youtube.com/user/thechesswebsite/featured
chesscademy.com/
lichess.org/
lichess.org/rVeGdlUW
cesr.ua.edu/chess-studies-summary/
strawpoll.me/14815073
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

not Veeky Forums sage

Lasker's classic, if youre just beginning. By 'resources' (you) mean books, right?

I've heard good things about Jeremy Silman's books if you know most of the beginner stuff.

Probably the best thread on Veeky Forums right now

Just beginning? Take a free course on chess.com to learn what pieces go where etc. move along from there. Intermediate? Renaud's The Art of The Checkmate is the first book you should read. Although it's classical notation so it will take a bit longer than usual. After this Silman's Complete Endgame Course will take you far.

You see chess is correctly learnt backwards. Endgame-middlegame-opening. The goal of chess is to capture the opponents king. This can only be achieved by having a plan for the future ahead and carrying it out in the quickest and most efficient way possible.

youtube.com/user/thechesswebsite/featured
This guys channel is really good if you know nothing about chess. The problem with a lot of youtube content is that it is aimed at people who are already fairly good it at. This guy is aimed at the just starting audience.

Study old games played by grandmasters and you will do well

This isn't good advice if you know nothing about the game. It's like saying just analyze the works of the great composers even though you don't know any music theory. You need to understand the game to a reasonable degree before the masters become useful at all.

This is precisely what I did knowing nothing about Chess and 20,000 games later I am happy to see the fruit from the seeds I planted.

A chess board

Not recent trash like logical chess, all that is shit and tasteless. That is, it's American. Go for Pachman's books and do tactics online

Salty ass thread... sorry OP. Your best bet is to train with someone who's a lot better than you. That sweet feeling of beating them for the first time is its own special experience.

Try this site:
chesscademy.com/

I'd rather have a cavity on my chest than go to a site with a name like that.

Kek, no but seriously the site is great. They got lot's of interactive tutorials going over the basics, opening moves and advanced stuff. The site is familiar with codecademy, I think that's why they gave it that name.

Regular player here.
Literature is not recommended until you hit a certain level, reason being that after learning the rules, there's not much that makes sense to learn without having thousands of game played.
I recommend lichess.org/ it also has a section that teaches you the basics (useful if you might not have it 100%)

Try to play regularly in standard matches, don't go into the funky variations at first, and literally just play. Try to be conscious about what you do though.
Try to repeat things over and over, like always opening the same way, and so on, over time you'll find regular patterns in play and it won't seem as chaotic as it may look.
Once you reach around 1500 or so (it's the number that shows for each player, it's something called Elo rating) you can consider yourself somewhat apt and could start delving into literature, but it will take some time.

For literature, there's a ton, usually people will first read on openings of a certain side. Common plays are part of chess literature, but are considered more of a trivia thing rather than hard lit because playstyle has evolved fast over the years. That said, even if playstyle changes, chess matrices/paths/maps show up very regularly and can be worth reading on some common ones... but imo by playing regularly each players develops them naturally, you end up playing not by piece but by groupings and so on, hence why fast chess variations are popular with skilled players.

In the end the best way to learn is to play with someone better than you and pay attention to what you do and what the other does. With today's technology it's even better because you can save the play history of each game and re-read it to see what could have been avoided and so on.

Only someone bad at chess could be this boring.

this
stop samefagging. OP

Chess is pretentious

Not all Chess is the same.

There is honorable play in Chess and dirty play in Chess. Chess allows you to speak your own language to anyone anywhere.

how would you define dirty play in chess

Kill the guys family.

You wish, faggot

karpov v korchnoi 1978

a great site is lichess.org
it has some few endgame puzzles to help you, but in terms of learning it, i would suggest going to new york and finding yourself a tutor.

I used to play chess but I eventually got pissed off. Just playing is possible to get an 1500-1700 elo. But to achieve substantial improvement after that is needed to invest great amounts of time and work. I have also to talk about the pretty bad chess.com comunity: a bunch of philippines and old mans that will let the clock running when they start to lose (without mention the cheaters and the flamers) .

>The fucking yogurts

Fucking hate this. I quit chess.com because I kept losing won games because the opponent would let the clock run for 25 minutes, I switch tabs for 40 seconds and I lose. Fuck chess.com. lichess.org is where it's at.

me only play checkers

Candy Crush is more complex than Chess.

I love this game. I have never gone beyond 1400/1500 on chess.com .
Am I a turbo-brainlet?

I agree with this mostly. Although if someone is incredibly dedicated to chess then literature can be read very soon. Fischer began reading chess lit very soon and took off even more around age 13. When your knowledge of theory goes deep you can focus the most amount of brain power on the more difficult times in chess.

Why do you not like " logical chess move by move"?
I have to admit I haven't read beyond the first game in that book. It seems decent enough.
What does pachmans book have that this doesn't ?

a soul. The soul of Pachman and other eastern european books is old jews and old russians playing together in a tavern somewhere in Belarus or Lithuania with vodka saying na zdrovia and lechaim to each other in true brotherhood. This is the soul of Tal and Alekhine and Nimzowitsch. The 'soul' of logical chess is some stupid kids in a chess club in downtown San Jose playing chess with a tank top on a plastic board. It's the 'soul' of Carlsen. get what i'm saying?

totally doable

I've been reading the Complete Guide by Fred Renfield and it seems good. I'm still a beginner but I think the biggest thing that helped me was going out and buying a physical board so I can actually interact with the pieces and work through the examples in the book.

How does the Elo rating on Lucas chess compare to the ratings on websites like Lichess? I ask this because I mostly play offline and I regularly lose to the 1101 computer but when I go online I'll beat guys that are like 1600.

as someone who doesnt profess to know much/anything about the game:
play a lot of games, look up basic strategies (such as strong pawn formations) and incorporate them. Once you have decent game sense, start studying openings. then branch out into more advanced topics.

How do you all feel about playing against the computer? A lot to be learned from it, or does it stifle and discourage good play?

Nimzo's My System and Chess Praxis, then Shereshevsky's Endgame Strategy when you've got a solid foundation to work on

I can't think of any reason why it could be a detriment.

It has historical games though.

Aren't these a little advanced?

There's a good guide on Reddit.

1200-1400

1) Chess Tactics for Students by John Bain
2) Logical Chess Move by Move by Irving Chernev
3) Back to Basics: Tactics (ChessCafe Back to Basics Chess) by Dan Heisman
4) Winning Chess Tactics, revised (Winning Chess – Everyman Chess) by Seirawan
5) Silman’s Complete Endgame Course by Jeremy Silman
6) A First Book of Morphy by Del Rosario
7a) Chess Openings for White, Explained by Lev Alburt, Roman Dzindzichashvili, Eugene Perelshteyn
7b) Chess Openings for Black, Explained by Lev Alburt, Roman Dzindzichashvili, Eugene Perelshteyn
8) 1001 Tactics Time! From the Games of Everyday Chess Players by Tim Brennan
and Anthea Carson
9) Build Up Your Chess 1: The Fundamentals, Boost Your Chess 1: The Fundamentals, Chess Evolution 1: The Fundamentals by Artur Yusupov

1400-1600

1) Modern Chess Strategy by Ludek Pachman
2) The Most Instructive Games of Chess Ever Played by Irving Chernev
3) Chess Training Pocket Book by Lev alburt
4) Chess Exam and Training Guide by Igor Khelmenitsky
5) Best Lessons of a Chess Coach by Weeramantry & Eusebi

1600-1700

1) The Amateur’s Mind by J. Silman
2) My Best Games of Chess, 1908 - 1937 by Alexander Alekhine
3) Practical Chess Exercises by Ray Cheng
4) Capablanca’s Best Chess Endings by Irving Chernev
5) Chess Praxis by Aron Nimzowitsch

1700-1800

1) Art of Attack in Chess by Victor Vukovic
2) My 60 Memorable Games by Bobby Fischer
3) One Hundred Selected Games by Botvinnik
4) Understanding Chess Move by Move by Nunn
5) Build Up Your Chess 2: Beyond the Basics, Boost Your Chess 2: Beyond the Basics, Chess Evolution 2: Beyond the Basics by Artur Yusupov

1800-2000

1) How to Reassess Your Chess by J. Silman
2) Fire On Board by Alexei Shirov
3) Fundamental Chess Endings by Mueller
4) Improve your Chess Now by Johnathan Tisdall
5) Dvoretsky’s Analytical Manual by Dvoretsky
6) Chess Strategy for Club Players by Grooten
7) Zurich International Chess Tournament, 1953 by David Bronstein
8) Dvoretsky’s Endgame Manual by Dvoretsky
9) My System by Nimzowitsch
10) Think Like a Grandmaster by Kotov
11) Build Up Your Chess 3: Mastery, Boost Your Chess 3: Mastery, Chess Evolution 3: Mastery by Artur Yusupov

2000 and beyond

1) Secrets of Chess Training by Dvoretsky & Yusupov
2) Secrets of Positional Play by Dvoretsky & Yusupov
3) Chess Lessons by Popov
4) Grandmaster Preparation: Strategic Play by Aagaard

lichess.org/rVeGdlUW

You're never too novice or advanced for My System as far as I'm concerned. It's a great universal book that teaches solid fundamentals. Even the masters go back to it and find inspiration.

just play

sage

wow really no one wants to fucking play me?
come someone for an ass kicking im 2k lichess blitz rating

Countersage

In theory it seems like it could be a good training method but in reality it's incredibly discouraging when you think about playing a computer. If you ever want to beat it, you must put it at an elo lower and really all it is doing is programming itself to make more inaccuracies to account for the lower elo. Then if you play it at a higher elo its virtually unbeatable and you can't even imagine it making a mistake or liken it to a human. Best used for analysis of human games.

>lichess.org/rVeGdlUW
lets play bb

I did most of the exercises and still suck at chess. The only useful section of this book is the one on opening theory, which is, besides being outdated, still reasonably sane I suppose.
The other parts of the book are basically just lichess tier puzzles and the most common endgames. Not really worth it, the obvious errors are annoying, too, that might be just my edition, though.

you should of learned in 5th or 6th grade. did you not have a father?

>should of
>"everyone's life experiences are the same as mine"
you're the Tommy Wiseau of bait makers, especially considering you're probably from some Eastern European country

What benefits will being decent at chess give me? I know it's ultimately just a game, but it has this sort of mystique around it, some kind of underlying respect. Actually, are there any books that go in depth as to why chess is regarded so highly?

Regular play will increase your IQ

cesr.ua.edu/chess-studies-summary/

this thread made me start playing on lichess
havent played in years and im getting fucking bodied
man i havent felt this retarded in a long time

>During the 1995-1996 school year, two classrooms were selected in each of five schools. Students (N = 112) were given instruction in chess and reasoning in one classroom in each school. Pupils in the chess program obtained significantly higher reading scores at the end of the year. It should be noted that while students in the chess group took chess lessons, the control group (N = 127) had additional classroom instruction in basic education. The control group teacher was free to use the “chess period” any way he/she wanted, but the period was usually used for reading, math or social studies instruction. The control groups thus had more reading instruction than the chess groups. [Stuart Margulies, “The Effect of Chess on Reading Scores,” 1996]

This one in particular is crazy. Why don't schools focus more on chess? I would make it mandatory if it consistently helped students like that.

Just play more faggot
>the virgin sage
>the chad bump

I think it was Magnus Carlson who said it was almost pointless to study openings until you're in the 2000+ range and to just focus on principles and tactics.

Playing chess makes you good at playing chess OP. Chess intelligence is non-transferable.

How do you explain these studies that say the exact opposite?

Chess is studied because of its popularity, but I wonder how it would compare to Go or even video games or infinite chess.

I used to want to learn how to play chess.

But then, after some growing up and introspection, I realised I liked the idea of being a chess player more than I like the game.

Since you're posting on a literature board about chess, I guess you're more concerned with the "literary lifestyle" than you are with either literature or chess.

I suggest you too grow up.

Because public policy doesn't work like that. Who the fuck is going to push through legislation making students have a mandatory chess class? It will never ever happen even if the results were even more impressive. You also cant trust results from social """""scientists""""", these pilot programs are full of shit. The control group probably had some substitute teacher handing out worksheets then taking a nap. Meanwhile for the experimental group(probably full off students who self selected, you cant trust these clowns to do anything right) they no doubt brought in people who were serious about teaching.

Does growing up mean becoming really jaded or is there some cognitive bias im missing here

>wanting to do things
>doing the things you want to do
Just grow up kiddo. Get a job and a wife you hate, come home everyday and watch tv until you fall asleep, this is how real adults live. Stop being so immature.

By growing up I mean that through introspection you should start to recognise things that will inevitably be only be passing interests in your life, and through introspection identify what will truly be your lifelong interests so you can devote your time to those instead.

For the average person in their late teens or early twenties asking about where to start playing chess on a cambodian bushwhacking corkboard that means chess is likely one of those fleeting interests.

An uncle or unusually boring neighbor

chess?
this is lit fuck off

>requests books on lit
>"not lit fuck of fag"

>You can't ask for help otherwise you aren't truly committed to something
>even if you aren't you aren't allowed to have hobbies
Maybe you should grow up.

A loving Grandad like mine who never let me win but always said I would.

Can't dilettantism be a lifelong interest?

mate what ever works. crush your opponent smother him, or catch him with exteam precision. whatever works mate

I really love chess. Im not really good tho

Who in the ever loving fuck is asking for legislation? The post is about schools and teaching children so obviously "mandatory" is in respect to kids being forced to learn by those schools and teachers and not some fucking law passed by the government. God you're stupid and you should feel ashamed.

What if people just want to learn chess because it looks fun? Don't assume everybody is autistic like you and are only doing things because they want to look cool..

I don't think it's worth it to "study" chess. You'll get the best results this way but it will be less fun. Just play and figure things out for yourself for a while. This will probably be more interesting and rewarding than reading about openings and strategy.

I completely disagree with this guy. If you enjoy chess I really don't see how you wouldn't also enjoy the study. That's not to say you have to take it to some Russian chess academy level but if the idea of looking at any strategy at all doesn't sound like fun I don't think chess is a game you will like much.

Watch Mato Jelic's YouTube videos.

these could be dances..

Aren't the games between AlphaZero and Stockfish of a higher calibre?

Then get gud

strawpoll.me/14815073