Books/Passages that made you cry

What books/passages made you cry? Context would be appreciated. I've never felt this while reading, but I'd like to. I came close in Swann's Way when M. Swann hears the Vinteuil sonata.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For me recently, White Nights, The Road, and The Power and the Glory got me teary. Not to mention Hector talking to Astyanax and Andromache. Otherwise if you really want to cry do Of Mice and Men.

I admittedly don't read much nonfiction but His Brother's Keeper was brutal for me.

I cried during The Power and The Glory. Specifically when Padre Jose refuses to host the funeral.

A couple passages from The Illiad wetted my eyes a bit, mainly Achilles' grief at discovering Patroklus' body.

Last chapter of Return of the King

The Road movie had me all fucked up, especially during my doomsday prepper youtube rabbit hole. To the point where the nukes are coming down I'd rather just sit on my balcony and die reading Proust.

I guess all I've read so far have been classic epics where I focused mostly on the style, or just read as prerequisites for stuff like Ulysses. I have not been reading for a long time.

you fucking pussy

The last couple pages of The Dead has gotten me a few times. It's really hard not to cry with how sublime it is and with how much I can relate to Gabriel. That combined with the sincerity that Joyce wrote that short story with. It was definitely one of the most personal things he wrote.

Behead All Satans
Cinderella's Concrete Shoes
Pandemonium of The Sun
On Women
Der Hexenhammer
On the jews and their lies
Green Eggs and Ham
Ulysses

Five years to freedom

After finishing Flowers for Algernon I shed a few tears. I have a disabled sister, so I guess it struck a chord.

more importantly

what is it that made you guys feel emotional? the prose?

or the time invested in reading about the characters?

could you feel equally emotional having been introduced to the character only two chapters ago?

Books books books post more gifs like this

The Road
The Road
The Road
Flowers for Algernon
Mainly just me crying from being oversensitive

I can't recall ever crying from reading something. I do remember coming close two times in recent years: the endings of Hesse's Beneath the Wheel and Styron's Sophie's Choice.

A Farewell to Arms

>the ending of Green eggs and Ham
H-hold me senpai

This make me laugh and cry of happiness every time

The descriptions of Levin’s farming in Part 2 of Anna Karenina, when he is trying to get over Kitty.

Not really. The only thing that can tear me up like a bitch is sad music (sad music in movies counts as well). I still get emotional but it never goes far enough to cry.

the part where frankensteins monster goes in the house to see the old blind man of the family in the hut

>When Quixote died
>End of The Road
>Lear's mad scenes

Fucking almost everything Dostoevskii
There is something about people, especially women, living in poverty and misery that just gets me.

"Sure. It’s been hopeless for a long time, from the very beginning. You will never represent, Raphael, a young girl’s erotic dream. You have to resign yourself to the inevitable; such things are not for you. It’s already too late, in any case. The sexual failure you’ve known since your adolescence, Raphael, the frustration that has followed you since the age of thirteen, will leave their indelible mark. Even supposing that you might have women in the future - which in all frankness I doubt - this will not be enough; nothing will ever be enough. You will always be an orphan to those adolescent loves you never knew. In you the wound is already deep; it will get deeper and deeper. An atrocious, unremitting bitterness will end up gripping your heart. For you there will be neither redemption nor deliverance. That’s how it is."

First and only thing to make me cry since my dog died.

why the hell are there signs on the beach in the water?

Stop signs for the tide

Did she died?

Albertine dies
M.’s grandmother dies
Robert Saint-Loup dies
Swann Dies
Mme Verdurin and Prince de Guermantes both their spouses die

what place does this? I've been all up and down the california coast + much of alaska's coast and never saw this

The ending of The Idiot.

Marmeladovs drunken monologue in C&P

Bump

Unironically pic related. There is something mythically tragic about an evergreen unrequited love.

These kinds of sentiments are so baffling to me. I feel something of their kind often, but I always catch myself in the act, and realize how bizzare these ideas are. Is it not at its core a longing for mediocrity? A desire to be unremarkable and live some prosaic life that you imagine the everyman to live. There is no greatness there. Ought one not love greatness? Certainly one ought not aspire to mediocrity...

Pretty much any time Mason thinks of Rebekah, and when they reunite in old age.

portrait of the artist as a young man because the beginning part is so beautiful

It's a longing to gain access to a type of feeling or knowledge that almost every other human has access to. In fact, I could argue possessing that knowledge is necessary to be human.

I got misty eyes at the end of the plague by Camus. It really pulled my heart strings for some reason

>Of Mice and Men

Made my eyes water. I'm not affected by much, but that hit me.

Was I supposed to tear up during the defense's final speech in Brothers Karamazov? Because I did.

I also teared up a little bit during the kid's funeral and during Alyosha's little speech afterwards.

This right here boys

i cried when the little brave boy in Brothers Karamazov kept saying positive things...

Several times during One Hundred Years of Solitude, notably the ascension of Remedios the Beautiful and death of Colonel Aureliano

Once every Kafka book

These are the most recent ones, I'm a total wuss

Children of Hurin

"my mother is a fish"

context: my mother is a fish

The Castaway chapter is my favorite chapter in moby dick and one of the reasons why it's my favorite book, this passage particularly hit really close to home but it didn't make me cry.

"The sea had jeeringly kept his finite body up, but drowned the infinite of his soul. Not drowned entirely, though. Rather carried down alive to wondrous depths, where strange shapes of the unwarped primal world glided to and fro before his passive eyes; and the miser-merman, Wisdom, revealed his hoarded heaps; and among the joyous, heartless, ever-juvenile eternities, Pip saw the multitudinous, God-omnipresent, coral insects, that out of the firmament of waters heaved the colossal orbs. He saw God's foot upon the treadle of the loom, and spoke it; and therefore his shipmates called him mad. So man's insanity is heaven's sense; and wandering from all mortal reason, man comes at last to that celestial thought, which, to reason, is absurd and frantic; and weal or woe, feels then uncompromised, indifferent as his God."

Is it bad that I've read a lot of the entries in this thread and felt nothing close to these posters? Has reading the first half of Meditations and first half of Seneca's letters ruined me emotionally?

Lilith (when the main girl ran up to her mother and mother picked her up and smashed her on the ground)
I barely remember the book, but I tears are almost forming from just thinking about that scene.

Raskolnikov's confession

Lots of books but the notable ones are;

Anna Karenina when Levin and Kitty get married - from happiness

Calvin and Hobbes all the time

Catcher in the Rye title drop part

I've never cried while reading a book, but this part from Journey to the End of the Night is almost enough.
>Obviously Alcide was perfectly at ease, at home so to speak, in the higher regions, on terms of familiarity with the angels. You wouldn't have known it to look at him. With hardly a thought of what he was doing, he had consented to years of torture, to the crushing of his life in this torrid monotony for the sake of a little girl to whom he was vaguely related. Motivated by nothing but his good heart, he had set no conditions and asked nothing in return. To that little girl far away he was giving enough tenderness to make this whole world over, and he never showed it.
>Suddenly he fell asleep in the candlelight. After awhile I got up to look at his face. He slept like everybody else. He looked quite ordinary. There ought to be some mark by which to distinguish good people from bad.

East of Eden made me cry a couple times. It’s really something that the book contains so much sadness and beauty all at once.

is that foucault's pendulum?

I cried during one of the Sailor Moon films
but
>crying while reading

The only time I cried from reading:
>reading The Brothers Karamazov in cafe near my university
>get to Zosima's explanation of Active Love in the chapter A Woman of Little Faith
>feel like about to cry from happiness, it was so lovely and exactly what I needed at that time in my life, like the weight of my existential dread was temporarily suspended over my head, my faith in God was restored for the first time since the Catholic church pedophilia scandal which made my family decree religion
>had slight sniffles beforehand, now built up
>a thick goopy 6 inch snot slowly drips down my nose and into the book
>i'm too stunned to react right away, so i jerk my head up
>all 6 inches of the snot landed across the very page that made me so happy, made me almost cry, the page I instantly imagined ripping out of this library book and taping it to a corner of my bathroom mirror, so every morning when i look in the mirror i can look at it, read it, and in the corner of my eye watch my smile grow as i read down the page and then look in the mirror with a full smile and for once in my life i start my day with hope. and this was now destroyed.
>see a qt3.14 from my classes, who smiled at me once (a huge deal for me), look me dead in the eyes, clearly saw the entire thing, then turned away like pic related, turning so abruptly that it made me think she didn't intend on turning, and the chair in front of me was the only thing in her original path so i realized she was originally walking toward ME!
>before i could think to wipe the snot off the page before it seeped in, tears were dropping on the page and both sad liquids were soaking in deep by now. these tears were not from happiness anymore
>the thick existential dread that was previously lifted came crashing back down on my soul
>i cried mindlessly for about 5 minutes until i realized i could just get my own copy of the book

Oh jesus fuck

Luke 15:11-32

The Parable of the Lost Son

11 Jesus continued: “There was a man who had two sons.

12 The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate.’ So he divided his property between them.

13 “Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living.

14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need.

15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs.

16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death!

18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you.

19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’

20 So he got up and went to his father.
But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21 “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet.

23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate.

24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

25 “Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing.

26 So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on.

27 ‘Your brother has come,’ he replied, ‘and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’

28 “The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him.

29 But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends.

30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’

31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.

32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”

>longing to be ordinary
it's one thing to be an outlier, but have some god damn dignity jesus

Florida and its to warn the retarded tourists that the water has sting rays and rip-tides but they never listen and wind up getting eaten by a shark or some shit

What? When you've been isolated and on the bottom end of the hierarchy your entire life there's nothing else you want other than to be normal and ordinary

Look at the son's face, how relieved.
And His father, this eyes says "the long wait is over".

I have a big one of this in my living room, but I don't look at it often.
It's just too beautiful.

“Tirian, with his head against Jewel's flank, slept as soundly as if he were in his royal bed at Cair Paravel, till the sound of a gong beating awoke him and he sat up and saw that there was firelight on the far side of the stable and knew that the hour had come. "Kiss me, Jewel," he said. "For certainly this is our last night on earth. And if ever I offended against you in any matter great or small, forgive me now."

"Dear King," said the Unicorn, "I could almost wish you had, so that I might forgive it. Farewell. We have known great joys together. If Aslan gave me my choice I would choose no other life than the life I have had and no other death than the one we go to.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Last Battle

whats this from? i like it

Houellebecq

for whom the bell tolls

come chat
discord gg/c37NwyB

>Experience teenage love is being mediocre
lol wat