Read book

>Read book
>One month later remember nothing

What is the point in this? Am I gaining anything from this?

read it again, discuss, write about it. Eventually you’ll remember everything that is worth remembering

It took me a long time, too long, to realize that reading a book once doesn't count as "reading the book".

Yes. I've wondered if reading the book a second time will help stuff stick. Although I may have difficulty recalling a lot of the book after a first read, perhaps I will realise how much I have retained in the mind with a second read as I re-discover things I already know.

I've found out that making a brief mental summary after every chapter helps immensely

Now you have got to be kidding me. I honestly cannot believe I am reading this.

What do you do when you read non-fiction? Do you even attempt to ruminate on what you've read throughout the day? Do you even attempt to discuss the material on here or reddit or lesswrong or in a bookclub or among friends?

Finally, do you at least attempt to SUMMARIZE THE BOOK in your OWN WORDS after you read it? That is the LEAST you should do, because it shows that you've comprehended what you've just read. If you can't do that after reading a book, you've lost the point of reading books.

>reading a book once doesn't count as "reading the book"
It does if you have a working memory.

Do you believe in a subconscious? Because hopefully that part of you is absorbing what your eyes are looking at.

>Do you even attempt to discuss the material on here

lol

>tfw have a decent attention span and can remember books pretty clearly after one reading
Threads like this make me feel like I have superpowers tbphwy

Its about the journey, not the destination

>tfw no working memory

You guys still don't understand.

elaborate...

>read book
>forget most of it after reading the next book

How about this?

I'll read the book and then remember entire words and phrases within that book. What you've got to do is actually pay closer attention.

Books are an insight into the human mind, they are not to be taken lightly.

This is a big deal because you don't want to waste your life, you want it to mean something. You want these hours spent reading to mean something, friend, trust me.

Discuss, criticize the work and review. Hopefully you will remember more but the best way is to read it cover to cover more than once.

>Am I gaining anything from this?
are you reading fiction? if no then yes.

You are not elaborating it's contents. Read reviews after you finish the book and look for opportunities to draw ideas from the book when discussing things IRL.

i've read books three times and don't remember anything. what now?!

lmao.

Pic sauce?

is thia satire making fund of enlighted yoga moms, or do you actually write like this?

>read thousands of books
>remember every book
>die

What is the point in this?

>live a day
>one month later remember nothing

What is the point in this? Am i gaining anything from this?

yeah user, i go on reddit to discuss books i've finished.

I get the idea that if you read a book again you get more from it, of course. But personally I'd rather read something new. And the idea of completely forgetting a book I've read sounds like a legitimate brain problem to me- I'm pretty confident I have decent recall of all the books I've read, except perhaps a few of the most boing.

You have to read it more than once and engage with it some manner outside of simply reading retard.

That's not due to your attention span, it's due to your memory. A high attention span allows you to sit and focus and read for a long period of time, but if you do that and you have a bad memory, you'll still forget it.

twitter might be more your speed

I know- I just mean that as another example of a problem people post about that I have never experienced. Feels like superpowers.

Seriously, though, how many people on here have goldfish memories? Shit seems weird to me.

write in the margins, take notes

That's what I do and I retain the important stuff

you have bigger problems than the books m8

Yeah, it's not fun. I'm only a few years out of high school and I've already forgotten most of it. Maybe that's common, though, idk

Grow up

arrogant cunt 101

>eat breakfast
>1 day later remember nothing
Why eat food?

take notes

or just read it again

>>thinks reading books is about remembering
reading a book is about the being in the moment being fully engaged in the story, that's why we read.
it's the patrician's meditation.

I have this problem, or at least fear it, with a lot of things, not just books. To the point that I reread or rewatch something three times just to remember it.
I do not recommend it at all and am trying to kill this habit.

Do you literally remember nothing from a book? Most people's memories are selective and you will inevitably forget more than 50% of a movie, book, class, conversation, just about anything really, after a long enough period of time. I would say you should take comfort in knowing that you probably just remember the more important parts (or at least more important to your own life) and move on. If you find that you don't remember a book too well but it lingers in your mind for a sufficiently long time then reread it. You'll catch things you remember and new things.

Sorry m80, just telling it how it is. Would be interesting to know if my memory is unusual- I always assumed it was pretty standard.