Convince me this is good

I know it's a classic etc
But the story per se doesn't sound very attractive to me. Maybe because it's a comedy and I'm more used to reading dramas.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate if some of you would convince me to read it, since I got it for Christmas.

it's a revolt against reality

It's considered by many (myself included) to be the best book of all time. Read the first couple of chapters, and you will see how funny it is. This is possibly the least dry "classic" you can read.

OP do you like fun?

You could try reading it. At least the Penguin edition I read had nice little chunks you could read in like five minutes. I wouldnt start from the prologue tho bc you're just sampling.

Inb4 Penguin Edition father forgive me for i have sinned

Putnam, Grossman, Shelton or Ormsby?

>muh serious fiction
>im an adult
>pls respect me

I'm reading the original.

Is it really funny or funny like "hahahaha I'm supposed to be laughing at this"

I do yes

Smollett REPRESENT

Actually funny

Not the same guy but it's really funny, even goes as far of being a straight up slap stick comedy at some point. But I have to say I've only read about 200 pages myself and was struggeling with it so had to put it on a hold. The thing is I get it to some point, the comedy, meanwhile reflecting back at myself and comparing myself with Don Quijote. It's just that so far the book feels a bit redundant, like its hitting you over and over on the head with message and I get it. Don't worry, I get it.

Some parts the book reminds you and is very beautiful, so much it hurts. Tragic.
(I'll get back to it soon though!)

So many fucking stories of random people they encounter.

I HOPE YOU KNOW YOU ARE NOT BETTER THAN A GENRE FAG

which translation is best?

Apparently the new one by Edith Grossman is great. I really like Starkie's, though.

Oh, odd: I thought Grossman's was more recent than it is.

And these stories could be a modern mexican soap opera. I think that Cervantes created Don Quijote as an excuse to put all his corny and shitty stories together and in the process he accidentally built a classic.

It's literally the world's oldest Buddy Comedy