What are the last books you bought?

Pic related is my latest haul, picked up my first Pynchon and Joyce.
>inb4 pleb
Where should I start?

The only good ones are Joyce and V, but its the worst printing of V there is

I bought the rest of the Solar Cycle and Feast of Snakes.

Dubliners is the best set of short stories I've ever read. I think you'll like it if you like character-driven works.

> its the worst printing of V there is
Fuck, really? Did they change stuff or are you just talking about not liking the cover?

>Barnes and Noble Collectible

Yeah was thinking of starting with Dubliners and maybe interlacing them with other short stories like those found in HP book, and maybe some art of war and finally finishing the Prince (tried two times but it bores me)

>not buying compiled works because the book is part of a collectible series I don't like

superfluous

how much are you guys generally paying for hardcover books?

Dubliners is basically a novel.

Sound and the fury
Lincoln in the bardo
White tears
Snow crash
The dead mountaineer's inn

Almost through lincoln in the bardo. Not bad

I actually rarely buy hardcovers but the HP Lovecraft book costs €28 and thought it was well worth it.
Really? Well than I will just read it all in once.

In my experience $20-30 CAD usually. Can find things cheaper sometimes but that's a pretty reasonable window.

>lincoln in the bardo
Whew enjoy those padded dialogue pages

>Last 7 items purchased, waiting for all but one in the mail now
Paradise Regained
Samson Agonistes
Faust part 1 and 2
Jerusalem Delivered
The Name of the Rose
Dracula (this is a preorder of a new Penguin hardcover print coming out in a couple weeks so I might not get it until February actually)

>white tears
I just can’t see the word white anymore

minus the kobo it's jjust for pseud imagery there

Haha i thought it wasnt too bad overall. Started promising then lost its way i thought. Tried to be bit too stylish for its own good and pushed its point pretty hard. Not the greatest execution.
Yeah lol. Its a quick read but there are a few little bits so far that have given me the warm and fuzzies but nothing really mind blowing or concepts which i have not come across before. Still, i think, presented in a relatively unique and imaginative context

ebin stack

I thought about translating Process & Reality in Finnish, just write it out to a text file and maybe just putting it up on a blog.

Wonder how legal that is in Finland, gotta read up on copyright laws I guess.

I really love that book and I skimmed through it (I've read it before) to see how much of a project its translation would be.

Kokoro and If on a winter's night a traveler

very good condition with no marking on the inside Speer for 99 cents was definitely the highlight of the day

but the rare bertrand russel was also pretty cool.

pretty sure he's on about the cover
that whole cover series sucks because instead of getting a /zany/ pynchonesque load of pictures you just can't make anything out and every novel just looks like a big title with a bunch of dots and whatnot around it.

Just don't buy any more from that printing, though, and it'll be fine, because you won't have another book that illustrates how terrible the cover idea is at individuating each work, and you can just have one cool book with a weird cover, and all shall be well.

>Used books.
Enjoy those cum stains and sack hair.

My fucking DECLINE OF THE WEST literally has sperm on its cover.

STOP BUYING SOFTCOVER BOOKS.
THEY WILL GO TO SHIT AFTER FIRST TIME YOU HAVE READ THEM.

STOP BUYING PENGUING EDITIONS THEY LOOK FUCKING UGLY

Calm down, a book can be bought twice. If penguin goes to shit, I re-buy it, unless I discover I don't like the book. No need to scream like a monkey.

You are destorying enviroment with that shit cut it down
buy an ereader or buy proper books that dont go to shit after half a year

im currently reading Meditations

I actually like the cover desu senpai, it's like where is Waldo.

>My fucking DECLINE OF THE WEST literally has sperm on its cover.
Guess it's true then, the west is truly declining.

ayy

>THEY WILL GO TO SHIT AFTER FIRST TIME YOU HAVE READ THEM
How the fuck do you read? Obviously they are not as durable as hard covers but most softcovers, depending on quality and page count, can be read at least 5-10 times before they start going to pieces.

I like the transformation softcover books go through when reading them. Also penguin editions might be ugly but are pretty cheap and I buy them for the content anyway not for the covers.

I've had softcovers at home for years, I've read them multiple times and they're still intact. What are you on about?

I read them hard as fuck to the bone.
I read like a chad.

>He thinks ereaders are OK for the environment but the industry growing more trees to make paper isn't
The absolute levels of retardation on this board I swear

I bet you're completely insufferable.

from top:
>journey to the end of the night
>some new polish book
>first man
>submission
>jacques and his master

They make nice editions in Poland

A modest Hinduism haul. I'm still on Christianity and Judaism so I doubt they'll see use until late in the year.

That's pretty cool, mate.

wisdom of the west is a good read
definitely start with that understanding Hinduism book, it's a great entry point.

I just like to read books about music when i'm on break on the train. I could read about industrial and electronic music all day

>20 jazz funk great
Sounds nice, which groups does it cover?

it's the name of an album by one of the original industrial bands Throbbing gristle. it is neither jazz nor funk but it is excellent.

Oh right, I don't know anything about Industrial, lol.

Last 3 books i recieved.
They were all christmas gifts.

I was pretty excited about the W&M, I asked my brother to pre-order the new printing for me and he got me the original because he thought the cover looked better.

bardzo dobry user

Foucault's Pendulum a year ago

These for only $24 in all

The only people who buy hardcover books are non-readers.

Left is a late Qing era novel about a woman who was the concubine of a diplomat in the west.
The right is a collection of modern chinese short stores and some essays on them.

I technically didn't buy the first one but it's still a neat acquisition.

> Gulag Archipelago, 1st edition, in French
> Janesville, Amy Goldstein
> Gentrifier, J. J. Schlichtman, J. Patch, M. L. Hill

>Italian folktales
sweeeet

>I technically didn't buy the first one but it's still a neat acquisition.
disgusting thief

Good shit.

It was a gift from my grandmother, you lowbrow pleb.

>Ovid's Metamorphoses (Tr. Mandelbaum)
>S.P.Q.R - Mary Beard
>The Best Poems of the English Language
>Dubliners - Joyce
>Complete Tales & Poems - Edgar Allan Poe

I'm sorry bro. Don't call me pleb tho :(

That middle one has a very cool cover

I just finished Mandelbaum translation of Metamorphoses and I didn't personally enjoy the modernity of the language. Fare you well however, the content is still top notch.

The Inheritors by William Golding and
Julian by Gore Vidal were what I got with my Amazon gift card I got for Christmas.

Then why do I read my hardcovers? Checkmate smugbug

you think you are, but you're not

not him but kek, good one

got Siddharta and The Metamorphosis today, and when I got home I realized I mostly own books by german authors

I actually received my "poetry box" of Milton and Goethe and Tasso today, and damn it I should've reviewed the dimensions of the products better. Despite the Milton being fairly short works, they still decided to print it on "collected works"-tier size large paper, meaning the books are like ~4mm thick - not even large enough to print the title on the spine. Learn from my mistake bros. (It's not really a big deal but I feel like I'm holding babby's first book from a Scholastic book order.)

>Buying a inferior version of a collected edition
Kneestronkulous