What the fuck was Edith's problem?

What the fuck was Edith's problem?

She had a lot of mental problems, probably depressed and/or schizophrenic and definitely had post partum depression.

Did you not actually read the book or are you just as autistic as Stoner?

This, because her father had molested her when she was a child.

Fill me in on the apparent Affair Edith had.
I assumed she would always have one but it was never clearly pointed out desu.

I thought he was going to get cucked by that annoying cripple

Same.
Thought it was actually gonna have a hilarious part to it, but no....

I was hoping for some finch on stoner hot steamy action.

emotionally repressed, married to a man she didn't know at a young age

I thought she was sleeping with Lomax because of the long kiss at the party and that she was somehow always aware of Stoner's personal issues. I'm not sure if this was intended or I read too much into it.

Is there any evidence of this in the text?

I am not sure if i remeber correctly but was stoner kinda content with seeing another man kiss his woman?

She was emotionally stunted and depressed.
She should've never agreed to marry Stoner, seeing as she never loved him and was probably incapable of reciprocating Stoner's feelings at the time they married. It's abundantly clear she had her child as a kind of coping mechanism but then was also incapable of caring or loving the child. Her parents should have stopped the marriage.

It's partly Stoner's fault, as maybe he should've recognized how inexperienced he was, and not have rushed into marriage. He already recognized his inexperience in many other areas, and partially recognized how unfit he was for real life as per what Dave Masters' told him.

Nah he said it was that the kiss didnt seem anything absurd to him jsut as if it were the most normal thing and nothing to be thought of it.
>I thought she was sleeping with Lomax
She would have thrown that in Stoners face if that were true.

Didn't read the book, pls no bully /lit. Just wanted to pose a question based on what I understand of the plot. How the fuck would this guy, cucked as he apparently is, be able to become a top-tier professor? It's pretty well known that you need some sort of masculinity to reach the highest levels of science b/c it involves will to power in terms of molding paradigms.

Your post is very stupid.
But apart from that stupidity, Stoner only rises to the rank of assistant professor and he teaches English, not science.

I don't remember this specifically, but I'll offer up that stoner seemed "kinda content" with pretty much everything. Inside he may have been upset, but holy shit he did not fight for himself, like ever.

Also the his failure to progress as a professor is a major theme of his impotence and inability to assert himself.

The evidence people point to is the father's suicide, her detached and repressed nature wrt sex, and trying to keep the child away from Stoner (fear he might act as her father had).

Didn't she become distant and cold literally immediately, during the honeymoon? I thought the dad killed himself much later but I could be misremembering.

Dad did kill himself later. More that she was sexually abused in some form and that manifested when it came time to consummate their marriage.

I see that suggested a lot on lit but haven't seen passages to back it up. I'm not totally convinced but it's a decent inference and frankly I have no alternative to suggest to explain her bitchiness.

Wasn't he offered one of the highest positions but declined, leaving Lomax to claim the spot?

He didnt want to rise any higher.
The fuck you talking about?

It's been a minute since I read it, but from memory I always thought of him as blocked from advancement by his failure to go to war (Finch) or Lomax's opposition.

>needing to explain why a women is a crazy cunt

I feel much the same. IN particular I enjoy this reading for the very reason it makes Edith sympathetic. Otherwise she seems unlike any of the other characters who have an explanation for their faults.

Are you forgetting when he tried to have the disabled kid removed from the college? He knew that it was all in vain as Lomax was in the higher position, empathized and related to the disabled kid, and was spiteful of Stoner for making himself vulnerable to him (when they were drunk), unmasking his cold-ironic personality.

I remember her mother saying something about "Edith was closer to her father than she led on"

Along the same lines as Walker's ambiguous relationship to Holly

The kid was a trash student.