What's a word that you've been pronouncing wrong your whole life that you just recently learned the correct...

What's a word that you've been pronouncing wrong your whole life that you just recently learned the correct pronunciation of?

Harbinger, I used to think it was har-bringer

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2014/01/22/mischievous-mischievious/
bombardier.com/en/home.html
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Gauche

Vaj-abond
I will continue saying it like this because it sounds better to me. Although the only reason I think it sounds better is because it's what I've been doing, but I don't care. I also prefer ArCH-etype over Arketype, and finn-it instead of figh-nite.

I used to say "ay-us-thetic"
Pronounced Manichean as "Man-itch-ayun", instead of Manickeeun til the other day. I knew I was probably wrong but tried to insist on it and got BTFO.

God all that makes me sound like a fucking hick. I'm Australian.

I used to say cum-promise instead of calm-pro-mize

derisive.

is it dehr-ih-siv where the ih sounds like i in bit
or
dehr-ai-siv

Zizek, Lacan, Derrida, Deleuze

Probably Foucault and others as well

>finn-it
I'm cringing

fucking lit cunts use "Manichean" when they just mean "dualist" -- they never have any idea of the heresy the name derives from
eat shit Professor Helen Scott

And no, this was not meant for another thread.

I'm familiar with the heresy and I use it like that, problem ;)?

I pronounced nepotism as "knee-pot-ism

I used to call Mishima Mish (like fish) ima (im as in swim)

you might as well say "Zoroastrian"
god, what a superficial use of a word

For some reason I always thought that "mischievous" was pronounced "mis-chee-vee-us", which doesn't make sense at all given the spelling.

w-wait
how do you pronounce it?

what the fuck

Thought omnipotent was "omm nee' poh tent"

I think I've heard this pronunciation before

>"OP" is pronounced fa - git
And to think I've been saying it wrong all these years

This one hurts

Alright I realsie I've heard (and probably used) both actually and never give it more than just a little bit of thought. According to
blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2014/01/22/mischievous-mischievious/
mischievious is probably a colloquial alteration which has been recorded since the 1500s.

Segue = seh-goo

Shoegaze.

like Fugazi.

Shugazi.

>I used to say "ay-us-thetic"
I can't stop myself from doing this even though I pronounce the greek AE correctly otherwise

I thought you were just being mischievous for a second. What the hell. I've always thought it was pronounced like that

kek

Meesh-eema

I thought that "saith" was pronounced "say-eth"

I literally don't know how "ere" is supposed to be pronounced and I always transpose it with "before" anyway.

It's pronounced the same as "air"

I'm about to ere out whoever came up with this shit

oxymoron

Oks-im-eron

>bombadier

BOMB BAR DEE AYY

>user walks into record store
>"hey, where's the shugazi?"
>gets stared at and leaves

From what I understand, there are australian hicks

i used to pronounce Oedipus as Eddipus

Not that recently, but I used to think deceiver is spelled as "deciever".

But that is not the greek Ae, that is just how English happens to deal with this particular word. You dont berate yourself for pronouncing Caesar /ˈsi:.zɘ/ - in spite of the fact he would have pronounced it [caJ.ˈsaɾ] - because that's just how people normally pronounce it nowadays.

for some reason Veeky Forums rendered IPA for lax close mid front vowel as J...

>implying they wouldn't assume shugazi was actually a real genre and pretend like they know what it is

i before e except after C
I know there are some exceptions but it's a pretty good tool most of the time

i remember saying expasyl as ex-pays-el instead of ex-pa-sill.

I just found out about a month ago I say else like eltse and I feel fucking retarded. It's hard to say it correctly for some reason

too many to count, but some that i can recall offhand:

Hegel (used to pronounce it Hee-gel instead of Hay-gel)
adamant (a-DAM-unt instead of AD-uh-munt)
macabre (ma-cob-reh instead of ma-COB)
resevoir (reh-zeh-voy-ir instead of reh-zeh-vor)
Charlemagne (Charles-magne instead of Char-le-mayn)

It's reservoir

>recently
It was not a recent realization but it was embarrassing. I had been pronouncing fillet, with regards to solder joints, the same as it would be pronounced for fish fillet.

inevitably

always thought it was pronounced inevite-ably

anglos are pronouncing fucking everything wrong
zeus - soos
socrates - suck-rate-ees
übermensch - ubamensch

Bet you looked like a fag

Is that not right?

I know a lot of people who do this

My gf's whole family pronounce "second" as "seh-cunt".

'Grande', everytime I pronounce it as Me-Di-Um and I get corrected by the stupid cashier

Weary, dreary.
I still don't know how to pronounce it. It sounds awkward when I say wir-ry.
Does it rhyme with theory?
I can't figure out how to pronounce it.

Also, Socrates so crates, hippocrates hippo crates Nietzsche neetskeh (rhymes with may)

Cache. I even had to look it up, and I still got it wrong. Thought it was keych.

Fiery

Fear-ee

It's Ode-too-puss

Not recently, but I used to pronounce genre as jen-eer

zhi-ZEK
la-KAN
derri-da
de-LÜÜZ
fu-KOO

Not anything recent, but when I was a kid I pronounced yacht so it rhymed with hatchet.
E.g.: Yah-chit

it's clearly without the "L"
it does rhyme with theory

Mee-she-mah

I always pronounced academia as "ack-uh-day-mee-uh"

Fun fact: the word 'vegetarian' was only invented in the 19th century and previously to that plant-based diets were called "Pythagorean"

>zeus - soos
Only Americans do that because they don't know how to pronounce u

Lieberry
Whores de'ovaries
Of-ten
Obee-sa-quee-scious

cunt

always thought it was kew-nt.

i used to think macarbre was macka-bree

Underrated post

Wait that's not how you pronounce it?

I used to pronounce the letter "v" as it is pronounced in English while speaking Spanish. (It's pronounced exactly as "b")

For the longest time I mispronounced C. S. Peirce's patronym. For the record, it's 'purse'.

English isn't my native language, I always thought it was pronounced that way, it's really odd sometimes how non-phonetic english can be

Wew, this is some top tier brainlet posting.

I haven't mispronounced it but I was shocked to hear a professor use the alternate pronunciation of "eschew" in class one day. ess-chew

Also, I'm thrown off every time I read "draught" in a novel, initially understanding it as "drought," and having to catch myself.

fuh-kade instead of facade.

I used to say axe instead of ask.

Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

There's an aircraft company that goes by that name and pronounciation.
bombardier.com/en/home.html
I know this because my mother worked for them for 15 years