Dostoevsky, senpai

Campana

Bukowski was okay imo. Not for what he said but for how he said it

For me:

Vonnegut
Pynchon

To a much lesser extent:

Nabokov.

none of them, because i never was a pleb.

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

you've liked an author you no longer like?

>inb4 Kafka

nah bro. i've never stopped loving an author because none of the authors i
love have ever turned out to be clown ass hacks.

are you under 20?

What is this Dostoevsky is shit meme and why is it happening

almost 30, actually. must be difficult being such a pleb that your insecurities bleed onto others due to your disbelief in the possibility that they haven't suffered in the plebdom you have.

I find it curious that you're tastes haven't shifted in two decades of reading.

aka I've had zero development of my literary tastes

i am an old soul and a double virgo. i don't twist in the wind.

who are you're three favourite writers?

who were they at 20?

fair enough

what virgo?

i'm sag, libra moon and virgo rising - same as Jane Austen and Jospeh Stalin

can't fix what aint broke, yo.

o.k.

>wanting to posture on an anonymous image board
kys fag

Kek yeah we can tell you haven't matured much

I didn't expect to meet with such resistance. such bitter bastards. the lot of you.

i'm not bitter. i was looking for a conversation

>be user
>still read Dr. Seuss and R.L. Stine
>"muh developed tastes"

>"haha im so cool guys, ive never read any book besides the coolest books guys"

>he thinks suess was a clown ass hack
>he read R L stine and not only that, loved it
looks like we started off on different spectrums lad!

Is Kafka overrated?

stfu newfag

i am pretty neat, aren't I? thanks.

I would say no, he gets just the right amount of attention

No

newfag? naw. you're just embittered by your time here and probably don't spend any time doing outside activities and having sex, or hanging out with friends!

HST for sure.

Loved his first 3 books or so, even got a fucking HST tattoo. Then realized that all his work after that is pure garbage.

>implying loving an author as a kid is wrong

what authors do you like?

>implying loving stine is right
you missed the point there, friend.

>having sex
"look at me guys, im having all the sex! aren't I so cool?"

Leopoldo Marechal, Guido Morselli and Alessandro Manzoni

lol

>being this much of a pseud

disappointing

i've not heard of two of those

I still love him for Fight Club.
But after reading a lot of his other novels, I think, he most probably did't understand his first book himself. His works just became industrial products.

I've always found his books (after reading Fight Club), a bit too much in the same style and vain as his earlier work.

Houllebecq

nope, but a lot of the secondary lit on him is terrible

I've not read any of these, but are they seriously better than Tolstoy, Joyce, Woolf, Kafka, Proust, Beckett?

Not all user, not all.

No, I wasn't him and I was memeing.
>He hasn't read Manzoni
What the fuck are you doing user

Peterson likes him, a lot.

>Peterson likes him

another reason to avoid him then

>what are you doing

A mix of drinking, writing, shitposting, watching crap on youtube and reading other people. Oh and working.

Peterson likes Nietzsche and Jung. He's got good taste.

beckett, melville, and dante so far. i've read many of the typical authors but those are the only ones i have "loved".

Good choices. I concur.

>all the people who thought that was me
heh.

>the malicious words of a bitter and sexless fool
stop pretending that sex isn't cool and delightful in moderation and with someone you love.

i love that people took up my mantle. never change, Veeky Forums, and never stop pushing for that ideal of being a patrician. all that resistance is the cancer now infesting your board. the more breath you give to seeking that providence of patricianity, the less air left for the echoes of plebs.

>the more breath you give to seeking that providence of patricianity, the less air left for the echoes of plebs.

is cicero disappointed there or did it remind you in some way of him? i can't tell.

sun and moon, i think slothrop was a double virgo as well.

huh, apparently Tolstoy was a sun and moon virgo.

DFW, of course. Everything he writes is suffocating in his prolixity and ratiocination. Grammar and logic of a diseased mind, terrible air of teacher's petness. Was once awed by his command of language and his clear seriousness of intent. I admire high seriousness much less now.

Margaret Atwood. Her writing is paint-by-the-numbers impressionistic realism dressing up cliches that have been altered just enough not to be clichs, but I used to think it was "lyrical" like all the reviewers and that her stories were good.

Hunter S. Thompson. He has three or four genuinely good essays, Fear and Loathing is a decent comic novel, but everything else is all style and no substance, and often more pose than style. Used to think he was the no-bullshit man. He is a statue made of bullshit.

Similiarly, Bukowski. Embarrassed I ever liked his poetry. Coolness and culture for people without either. Was a teenager. Think he is essentially for teenagers.

Adulous Huxley. Ayn Rand for mushroom users. Dusty Edwardian suit.

Virginia Woolf. Genuine master of style and of a certain kind of psychological penetration but with absolutely no sense of how context affects character. Work is always missing something essential because of this. Compare to Tolstoy. Also a snob, cribbed everything from Joyce and dressed him down.

Graham Greene. Frigid as a corpse.

This pends your rising sign, if it's Cancer or Pisces youre fucked. Virgo's the worker bee of the Zodiac, given the strongest propensity to mid-life crises without the tools to handle them (from either working, or perhaps playing, so hard).

Almost senpai.

>Bukowski was okay imo. Not for how he said it, but why he said it

lemme check.

pisces ascending. whatsat mean?

desu baka

DESU. Tbh

cuck

For me, it's the Ambrose Bierce.
I used to feel so superior to Twain fans.

Graham Greene was only ever popular because of a Catholic boosterism and The Quiet American being a good way to tastefully opposition to the Vietnam War.

Clancy. I used to read him a lot as a lad

Eh, I see a certain kind of depressed seriousness being taken as the highest form of literary aspiration as being one of the reasons, too. His most lauded books, The Power and the Glory, The End of the Affair, etc, are all examples of this.

That was certainly my mistake with him. He's intelligent, but strong intelligence isn't enough to make greatness in literature for me anymore. There needs to be some of, to risk being sentimental, the heart in it.

I'm much more impressed by his master, Conrad.

Basically attacked by jews and other anti-christian types when they discovered he was a huge anti-semite.

Are Nabokov's criticisms just or extreme?

Yes. Nabokov is an extreme "writing for writing's sake" writer, and Dostoevsky writes for philosophical reasons. Furthermore, Nabokov is a stylist, a very dedicated stylist, and Dostoevsky isn't. Their aims and means are both diametrically opposed.

Nabokov's criticisms are actually right and just if you accept all his presuppositions about the purposes of literature, which aren't shared by everyone. Look into his courses and criticism and see what you think. Then look into W.M Spackman's criticism and his recs if you like Nabokov's positions

fuck him, after reading Fight Club I got coaxed into buying for other books by him in a bulk and it was all shit

PKD
David Foster Wallace
Burroughs (or any of those fucking "drug' authors that somehow get a free literary genius title)
Anne Frank

Jim Butcher. Loved urban fantasy when I was just starting to get into reading, but I tried re-reading some of the Dresden Files and I could barely stomach most of the humor.

Beat lit naked lunch thread
Salinger thread
All sci-fi horror thread
Dfw thread

I still love him, I’m a pretty fucking stupid, but this broke asshole speaks to me.

I slightly agree with you. I'd say he got lazy for sure but Curse of Lono was really good and probably his end. Everything after 1983 are just older writings that he put together and sold which aren't necessarily bad. Better than sex was more of a scrap book. His letter books are some of my favorite but like I said were all created before he lost the special touch and will to write. Kingdom of Fear is good even though it's a tell all and was only another money grab to push back the increasing debt he accumulated because of irresponsible spending.

uGh fuck off you god damn nerd

also bukowski is bad but the only poet of his era who didn't hide behind bullshit to totally obfuscate his fucking point 99% of the time, which is why he was successful.