How can you like this shit

How can you like this shit

sorry i got tight last night

i was 14 and didnt know what masculinity meant leave me alone

I preferred Mark Riptoe's adaptation

Old Man and the Sea and For Whom the Bell Tolls are far better. His earlier work is not great.

unexpected kek

So far I found The Sun Also Rises to be my favorite by Hemingway and I wished I had started with that one instead of A Farewell to Arms. That one rescued my appreciation for Hemingway from being doomed, so will continue to read his novels and For Whom the Bells Tolls is probably next.

The only good thing Hemingway ever wrote was the story about the guy whose wife cucks him in Africa and gets attacked by the lion.

in this user's humble opinion pic related would be your wisest investment if you wish to venture further into hemingwayland

I tried reading this a long time back when I was more of a pleb.This was shit.

I don't think its shit but man nothing happens, I'm at the part where he just got back to the front, I thought it was picking up when he was blown up but then it slowed right back down.

>I thought it was picking up when he was blown up but then it slowed right back down.

almost as if the main character needed rest and healing after being hit by a fucking mortar shell

>sits around drinking cinzano
>meets a girl
>gets blown up
>gets cirrosis
>goes back to the front

Macomber is fucking GOAT

Also: Garden of Eden is a really underrated work of his. The book unironically changed my life.

>The book unironically changed my life.
how?

Thanks I'll consider it in the future, The Old Man and the Sea was neat and all.

Everything but the part with the rout was completely forgettable. The love interest was one dimensional, her death came out of nowhere abd left no impact at all.

Sun Also Rises is way better.

Americans shoving their shit to the rest of the world as usual

Several aspects. I read this book at 20, so don‘t expect any mindblowing revelations if you‘re past 25. The book however opened my eyes on several things at that time.
The easiest was about the fluidity facettes of sexuality. I had at that time only experienced „normal“ sex, never any role reversal etc. I approached the topic more openly after. The whole role reversal and taboo aspects covered in the book made me more open minded. Don‘t get me wrong here, I didn‘t fuck guys after or anything but I understood how one could want that.
More importantly however the story changed how I viewed relationships. I was at the time still with my very first girlfriend and very much in love and obviously very naive. In Garden of Eden I witnessed a relationship ending for the first time. It prepared me. I understood that relationships fail and end and I understood how it happened. Also that it might sometimes be inevitable.
It wasn‘t too long after that mine ended, in southern France, in a small appartment with a view of the sea and a beach bar called „L‘Eden“. You might see why the book holds a special place in my heart.

Truly tedious pointless stories in every respect. One of the few writers that can make a 5 page story seem like an eternity to get through.

Who are some other writers to avoid if I absolutely despise Hemingway's style?

very nice! thanks for the reply user, i love hearing stories like yours. books that truly leave a mark are a rare and beautiful thing