometimes reading books isn't that enjoyable. But you do it because you need to have an understanding in something.

>But you do it because you need to have an understanding in something.

I meant to imply that. Not knowing why you're reading the book (the need) and not enjoying it are going to kill all enthusiasm for it.

So what's the answer