Write drunk, edit sober

Write drunk, edit sober.

Is there any truth to this adage? I've been practicing it for a few years now while practicing law, and it's been working out for me. I'd like to hear some other perspectives.

>Get drunk
>Rush of emotions, the words fly out
>Read the next day, cringe at the pretentiousness of it all

Why not? The art's in the constructing and cleaning up anyway. If alcohol enables (you) to express what Jungians call 'prima materia' then that gives (you) something to play with- clay to mold.
>if it ain't broke etc.

>Anonymous 01/06/18(Sat)21:03:49 No.10502048▶
This is going to sound equally pretentious because I'm very much not sober, but are not the drunken words the most true and honest?

Is honesty pretentious?

imagine if any human was honest ever??

>I know nothing
or
>incoherent screams because reality is so strange

>Update
Or, both.

I know nothing. Reality is also very strange.

I often ponder suicide.

Pop always said 'a drunken man's words are a sober man's thoughts' -and- 'if you can't afford tip, you can't afford to go out' -and- etc.

Golden gems of wisdom, as mine calls them.

I like your dad. And I like (you) for not correcting him. Some things, though perhaps mistaken, should be left as they are. That said, I'm all for the flawed marriage of alcohol and lit. Think I'll light a candle.

nah, write drunk edit drunk

Any seasoned drinker will tell you drunk and sober versions of themselves have completely different thoughts and personalities. You think people know their thoughts better when their brain is addled with drugs? It's got absolutely nothing to do with honesty.

write sober - faster, better, more well thought out
edit sober - much easier as what you wrote was better to begin with

sounds like you have a problem with anxiety or confidence. go see a therapist or practice CBT on yourself instead of drink. drinking is an awful way to medicate, no matter how romantic and magical you think it is you are just shrinking your brain.

This.

I'm a lying and spiteful piece of garbage when I drink.

I do the exact opposite.

No. Go learn to write by reading Kafka, Barthelme, and Kraznahorkai. The real artist has no time for dilluting his art or attempting to alleviate the necessary suffering of work. Slave over your work. Give yourself to it. Become a wagecuck as a means to an ends, and when that means gets in the way, do what you have to do. But there's no getting around it.

Pop's an idiot. You're not more "you" under the influence of drugs. You're under the influence of drugs.

>it's been working out for me
elaborate

You are if they lower your executive functioning like alcohol does friendo. Go drink your monster with your little middle school buddies and hop on a swingset or whatever you kids do nowadays.

In my experience this really depends. It used to be true when I started writing and was drinking less. I wrote a lot of pathos but let my amplified emotions unravel wich was good.
These days I write and drink more routinely, but seldom at the same time. I just get lazy and/or lust after drinking more. My writing is a lot worse when I drink. Small doses of alcohol are okay, but anything beyond two beers and my quality declines.
Just my personal experience.

>Write drunk, edit sober
it just means you need to be open and honest with yourself and disciplined to revisit it and make sure your ideas make sense

It's kind of a yin/yang thing.

My executive functions are a part of me you spastic. If a drug takes away part of me, it's not a more pure me you're left with, it's less of you.
Talking like paralysing someone's legs lets you see who they truly are, unable to fucking walk without relying on legs.
It's just some bullshit alcohol mythology built up by people looking to point fingers

>be depressed
>get drunk
>write 20 pages
>edit sober
>it's actually good
>HEY!
>get drunk
>write 20 pages
repeat for two weeks
>can't get drunk
>can't write
>drink more
>write nothing
>hate myself more
>get more depressed
fuck.
I'm such a broken human being. Nothing works for longer than 3 weeks. Medication, alcohol, good intentions, jobs, I really might as well die.

This

Pls do

Hemingway wrote sober and never said this, some cunt on the internet made it up.

done

>if you can't afford tip, you can't afford to go out
I never tip

the one addressed here- calling someone's father an idiot void of not only the context of his generally making that statement, but of any knowledge of his life at all- says more about (you) than it does of my pop. And that's just to be nice.

Dont go to the same place twice. There will be extra flavor in your food.

>write drunk
>edit sober
>become an alcoholic
wtf i hate the literary life now

No, none whatsoever.

And hemmingway didn't actually say this.

Almost all the famous drunk authors wrote sober themselves. Faulkner, who was one of the worst drunks, would refrain from drinking for several months while he was working on a project, then drink himself into a complete alcoholic stupor for a few months after his project was done.

It's actually very fucking difficult to write while drunk, and not even very productive. You also have to consider that your drunk is nowhere what fucking Hemmingway's drunk would be, your homo ass would get shitfaced after about 6 shots of cinnamon flavored liquor, while any decent drunk writer would get at least a quart of booze in them, so I'm sure we're talking about much different levels of functionality.

That just means they have a higher tolerance, not that they're necessarily more drunk

I dunno man, being a drunk myself, I can sometimes find myself just staring at the ceiling for most of the day because I'm so fucking out of it.

Don't know many casuals who get that way.

I was wondering how Hemingway would write 'sober' actually because when you're at that level of intake you are either drinking or in withdrawal.

Hemingway worked all morning, and drank all night from what he said. Withdrawal isn't that big of a deal when you're used to it all the damn time basically.

I know a lot of drunks who claim they never get hungover, but it's just because they've been hungover for a few decades now and don't even notice it. If they stop drinking for like 6 months then it'll become clear to them what normal feels like. Your body has a way of just habituating most anything.

You're reading far too much into shitposting mate.

also not all drunks habits are the same anyway. Some like to stay slightly drunk 24/7, and hence never have a hangover at all. These tend to make up the worst writers, like Kerouac and HST.

Much more common in writers, and great people in general, are binge drinkers. They can take months off drinking, and do something like write a book, and then jump right back into the drinking. Withdrawal isn't that bad for them, as they're used to cycles of drinking and not.

The maintenance drinkers are the ones who get dts and withdrawal and all that. HST was so bad off, that he had to have intravenous alcohol pumped into him while he was having surgery, because the fuck would have died from withdrawal if he didn't have booze for even a few hours.

That's funny (:

Binging and quitting is actually the worst you can do, leads to kindling and brain damage.

Binge drinking isn't good, by any means, but maintenance drinking is far worse for health. A lot of maintenance drinkers might even think they're being more healthy, because many of them don't even get drunk a lot of the time, they just need that steady drip of alcohol. It is far worse health-wise in the long term. The damage to the steady constricting blood flow in your body alone can be horrific. I've seen people who've had body parts just fucking die on them, and need amputated. Then there's the dts and and tolerance and all that shit too. The common death of these people is when they steadily erode their esophagus from drinking, and the constricted blood vessels in there which weaken and eventually burst, then then liver slowly fails and never has a chance to heal itself, so then they eventually a blood vessel bursts in the esophagus, and won't close because of decreased liver function, and they basically die barfing up blood. Happened to Kerouac and tons of other drunks.

Binge drinking is pretty fucking bad, but at the very least your body gets a chance to heal and try to re habituate itself. Binge drinkers usually just kill themselves.

Thanks bro. I just need to hear this everyday. I hope i can hold on. Your opinion is also very reasonable in my consideration and that's what someone can hold on to.

... Fuck, that's dark. How'd you get so knowledgeable about this, are you in the medical field or something?

I worked in a rehab facility for a long time. Got out of it after I realized that it basically does no good.

People who really want to quit just quit all by themselves really, they don't need much help. Rehabs are just there to babysit addicts for a few months until their next relapse.

I've been drinking a lot lately, like 1/3-1/2 a bottle of rum a night for like, a month and a half. Maybe two. And freaking out about how much I'm drink makes me want to drink more.

I know it's bad, but do you know how long until I start doing irreversible damage to myself? I just... I'm in a bad place right now, but I don't want to ruin myself completely.

Not a clue. Aside from not knowing how old you are and how long you've been drinking.

Everybody's bodies are different. Some people die in their 30s from alcohol related problems. Some make it into their 70s, and quit, then have no lasting effects at all.

You know it's not good for your health...and that's all you need to know really. Just a matter of time if you keep fucking around with it.

If you're looking to quit, I would tell you to examine why you do it. What does it psychologically do for you? That's not as easy of an answer as you might think. you'll continue drinking until you resolve this issue, figure out what need that isn't being filled, is seemingly filled by your alcohol use.

>What does it psychologically do for you? That's not as easy of an answer as you might think.
I know, though. I've always self medicated with alcohol because I'm fucked up. If I'm not drinking, I'm self-harming or purging. It always comes and goes in waves, but... I'm not a kid anymore. I'm 27 and when I was 18 and fucked up, it was easy, right? I'd just get better, I'll finish school, get a job.

But now, when I get in a bad place, I'm just a fuck up. I just don't want to feel like a fuck up any more, but I can't, because I have crippling psychological issues that medication only mitigates a little bit.

Jeeze, I'm sorry user. That got away from me.

Dunno, because I will never do this. Alcohol lowers the seizure threshold and I'm epileptic as all heck, and if I do drink, which is always in extreme moderation and never enough to even get a buzz, just enough to taste really, my mood the next day is fucked to all heck and have like ten panic attacks makes it 100% not worth it.

Are you sober if you've taken zopiclone or benzos? Because I could try writing half an hour after a dose and see if it makes a difference.

well your problems are never going to just go away with time, or when you get a better job, or get the girlfriend or car or buttplug you always wanted. They'll always be there, and probably get worse the further you go.

It's up to you to get them under control. You really have to do the detective work, and figure out where all the shit comes from, and why. A good therapist can help, but you'd still be doing all the work.

One protip I'd give is purpose in life. What do you feel your purpose is? That's actually an essential answer you're going to need to get anywhere. What is it, and why aren't you doing it?

If we don't have a purpose in life, then fuck it, why not drink ourselves stupid all the time? Why not just be happy being a fuckup?

>tfw 20 year old college kid who thinks he's invincible unsure if he's fucking up the rest of his life or if he's being moderate enough to grow out of it
W-wew, l-lads

Long term health shouldn't be that big of a concern either. As most drunks don't make it long enough for long term effects.

Most people never think of this, but shit like just getting drunk and falling down the goddamn steps does in a fair share of drunks.

bravo

I think we're talking about different kinds of binges. I mean staying drunk for weeks, getting sober for a week or so, relapsing, going hard for weeks again et cetera.

I've noticed that my withdrawals get worse every time I overcome another bout of physical dependency and that you get dependant quicker and quicker.

Of course drinking all the time will get you in the end, but repeatedly going through alcohol withdrawals is a good way to wreck your nervous system early in life.

if you want to scare yourself straight have a peek at the al/ck/ general thread and see people who are going blind because they're on three to five bottles of vodka a day or dying from organ failure looking as yellow as homer simpson

a lot of people posting there suddenly don't come back and it's not because they lose interest in shitposting

Cool then i'll call the health board and have them shut down or in serious shit.

I'm just saying, tips are like a bribe to keep people from messing with your food.

It doesn't literally mean get drunk and write, then edit when you have a hangover.

It means to write without inhibitions, and build upon the best parts with scrutiny.

within a year you will have physical signs of alocohol abuse in your liver and on your face, arms, neck, within 3-5 you will have shaved a large portion of your life off. within 10 you will be close to dying. have fun

For me there appears to be a sweet spot intoxication wise where my inhibitions are sufficiently lowered to defeat my crippling insecurities, but sober enough to maintain coherency and voice.

Interesting. You could develop a drinking schedule to keep yourself in that zone.

That guys an idiot but so are you

For me it works best when it's spontaneous, like when I happen to get drunk then at some point I randomly decide to write a page or two of something I'm working on or a poem. Most of my writing is done sober but planning to get drunk for the purpose of writing isn't that effective.

are you a posturing teenager or just someone with absolutely no character whatsoever? i have absolutely never said anything while i was drunk that i hadn’t thought while i was sober, or done something while i was drunk that i wouldn’t have at least wanted to do while i was sober. booze doesn’t “change your personality,” it lowers your inhibitions dumbass. if you’re a shitty person when you’re drinking, maybe you’re just a shitty person. the problem isn’t the liquor, it’s you.

the absolute madman

The shit I write drunk is awful. Having two drinks can be alright, but I can't write at all when I'm blotto.

>are you a posturing teenager or just someone with absolutely no character whatsoever?
it must be one of the two, right? if you ask me, someone who thinks they do their best work via a drunk-to-sober "fun" cycle of writing sounds more like a posturing teenager than an adult.

Works pretty well for me. Alcohol unblocks your hidden potential, it's just important not to get too drunk, else you just throw up on the keyboard or end up playing games.

the best works of art, like the best works of love, are the products of the will, not the passions

When I get drunk I cry a lot. That's why I'm a stoner.

>get drunk
>write a drunken pamphlet on why i hate niggers
>"edit it sober"

cringe

I write stoned, but i also only write for my pleasure so...

kek

Wrote my master thesis drinking up to 8 beers a day and got an A+. AMA

writing stoned is even worse than writing drunk. the reason weed guys feel it makes them more creative isn't because it gives them better ideas, but because it attenuates their capacity for aesthetic appreciation