What should I read before jumping into Don Quixote? Qué leer antes del Quijote?

What should I read before jumping into Don Quixote? Qué leer antes del Quijote?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.es/amp/amp.lne.es/oviedo/2016/04/26/cervantes-tenia-formacion-filosofica-importante/1917144.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You should not read El quijote tobe honest, boring as fuck yeah its a classic but not a fun one unlike crime and punishment, 1984 etc.
It is more like Ulysses.

It can pretty much stands on its own, user. Be prepared to read one of the greatest pieces of literature ever. Action-packed, witty, hilarious, etc. The user above me is shit-posting (1984, wtf?). Hopefully you read it in Spanish though. If not, that's okay, but it's just a suggestion. Maybe the user above me read it in English.

The Bible

While Don Quixote brings heavily the famed 'Cavalry Novels', most of those aren't worth reading for Quixote.
I'd say Song of Roland and some Arthur or another.

just jump right in, you don't need any context to understand the main plot or any of the cucking sub-stories in there

Not OP but damn this books seems so good. I'm planning on reading it this summer (I'm a slow reader so I will need some time), I feel like lke this will become my favorite book ever. I'm so excited. I love books, and I love Veeky Forums.

Yeah I didn't plan on reading that stuff. I was wondering about texts by humanists who were coevals to Cervantes and such
google.es/amp/amp.lne.es/oviedo/2016/04/26/cervantes-tenia-formacion-filosofica-importante/1917144.html

Also would you advice to read Avellaneda's Quijote in between the two parts?

If you have a book with good footnotes, you'll be okay. Most of his references are noted and aren't even really important to the story. He likes to name drop and isn't really interested in coming off as erudite, even though he clearly is learned.

Don Quixote is for the most part boring as fuck, but it does have occasional moments of brilliance, like the 90 page subplot about the guy rescuing the slave girl in North Africa.

So essentially the best thing about Don Quixote is a section without Don Quixote.

Dude, that article gives you a bunch of names. Why are you asking us? haha
That said, reading Aristotle is not important for Don Quijote. Just cause one scholar says something doesn't make it fact.

It's a brilliant book.

No required reading necessary.

no te hicieron leerlo en el colegio?

no mames wey, soy de Mexico, casi nadie puede leer aquí, pinches indios feos

I just started reading the Edith Grossman translation and it's hysterically funny

I don't get this board's preoccupatuon with preparing for novels. I guess it's on account of most people learning to read novels from high school english classes. Just jump in. You'll miss a fair amount but that's true of any book's first reading. Great books are meant to be re-read. You can revisit it at a more erudite time in your life and get new things from it. But don't deprive yourself now when you're perfectly capable of enjoying many of its pleasures.

What's the best Quixote translation. I can borrow a Grossman translation from my mom, but I could also pick up a copy for myself by someone else

The Song of Roland probably a good place to start.

just learn spanish, it can be done in 2 or 3 hours

No.

Grossman's good. I'm partial to Burton Raffel.

That's barely an exaggeration. You can get fairly good at it in about a week.

anyway it's not a good idea as the Don Quixote is writen in archaic spanish, there are "translations" to semi-modernized spanish but at that point you might as well read it in another language

Actually read up on Aristoteles virtue ethics (a wikipedia entry or similiar should suffice) and there is also a lecture from Yale on Don Quixote on youtube. Search for it and watch the introduction video (you can also watch the others as you read along, but they will have spoilers). Most importantly, have fun!

I purchased a copy of Motteux translation, I thought it was wonderfully charming, although it lacks certain grammar such as quotations around dialogue, but it's also written in such a way that it always specifies who it is that is speaking so it's not a big deal at all.

Rea Cervantes' Novelas Ejemplares.

I think some o the stories are named in Don Quixote.

Any good spanish books? I've just been using duolingo

>Song of Roland
What if I plan on reading those anyway?

La vida del Buscón is miserable and funny, if you want a fast read something like La vida es sueño shouldn't take long to read. not sure how archaic will the language on those sound to foreigners, may be too complicated to read.

if you want some modern and normie-core you can try something like La catedral del mar, or La Sombra del Viento

Fui a una industrial, salimos sabiendo como hacer un cohete que llegue a la luna pero sin saber leer.

Ficciones by Borges, of course

based Unamuno works and based Galdós works

>when they shit in the kid's bed
el buscon had none of the pleasures that lazarillo did. lazarillo is the true picaresque and the only.
anyone ever read guzman de alfarache?