There's nothing quite like A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Ulysses is great...

There's nothing quite like A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Ulysses is great, but it doesn't got the same feeling of Portait, even with Dedalus present. I enjoyed Portait more than Ulysses. Maybe I like bildungsromans overmuch, although, I usually don't enjoy them as much as I did this novel.

Read Finwake faggot.

I felt the same exact way when I first read Ulysses. Portrait changed my life. But a big reason for that was that Portrait came at the perfect time in my life when I needed something exactly like it. Ulysses was nice on my first reading, god-tier prose, but for whatever reason the timing of Portrait in my life is what made such a deep impression. I returned to Ulysses a year later, and it was even more rewarding than Portrait. But I totally hear you, Portrait is such a beautiful novel. I love James Joyce beyond words, he made me believe in God in a strange way. I'll be reading Finnegans Wake soon.

Portrait is a young man's book. It has more emotional resonnance to us because its written exactly for people at our stage of life and position. Ulysses has more of a universal value though I feel the same way

>Portrait changed my life.
How?

Unfortunately, nobody cares.

why are you here, faggot?

In what order should I read Joyce? Is it Dubliners - Portrait - Ulysses - Finwake? Or is there another, better way?

Certainly Portrait of the Artist is not as challenging as Ulysses. In Portrait Joyce takes Proust's up-close lens and applies it to a child in Dublin. In Ulysses Joyce pushes Proust's entire form in directions the French author would dare go. In Finnegan's Wake we see Joyce throw away Proust's playbook and open that floodgates of post-modern literature.

thats the way. Chronological order. Dubliners is the best entry point, portrait should be read before ulysses regardless of anything and finnegans should be last.

sonnez la cloche!

I wanted to be a writer in high school, it was the only thing I was good at. The only praise I ever received in my life was for my writing when my English teacher had us break into pairs for a writing assignment, and no one wanted to write with me because they thought I was weird (which was fair on their part, I was very weird, I deserved more bullying when I think about it). Anyway the teacher said "No one wants to write with user, that's strange, he's the best writer I've ever taught." It may have even been true. I would quote Proust, from memory, on in-class writing assignments. My essay on the standardized test that year was used by the state education board as an example for what a perfect essay looked like, and sent to every English teacher in the state as part of their exam prep the following year.

I discarded writing when I went to college. I applied as an English major, but at freshman orientation when they asked my major, and I said English Literature, my father grabbed me by the arm, pulled me into the hallway and smacked me in front of a few people. He told me to give that shit up or don't go to school at all. So I walked back in and said I was a business major. For six years I completely forgot about writing fiction, but I aced every essay/paper assignment in college. Then I was reading some self-help books because life felt pointless, stumbled into fiction on Veeky Forums, bought Portrait at my local B&N (B&N Classics, with Dubliners in the same volume), read Portrait and then The Dead, and I was floored. First of all it was the first book where I actually paid attention to prose, and has since become my "standard" for prose, basically ruining 99% of literature for me. Second and most importantly, it reminded me of the time I had a passion in my life and life didn't feel so pointless. I walked right out of my cubicle, got a low time commitment job where I can work from home, and am pursuing my dream as a writer and I don't care if I starve to death. "Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age."

I think you should read Portrait first actually, then Dubliners

Thanks for sharing. I should really get to Portrait now that I've read and loved Dubliners. I adore books that have the capacity to awaken my passions.

literally joyce's worst book
try again when you're out of undergrad

no

(you)

>I discarded writing when I went to college. I applied as an English major, but at freshman orientation when they asked my major, and I said English Literature, my father grabbed me by the arm, pulled me into the hallway and smacked me in front of a few people. He told me to give that shit up or don't go to school at all.
bullshit. you don't have to write a story for us, user.

when will we get One Shade: Black

I'm currently writing a sequel to this called "Stephen An Hero".
Spoiler alert: It's about a book within a book within a book. And in the end the author dies in a fourth book.

Haven't read Ulysses yet but I preferred Dubliners to Portrait. Portrait felt a bit indulgent, although still great.

>Maybe I like bildungsromans overmuch
No, you like Ulysses undermuch.

The first 4 chapters are great but chapter 5 is fucking awful and should have been removed entirely.

Portrait genuinely saved my life. I read it when I was severely depressed and hardly wanted to live. It's such a beautiful book. I concede that Ulysses is objectively better, but Portrait will always be my favorite book.

2 years tops, but lets be honest. If it actually happens we all know what it's going to be about.

One Shade: Blacked

Anyone have the chart for James Joyce?

I had a similar treatment by academia. When I read Portrait in high school I decided I would be an English major.

And that's how James Joyce ruined my life.

Dubs **
Port ***
Uly ****
Finne *****

>Anyone have the chart for James Joyce?

Thanks