Is Veeky Forums's Veeky Forums the dawn of a new literary movement...

is Veeky Forums's Veeky Forums the dawn of a new literary movement? unironically i think we are doing something very powerful and real by meeting here in a virtual space discussing that which permeates our lives, namely the internet, anime, literature, and the follies of late-capitalist life.

i propose the name "anonymous realism."

Other urls found in this thread:

wakaba.c3.cx/shii/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Read the History of Totalitarianism in a Tundra and find out.

anonymous realism cannot be printed. it can only be experienced here, live, in posts that are deleted after a few days.

So it's actually akin to literary salon from the ancient regime. Nothing new under the sun in term of quality.

there is no sun that shines here, friend

I'll definitely say that, as a writer, Veeky Forums has had a strong influence on my writing by introducing me to writers I wouldn't have known about otherwise. I'm also a bit of an autist, so Veeky Forums has helped me come to grips with more sophisticated forms of irony.

Been coming here for 6 years. People have asked this time and time again. The truth is Veeky Forums is not on the edge of literary development. It is stuck in permanent stasis. Thoughts remain in their infancy forever due to the anonymity. No one has to account for anything they have done or say they will do. I don't know if this is because people leave and Veeky Forums is just a phase or the same people are really shitposting about the same stuff for six fucking years.

Either way, this is a sad place. Every should grow up and leave.

>the ancient regime
>ancient
lol

I just had the weirdest dream.

What was it about?

Anonymous chainletters
Forum stories
Forum novels

Anaymous realism implies a degree of truth in the writing. But all these "Veeky Forums" style books, as you call it, cannot have sources checked or their content verified.

Maybe anonymous sincerity since the truth of the prose comes more from its feels as opposed to any concerete form of correspondance to reality.

drug terrorists.
a small highly toxic flower.
men in suits

I have a feeling that Veeky Forums is the bubbling culdron of ideas. And then after so many threads of the same idea it gets turned into a subreddit or a discord channel.

I disagree. I have seen collective understanding change and shift through time.

This place is definitely more intellectual than it used to be, man. Also, it's full of people who don't bother mentioning this or complaining too much about the culture because we realize the futility of it.

So yeah. Stop that

>late capitalist life

Die you fucking /mu/fag that always wants to be a "part of something". Muh vaporwave...
All self-conscious literary movements... nothing but trash... means absolutely nothing to me.
Yes Veeky Forums is interesting and probably influential or whatever, but if you try to capture it in a bottle like with some "aesthetics" bullshit you kill it. Just the fact you've been browsing this shithole for 10 years is enough. Let the future literary critics figure it all out. Now fuck off and start writing.

I’ve been popping in an out ofnhere for years and little if anything has changed, this place is by no means on the cutting edge of anything. Actually I’d say the average taste here has gotten more narrow and tighter around a small traditional canon.

The only new developments here are just the misogyny and racism. Years ago you could talk about Brontë, Woolf, Rushdie, or whatever, and not have the thread be flooded in shit about women not being able to write, or posting that fucking “culture of critique”.

Now there are more threads on reactionary, fascist or antisemitic topics than on novels. Many of the serious lit people left here ages ago.

I can tell you 15 Facebook groups which I see routinely have far more interesting, and importantly, learned discussions on the late Capitalist condition. Fuck, I have comment threads regularly with the guy in charge of Zero Books, and people talk about Deleuze, Lacan and actual books, god this place has gone to shit.

This place has unironically influenced my views on literature and even life itself. Is this good?
Sometimes there are very insightful posts though the majory of cases this is just an edgy circlejerk. The site is filled with underground mans (reee normieess get ouuttt) praising their own misery.

How do I find these groups

>he actually thinks one single faggot posting Culture of Critique somehow prevents him from having a discussion
Functions as a filter for the kind of people that spend time in Facebook groups (and more than 15, Christ!), 90% of which is probably just black twitter imitating Zizek memes.

The only reason people don't talk about Rushdie is because he hasn't done anything. Woolf is discussed regularly - Woolf is a perennial topic of discussion, in fact, unlike Bronte or Rushdie. Middlebrow dullard. There's probably been more laudatory discussion of Jewish writers now than there ever has before.

>Facebook groups

even worse than reddit

Me too. Since coming here I've read massive amounts of greek philosophers, Infinite Jest, and am currently reading The Pale King. On my own I'd probably still be reading genre fiction.

wakaba.c3.cx/shii/

>Anonymity counters vanity. On a forum where registration is required, or even where people give themselves names, a clique is developed of the elite users, and posts deal as much with who you are as what you are posting. On an anonymous forum, if you can't tell who posts what, logic will overrule vanity. As Hiroyuki, the administrator of 2ch, writes:

>If there is a user ID attached to a user, a discussion tends to become a criticizing game. On the other hand, under the anonymous system, even though your opinion/information is criticized, you don't know with whom to be upset. Also with a user ID, those who participate in the site for a long time tend to have authority, and it becomes difficult for a user to disagree with them. Under a perfectly anonymous system, you can say, "it's boring," if it is actually boring. All information is treated equally; only an accurate argument will work.

>just fuck off and write for no one
>future literary critics
noone reads you mong, its a dead medium

Seriously just fucking kill yourself and eat a dick you fuckign queer. Just fuck off with your bullshit you dont even make any dog damn fucking sense you gayfaggot butt sucking nigger!!!!!!!!!

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>>Anonymity counters vanity. On a forum where registration is required, or even where people give themselves names, a clique is developed of the elite users, and posts deal as much with who you are as what you are posting. On an anonymous forum, if you can't tell who posts what, logic will overrule vanity. As Hiroyuki, the administrator of 2ch, writes:
>>If there is a user ID attached to a user, a discussion tends to become a criticizing game. On the other hand, under the anonymous system, even though your opinion/information is criticized, you don't know with whom to be upset. Also with a user ID, those who participate in the site for a long time tend to have authority, and it becomes difficult for a user to disagree with them. Under a perfectly anonymous system, you can say, "it's boring," if it is actually boring. All information is treated equally; only an accurate argument will work.

This is true. However as you've seen, some guys here also use the anonymity to promote nonsensical political views and flood that garbage on every post.

I honestly think if there are any great writers in the next generation of writers they will have browsed lit

"I am, the son of a Pastor!"
>Toldja bro!

This is very in line with my experience. I found Veeky Forums at the start of the year, since I was done with /mu/, Veeky Forums and /g/. I was starting my final year of school, and initially the new topics seemed interesting. Various charts popped up over time(I’m talking about reading lists(which have disappeared in the past few months, did someone leave?)), and I actually felt like I was learning something about where ideas fit into a larger sequence.
After around three months I realised there was nothing new happening, and I tried to limit the threads I jumped into. CLG and “Plato is boring” threads were both lots of fun, and I tried my apologetics our in both(someone said “fair and reasonable” at one point). However, I realised that because I was going through a reasonable High School Philosophy course, and having been raised a mass attending Catholic, I realised that most of the specific ideas people challenged were thing I’d taken for granted as being true.
So, Veeky Forums isn’t a place to learn specific ideas. Although if you like apologetics, it’s a good way to understand basic counterarguments.
For larger narrative I mentioned earlier, Veeky Forums will give you most of that. One idea Veeky Forums struggles with, which you’ll need to accept, is that leftists rarely read anything written before Marx. Even Hegel believed in the family as a fundamental unit of society. Beyond that, the basic progression of ideas is conveyed fairly well in Veeky Forums‘s chatter.
In terms of fiction, Veeky Forums has shit taste. As a unit they all act like first year literature students, as individuals they have strong convictions on choices which are entirely random. Also, they haven’t read anything longer than 500 pages.
One thing which Veeky Forums is good for is asking college kids what they think of the majors. I’d already decided to do arts+science degrees, but reading people on here bitch about various things here gave me pretty solid reasons to pick CS/Philosophy+Classical Languages.

I decided to do the top 100 list last year after a thread along the lines of “where is this years reading list” blew up one morning. I was met with insane hostility. Every new poster which appeared was either 1) mad because this could attract Redditors, 2) positive, or 3) constructive. What that leaves out is the 3-5 cunts who would samefag 50% of the posts in a thread accusing me of being a false flag, or that I was letting the poll get elaborately rigged. This included at least one jannie, since the poll threads got removed thrice in a row(and banned my home ip for exactly the period of the poll), so I threw up a meta thread around when the one mod who moves things to Veeky Forums without an explanation, and it stopped. Every single thread would have the same posts accusing me of rigging the poll, with a strange obsession with naming everyone. Pic related is a great summary of how I, and presumably the other anons who did the polls, feel. I didn’t start until the 30th of December, next year will probably be even later.

Now that I’ve done a top 100(I was grossly unprepared for anything at that scale, and it was a worthwhile project for my school holidays) I’m pretty sure I’m done with Veeky Forums. It helped me get started with apologetics, refine my majors, and gave me a sense of progression of ideas. There are other groups I’ve taken similar lessons from which I’m done with too. I feel pretty confident that being here helped me develop intellectually, but I’m pretty sure I can’t go any further here either.

I think I'm done with Veeky Forums now. Goodbye.

It's not nearly as bad here as it is on the humanities board, every other thread is a nazi inspired bait thread. At least here the stormfaggers are readily identifiable as off topic. Actually enforcing the board topic would go a long way here.

i've been writing. i've written threads and shitposts and haikus. i've written copypastas and ripostes and uploaded anime women.

ugly things and surprising things and someitmes little wondrous things spill out at me constantly

You're using it the wrong way. I've asked the hivemind to source quotes and translate passages that in real life would be impossible to do. I've also found massive amounts of reading material, guides, and ebooks. The random user posts can be read the same way as character dialogue, you are made aware of an opinion, but not necessarily captivated by it.

If you want smarter answers ask smarter questions.

And when I insult you, it is only because I wish to insult myself. Now I see something I like in myself in your post, and I have only warm feelings for you. Best to you, user.

Jesus Christ, stop being so stuck up your own asshole. So many posters, all of a sudden, are like this. Nobody cares what your identity is on Veeky Forums. One of the great things this site has taught me is humility. You don't get to flout a status on this site, you're judged solely by the content you can produce in any given moment. You try your hardest to do something good, you appreciate the good done by others, and you mock those who don't measure up. That's the way of things. Reputation is for IRL.

>I found Veeky Forums at the start of the year
lol didnt take you very long to get sick of it

Have you seen this board?

Because the outcome of these polls is always as shocking as Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven winning the number one spot on Rolling Stone's Greatest Rock Songs.

I'm not him but I used to go to other chans' lit boards and this is surprisingly the best one. Book clubs are a no go. There's a stench of suppliance every time one of these importunate morons hands you their ego in signed paperback form. Writing isn't a requirement. The literary landscape would be improved if the vast majority of writers were to contract debilitating tendonitis. I for one prefer to be among those who enjoy literature rather than pollute it.

This whole place is degenerate but at least this board is smart

I skipped to the bottom where you said you were done with lit and goodbye. I'm never going to read the rest of your candyass post. I'm glad you're leaving.

are you suggesting that on the other communication platforms (facebook, twitter, tumblr) people aren't using their power and prestige to support nonsensical political views that flood garbage on every post? have you seen twitter recently?

Veeky Forums is a necessary zone of chaos to counteract the supremely rigid order that is the social media industrial complex. the racism and misogyny is unfortunate, though, i agree.

Goodbye user and good luck.

I think there's no better place on the internet to discuss literature and there's no better thing to discuss than literature.

I think growing up isn't so much leaving this place, as leaving the digital sphere as a whole.

Your brain is this big.

Light Novels are becoming more popular in Japan than manga.

For Veeky Forums to really produce something this would have to happen; but giving up your anonimity, even through jsut an animu profile pic, goes against what Veeky Forums is, so Veeky Forums users progression forward to more substantial discussions on at least other sites will never actually happen

You're 65 billion and a few millennia years too late
>65 million bc.

>The K/T-missile, Pregnant with the Entity, slants in. 16 clicks per second. Professor Barker recalls this moment catching the trajectory. He coaxes it across the Cataplexmap, through intricate cartographic dances, snakings, twistings. Scars and vectors slot-together. It sticks. Iridium stink of the Entity so strong it hisses. Tick iterations. Ticks, scratches, chitterings silt across the Outside. Barker senses its passage stroke him, nerve-tense as the distant twin, weaving through tatters of cored-out schizophrenia, in the habitation blister…

>Anaymous realism implies a degree of truth in the writing. But all these "Veeky Forums" style books, as you call it, cannot have sources checked or their content verified.
You are retarded, mate. Why don't you actually look up what realism means.