First Book of 2018

This is the first of 3 biographies I will be reading by Richardson. The other 2 on Thoreau and Emerson.

What was your first read of 2018, and what's next?

finishing two books i started in 17, rereading one, then gravity's rainbow

Amazon takes like a month to ship to my country, but when my boks arrive it's going to be In Search of Lost Time

white noise by delilo

Balls deep in Moby Dick then its uh Herman Broch I suppose

Some Americana- Friedrich Ratzel's Sketches of Urban and Cultural Life in North America (1876) and John Muir's Steep Trails.
Have read all three of those Richardson books, user. The W James this past summer. Good stuff.

Enjoy, that's my favorite book. I wish the King of the Hill guy would make an animated movie out of it.

That would actually be quite good. Darkly comical yet sadly sweet. And then those Family Guy animated faces wd begin to appear all over the White Noise covers..
When I was younger a thought like that one would have angered me. As if it were somehow up to me to safeguard some phantom integrity that.. that..

Same!

I finally had the opportunity to read Things Fall Apart. What a fantastic book. I can't believe I waited so long to get into it. I intend on reading the rest of the African Trilogy. I also just finished Giovanni's Room which is another book I have been holding off on. James Baldwin is truly a master of wit and emotional intellect. Baldwin is the kind of writer that could make the internal spiritual world seem so dark and tragic

Finished Frankenstein reread and read Dragon Teeth, which I bought at the airport, and was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. Last time I bought an "airport bestseller" it was Delicious Foods, the hands down worst book I read last year, and the time before that was some Malcolm Gladwell shite.

Unironically this.

Funnily enough I posted one of the poems in a critique thread and every thought it was great.

I'm currently working through Infinite Jest for the first time.

It was either the Turner Diaries by Pierce or Schiller's play on Joan of Arc. Forgot the specific dates.

Paradise Lost
it will be followed by a re-read of His Dark Materials (for an easy intermission)
and then Don Quixote
after thata I think I'll tackle the Metamorphoses by Ovid

Brother got me Ancillary Justice for Christmas so that's the first book I'll be reading in 2018. So far seems ok.

After that, who knows? Might read the Jeremy Scahill book I got for myself last year.

Heart of Darkness.

>Spotted the pleb

First, still reading, Ovid's Metamorphoses. I haven't familiarized with the old Greek/Roman pantheon so it's kind of arduous. Next may be Kafka's Castle. If my package arrives soon, I'm specifically awaiting Paradise Regained and Sampson Agonistes.

Too Big to Fail by Andrew Ross Sorkin.

Why the fuck was this book so long?

"Paulson (took a call | tapped out an email) on his BlackBerry™" x 1000

A second more in-depth read this time. Every time he mentions art, painters, mathematicians, concepts of any kind I take my time to read upon them.

To ensure commercial success.

Damn Spengler's comfy. Was sorry when West concluded. Should've taken my own sweet time, too.

Alice Adams by Booth Tarkington

Crichton is a pretty well regarded author, mate