Explain to me how postmodern literature is band

explain to me how postmodern literature is band.

hard mode: don't use pretension as an argument

bad*

but band is fine too

You should ask people who actually think that.

It isn't.

It poisons society and mind of individuals and leaves them with no values, kills their love of life, smothers their strife for greatness.
Ideally, only strong-willed people should be allowed to indulge in such ideas, otherwise you get worldwide onslaught of nihilism, dread and depression.

do your own research. The answer that you'll get is an obvious one anyway. It's funny that your asking a bunch of people for an opinion on postmodernism when they couldn't even tell you about modernism.

>go to literature board
>ask question
>surprise, surprise, this place doesn't know shit
>hurr do it urself, i wont waste anymore of my time even responding :^D

>There is a single set of ideas common to all post-modern literature
>Thomas Pynchon, Kurt Vonnegut, Italo Calvino and William Gaddis are responsible for the current state of the west.
North America was a mistake.

>it smothers their strife for greatness

Literally what? What the fuck are you talking about? With all those big books those lads are writing? Do you really think it's the art and philosophy contributing to the ever-evolving capital chasing that shits on everything you hold dear? Is it not the environment of political lies and fear? How is Pynchon responsible for just observing?

Are you a dink who listens to Jordan Peterson?

sorry, just baiting out more opinions on post-modernism.

It's eternally hilarious the red herrings inherent in postmodernism. This leads to pseuds calling it out, as if it IT is an actually entity, with characteristics that can be easily identified by anything.

The internet is insanely "postmodern" by Jordan Peterson's arbitrary definition, and delivers way more subversion than the entirety of the arts of the twentieth and nineteenth centuries combined, yet he doesn't go after it, because he found a way to get the sweet Patreon bucks.

But that's just a criticism of Peterson, not of the larger concept of postmodernism as a cultural movement. Does the label 'decontextualization' make the idea of a cultural movement that carries many of the aesthetic ideals of postmodernism sound more believable to you?

My problem with pomo isn't so much the pretension as the endless irony. It doesn't end, the cycle from cool -> interesting -> banal -> vapid -> back to interesting and so on. Consumer/reactionary societies end up recycling the same old shit, just slightly adjusting it to relate to the generation(s) with the most disposable income at the moment (Star Wars VI-VI, then Star Wars I-III, etc). And it is the same old shit, because that's all the shit anyone was ever taught in this PoMoLand, so that's all the shit they know how to teach their children. A few generations of this, plus extreme comfort and dulled/warped animal insticts, you get a weird fucking society watching superhero movie sequels to forget about something bad from a long time ago, right up until the end, which will be live streamed.

fuggggggg i almost got baited
9/10

where did this Foster Wallace meme come from
are you guys just making fun of his depression and suicide
you probably are

he's been on this board for years lad

I think he is laughing with DFW but the guy actually wrote a book on this "E Pluribus Unam" it is part of "A supposedly fun thing ill never do again"

>newfag outing himself

I'd never defend postmodernism, but isn't postmodern lit a reflection of a postmodern mind and not the other way around? For me it is not the cause, but a symptom.

It does play a role by perpetuating lack of values, but is that really bad? perhaps we're
slowly moving forward to a new paradigm and postmodernism is nothing but a necessary pit stop towards that goal.

Someone help me understand.

1. What is 'postmodernism'

Whats wrong with jordan peterson? Hes pretty good

I have been on Veeky Forums since 2008 you newfag and this is like the third or fourth time I have seen him discussed on this board. Stop samefagging.

JP likes to bogeyman marxism and postmodernism together

Just because some pomos are marxist and some marxists are pomo does not mean all pomo are marxist

We should let JP know Einsteins desk was messy all the time, he would have a heart attack

>did you clean your room yet

Yeah he does do that. But I have also found postmodern stuff that ive read so far to be very bleak

Its not about cleaning itself its about the idea...

The idea being that for some people their physical living sense is a reflection of their mental state and if they can start with the smallest easiest change that will bring a change then they should start by cleaning their room

Or just be conscientious and ask yourself if you need to clean your room and if that small voice in your head says yes then do it

good bait, have a (you)

Postmodernism isn't.
It doesn't exist.

It has no concept of beauty.

Didn't the concept of beauty get axed in modernism first?

Pretty much

Erm, what? Did you even read any modernist poet other than Eliot?

what good are values if they're empty?

If I did to a dog what he did to writing I'd be put away for life

I'm glad he's dead

I don't dislike pomo but it is very masturbatory. "Hey let's obfuscate the plotline by making it non-linear" "AyyIronyLMAO" "Hol up reader, let me shoe in this technical digression that doesn't serve any real purpose"

Life without values is meaningless. I have more respect for the backwards muslim who fights tooth and nail for his pedophilic prophet than I do for a guy who stays in his room all day smoking a bowl.

How isnt obfuscation a purpose? its pretty important in the text

Problem is I don't want to kill myself.