Where should I start with Borges ?

Where should I start with Borges ?
Can I directly jump into reading him or not ?
Are all his works worth reading, or only some of them ?

Other urls found in this thread:

libraryofbabel.info/Borges/libraryofbabel.pdf
mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2014/03/26/explorations-studies-in-culture-communication-1953-59/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Slight bump

A lot of dumb questions. He’s an easy read and entry level. Don’t overthink it.

Just read him dummy, I hate guys like you who are too afraid to just do.

Read him violently. Borges and I.

libraryofbabel.info/Borges/libraryofbabel.pdf

I love this.

hey guys um i know this author is one of the most well-regarded of all time and everything, but do you think hes worth reading?

>one of the most well-regarded of all time

nah

I think the thing I love about his Library of Babel is that is sort of foretells the Internet.

It's the kind of story you want to read with Marshall Mcluhan and Teilhard de Chardin

It appears that Borges even contributed writings to McLuhan's magazine;
mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/2014/03/26/explorations-studies-in-culture-communication-1953-59/

With Borges it's not the narrative of the story that counts; its the metanarrative (sorry I know that's so cringe-making) of the thought systems and their ramifications that take center stage.

He is though.

Just read Ficciones Jesus. Can mods start deleting threads with "questions" that could easily be answered if the moron knew how to use Google and Wikipedia?

Just get Labyrinths. Almost everything in it is solid gold.

No cringe here, good assessment.

>where should I start
>give me the rundown
>how do I into
if it is not learning a new language, maths or Science it doesn’t require prep at all. Philosophy hardly does either, if you have trouble grasping these things, lit and poetry, you’re stupid.

Luis Bunuel found Borges to be pretentious and self absorbed.

I can see where he would come to this conclusion but I think it's an erroneous conclusion.
Autistic men are incapable of reading the refined subtleties of human emotion in the details of expression in the human face or even an animal's face.
Like autistic men, Borges was blind and that too deprived him of much of the richness of human emotion and expressiveness. Instead he seems to have substituted a kind of philosophical game world where inexorable and surprising results proceed logically from a few arbitrary premises imposed by the narrator.

He was thus incapable of writing an elaborate novel rich in the human experience, but despite that his short stories are very entertaining and thought provoking. There's a lot of amusing truths in his works.

>erroneous
Lmao

What's funny about "erroneous"?

You’re a pretentious faggot pseud that is incapable of saying anything substantive

I made a cogent defense of Borges work in the face of Bunuel's dismissal of him.'

I'd be interested in hearing your own substantive contribution to the discussion on Bunuel's work.

Just jump straight into the Collected Fictions, if you must start with one of his most famous stories like The Immortal or Library of Babel. After you've finished the fictions grab the Selected Non-Fictions, then poems.

That's pretty much what's available to you in English. Even in Spanish, it's notoriously difficult to collect the thousands of pages he wrote in a sensible manner. His Collected Works in spanish, the closest thing to an actual publication of his total oeuvre for instance, contains only those pieces he put in books!

>McLuhan
>Borges

If you start going off about Nabakov and VGHS I'm telling Kantbot

That's a really good one; The Immortal is really great.
His most Spenglerian story. Great civilizations exhaust themselves and finally become nothing more than a pile of splendid ruins inhabited by naked troglodytes.

I'm not that crazy about Nabokov frankly.

If I was given a choice between reading a stack of Hugh Auchincloss and Vladimir Nabokov right now I'd take the Auchincloss.