What am I in for, laddies?

What am I in for, laddies?

I heard it's good. Never read it.

>female translation
Hooooo boy

Two books for the price of one

It's really good but be careful of who translates it. Certain translators are worse then others and ruins the zest of the book.

Should I have gotten the B&N 50th anniversary edition instead?

Oh that's Clever. No go look up the multiple translators that have done this book.

Thinking about it, if you weren't being a smart ass I'd say go do some research I did a little before I bought it just so I didn't get a shitty version.

Why is this clever smartassery? They're the only two copies I've been able to find locally. And I was mistaken--it wasn't Barnes and Noble but Penguin, which I know is a meme here but I don't see why they shouldn't be able to muster up a decent translation.

Suprisingly episodic masterpiece

holy shit you miserable asshole help or fuck off. Thats a perfectly fine translation OP and it was often cited as the best when I looked into it. I loved it! That translation specifically.

The penguin one is fine, P&V are generally considered trash, but their translation of M&M seems acceptable

One of my absolute favorites. I don't think I've ever laughed out loud at a book before this one.

>a fucking cat
This book is hilarious to be honest. It has a lot of cool imagery, and the ending is surprisingly heartwarming; I felt the inner peace.

Heavy handed allegories

you got the right translation
you can read the book in an afternoon. not incredibly deep, but enjoyable.

It's pretty good. Kind of uneven for me, some parts were way more compelling.

I've seen many people on Veeky Forums heap praise on it and put it in their all time favourite shortlists but desu every single Russian ""masterpiece"" I've read that preceded it was much much better.

this

also
the book is pretty damn entertaining for having been written ~100 years ago

that being said, it was written as a reaction to the russian revolution, so expect a whole lot of satire at the expense of the commies

you here, however, are litscum so i'm sure you'll like that kind of thing

Yea my bad. Wasn't trying to be a dick. Left a different discussion where I was arguing. Jumped really fast thinking it was an insult. Was just trying to warn against getting a bad translation. I got the 50th anniversary translation and it is pretty good. One of my favorite Russian novels so far.

>you here, however, are litscum so i'm sure you'll like that kind of thing
And it's pretty clear you're not.

>P&V are generally considered trash
Only in your circle jerk

>in an afternoon
Yeah maybe if you skim every page or read without understanding what you're reading

>the book is pretty damn entertaining for having been written ~100 years ago
>implying literature 100 years ago wasn't significantly more entertaining than anything written today

>you can read the book in an afternoon. not incredibly deep, but enjoyable.
What the fuck, this is completely incorrect

It's actually quite the opposite. PV are generally considered very good, especially for their dosto/tolstoy translations. On the other hand, their translation of m&m is lacking; they just don't bring out the comedic character of Bulgakov's writing in the same way as other translations have done.

The P&V Dosto translations are dreadfully flat. Garnett is superior.

I know that Ginsburg and Glenny's translations are based on incomplete manuscripts, so I'd prefer not to read them, bu then what remains?

I'd prefer not to read a P&V translation, for what it's worth

No, they write in their own voice, and nothing out of dosty is able to shine through.