/sffG/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Heinlein Edition
>what was the most fucked up book you ever read from Heinlein?
>after reading Heinlein did it reveal any deep seated degenerate tendencies?
>did Heinlein make you look at your mother as a woman?

FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries:
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previous Threads:

Welp. Library at Mount Char was a wild ride. Took a while to get into it but then I was compelled to not stop reading, so I think I read the last ~70% yesterday, finishing the last ~10% this morning. I enjoyed it a lot. It was very different, enough to be intriguing although I felt like there could have been more answers or more fulfilling dialogues with certain people.
Anyway, I'd recommend it.

Second for web novels are a meme.

Glad you enjoyed it. Now for a whacky turn please read house of blades.

Posting.

Where's the audio plays rec chart I was promised?

>137 pages into Shadow of the Torturer
Severian had a hard life...

sanderfag a hack

I want to write some schlock fantasy about a thief and have it basically just be Elder Scrolls game tier boring. Like no exciting mansion breakins, no intrigue, just an autistic sociopath who's realized that if he acts like he belongs or just crouches in the corner and wears his special enchanted shoes nobody will notice him and he can take their stuff. Like Skyrim, this will be a vehicle for the main character showing up all over the map and getting a ludicrously close look at the lives of "important," yet completely flat, characters. It's going to be totally fucking boring and it's going to get published and make a million dollars. People love boring shit.

man it gets worse, don't worry

>>what was the most fucked up book you ever read from Heinlein?
Probably just Glory Road, after that I stayed away from his senilia. Oh, I read SIASL but that was just boring.
>>after reading Heinlein did it reveal any deep seated degenerate tendencies?
Nope.
>>did Heinlein make you look at your mother as a woman?
My mother made me look at SIASL as a novel, the one failure in her sainted life.

Let me tell you guys, Citizen of the Galaxy, Have Spacesuit Will Travel, Tunnel in the Sky -top notch Golden Age shonen. Door into Summer and Puppet Masters are pretty good too.
>you will never build civilization on a new world with your aggressive Zulu waifu

But then it gets better. But then it gets weird.

And then there's a dinosaur and they all get high and drink Thecla's brains and fall into a painting and they fight dwarfs riding blind giants and pregnant women with demilunes.

there's also this bit where he fucks himself from the past

I missed that, I did catch where he sleeps with his grandma though.

Or are you saying Little Sev was himself from the past? How?

What was so weird about Glory Road?

I always thought that his weirdest was either The unpleasant profession of Johnathan Hoag or I Will Fear No Evil.

>What was so weird about Glory Road?
Just the wife-swapping really, then how he's basically just Star's concubine.

Wait! Yeah, I also read Friday. Forgot about that. She's in a group marriage like in the moon libertarians one and she gets raped but conquers her rapists by liking it.

>desert has no water
>GLOBAL WARMING SEE
come on dude

Anyone read pic related?
I thought the movie was on to something good but fell a bit short. Is the book much different?

what field are you in?
anthropocentric activity -> climate change -> global warming -> desertification
fool

I buy big Sev = little Sev with all the time travel shit. What I still don't really understand is Sev seeing Dorcas crying over what I can only imagine to be his own corpse. I think the timeline may have split after his journey with the aliens - if I remember right, he was surrounded by the Increate's thorny time-bushes when he got back. This stuff is probably explained more in UotNS - all I know about that book is that it makes it clearer that Sev did have a sister, giving more credit to big Sev = little Sev.

Sorry for asking for a book recommendation based on a video game, but I was wondering if there was anything in the vein of Silent Hill, and not some sort of book adaptation of the game. Thanks

shadow over innsmouth.
its a lovecraft short story.
actually has a game made after it that is pretty damn excellent too called call of cthulhu: dark corners of earth.

thanks, m8. i've been meaning to get into lovecraft since i've only read some of his introductory works.

Webnovels are novels too

Is silver ships considered bad? I mean the MC is a total not-self-insert but several chapters in i'm enjoying the comfy atmosphere, premise is interesting enough and reader has a very engrossing voice

i've only read Starship Troopers and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I just picked up Stranger in a Strange Land, am I entering the danger zone?

Now that I think about it, it's pretty likely that Thecla was Severain's sister, huh? One gets eaten by the Alzabo itself, the other gets "distributed" with the help of the Alzabo. Plus the inexplicable bond, his learning of her past, all that. If true, then the only non-incestuous sex he had that I can remember was when he raped someone.

The Salem Hypotheses points to physics, engineering or math, since those fields are more likely to endorse crankery like creationism or be somebody who thinks that since they're an expert in one field (say, flying jet fighters) they're an expert on everything else ("as a fighter pilot, I think we should ban all forms of pizza other than Chicago style deep dish Hawaiian")

The issue is complicated by populations likely to participate in activities that more directly lead to desertification living in desertifying areas (the Mojave hasn't been growing much, has it?).

Also you're a faggot for using "anthropocentric" when you could have said "human."

then sell some nigga, we've already heard of Worm and Large Chests

human-centric would have made sense but sounded dumb
"human activity" some retard (you?) would have said "well i guess we should just stop human activity, huh"

"Anthropocentric activity" sounds dumb and sounds like you're trying too hard.

>make a goal to record everything I read this year on Goodreads
>first book I read is a light novel

>the Mojave hasn't been growing much, has it?

Oh desertification in southern California is certainly a thing, it's mostly been covered over by irrigation though, because fuckwit farmers want to keep growing almonds and rice in the desert. Arizona and New Mexico are worse off since they're largely already desert.

which you read bro, sanderson or rothfuss
who ya here for

>getting mad on the internet

both?

Randidly is quite decent if you ignore the retarded name. The MC is the only one who has the dumb name anyway.
I'm enjoying the anti-bigtech theme in the work, and it is polished, as far as webnovels go.

Don't worry, he deserves it.

>tfw no AI computer who considers me his best friend

So, I just finished Foundation and Earth

>that fucking thriller-movie ending

FUCK.

One thing I didn't understand is, did they erase Earth's records from everywhere just to motivate Golan to get to them? Seemed kind of impractical and contrived for such a big task.

Also, how's the non-Asimov trilogy?

I don't think so, keep in mind that Thecla had memories of House Absolute and was a full-grown woman; while Severa was just a little girl.

>book of the new sun spoilers
welp, ill see you guys next thread. im almost done with the first two books.

Just got the Metro 2033 book, what am I in for? All I know is that the sequels are worse.

I always thought Dorcas was crying over her husband (Severian's grandfather), the old guy at the lake looking for her.

Anyone read The Alchemy Wars series by Ian Tregillis?

>Krogan Battlemaster: Surrender. Or don't. That would be more fun.
>Shepard: We don't have time to deal with this idiot. CHARGE.
Whats a fantasy or sci-fi staring the equivalent of Shepard?

Lord Nelson

I like anthropocentric as it reminds greens that while I care about the environment a lot, humans are still top dog

it's a great ride, I actually think it's pretty good YA as you follow this 20-something on his wacky ride round the metro, meeting all sort of colourful characters and locations
Refer to the map a lot too, when I went to Moscow a few months ago I just had to pop down to a station to look at the map IRL, it was pretty cool

How did yall do for 2017?

43 books, 15700 pages and an average rating of 3,8. Longest book was Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel and most popular The Handmaids Tale.

I read 14,643 pages across 37 books, Oathbringer was the longest, Fahrenheit 451 the most popular.

The least popular was Toast on Toast: Cautionary Tales and Candid Advice. I'm fairly certain that the book is a must if you enjoyed the show. Not quite sff, but Toast of London does have situations and absurdity not really possible in a realistic setting. The audiobook was narrated by the actor himself.

So, while I recognize the importance of LotR, I don't personally love it.

That said, Tolkien's creation myth feels genuinely epic in scope and in a very short time he manages to make his world seem very ancient, casually stepping across epochs.

What are some other fantasy series with really interesting creation myths?

i axed my book challenge this year. planning on reading a bunch of books really discourages reading anything over 500 pages.

Library is as all style, no substance as it gets.

>book 3 in Realm of the Elderlings
>no more comfy Buckkeep
FUCK. What are some stories with a manor or keep to explore? Wouldn't mind some horror, either.

>her husband (Severian's grandfather)
I thought it was implied that Sev was Sev's grandfather, but I don't remember if the man looking for her was described as looking like Sev or no. I don't remember him being brought up when he met his father for the second time and saw the locket.

Severa and (little) Severain also both died, and yet (big) Severain was still walking around.

Honestly I don't even bother with spoiler tags for BotNS because I don't even know what I'm talking about and didn't feel like the spoilers I read when I was going through it impacted my enjoyment of it at all.

I also axed my challenge because I'm sitting on like 10 unfinished "Complete Stories"

Its not especially great, but as all Cruchton books its decent enough.
The book also feels short and not fully realized, its not a long novel.

Fucking hated the last 2 books, ass pulls everywhere and all plot threads go nowhere.
Also dosnt help it completely abandons the premise of the series.

Wolf 359 is so good.

>Alone means progress and development and concentration. Every great leap into the next paradigm happened because someone was alone long enough to make it happen. There is nothing to fear from "alone."

>Which leaves just one possible conclusion. Is not "alone" that's the problem. Alone is definite, quantifiable, controllable. No... what really scares us is the doubt.

>The scary part isn't thinking, "I am alone." The scary part is the corner of your mind that whispers back... "How can you be sure?"

>Remarkable thing, the human brain. Truly astounding. Such a will to survive, such a drive to protect itself from every possible threat. So committed to constant vigilance that it turns its own self into an adventure, a torture chamber, and uncertain and dangerous wilderness... Famous philosopher said that. Big man. Big brain. Had right idea on what we do to ourselves, how we drive ourselves mad with fear and neurosis just on the remote... distant... possibility... that...

>Enough! I am man of logic, man of evidence, man of seeing and hearing and knowing and I know that there is no one else here. Nothing in the dark that isn’t there in the light, yes? Old saying. To reassure children. Helps them go to sleep. No monsters underneath the bed.

>But evolution does not care about sleep. Does not make mistakes. Does not leave things lying around. So somewhere, sometime, someone must think that they're alone, when they're not.

>There must be monsters under someone's bed.

>unfinished "complete stories"
like, your own stories?

Is Roose Bolton supposed to be the Night's kings son?

time enough for love. that was a very strange incestuous book

fresh off of listening to oathbringer, I want some comfy with a decent story like stormlight archive.

Recommendations?

>evolution does not make mistakes

Not really the point. The point is that we have fear because danger is real, and we tend to experience it in situations that logically seem safe because sometimes they really aren't.

Good point. Martin Luther is proof that evolution makes mistakes.

>Luther

whats a good book to listen to? ive never listened to an audiobook but i might try it out.

Forget audiobooks. Read a book if you want to read a book. If you want audio, listen to an audio drama.

>audio drama.
???
Or you could just listen to a book.

or read a drama

I've never listened to an audiobook, but I imagine it's nice knowing how all of those stupid made-up fantasy names are pronounced.

>read a book if you want to read a book
So, I've got this thing called a real life, you pretentious teenage faggot. How about we compare our IRA's??

Actually, since you're a no life loser. Let's compare my 401k/ROTH to your Dad's.

It's funny you mention it. I always wonder how they are spelled.

Oh shit, an user said he makes more money than me.

I could just as easily claim to have fucked your mother. Though I guess the difference there is, having a decent paycheck is something not everybody has done.

I'll timestamp my paystub with pii blocked if you post yours.

Only children, unemployeed and fat/ugly (alone) people have time to read regularly.

I listened to the Stormlight Archive's and it was pretty good. The entire Dresden series is done by Spike from Buffy. The first two books suck nuts but then the series is real good (like 17 books?)

You almost certainly make more than me. I just don't care much. I do work that helps the homeless and that's more important to me.

By the way, I have a semi-active social life but do you seriously have shit going on seven nights a week?

I'm not even trying to stir shit up or argue at this point. I'm just curious because that sounds exhausting.

Are you lost, friend? If your time management skills aren't up to the task, then might be more your speed. I'm sure that bankroll will be useful for all the alternate covers an limited editions.

>do you seriously have shit going on seven nights a week?
Yes, I have a family.

I think you're lost, the pretentious teenagers are in all the other threads on this board. It seems they all arrived here after failing to summon a girlfriend on /x/

Also, you should read about how the mormons in Utah handled the homeless.

Ah, makes sense. I have friends and such but haven't settled down. Just got out of a long-term relationship, which sucks, but once some time has passed I'll get back in that race.

I still think audio dramas are better if you're going to listen, just because they're generally written for the purpose of listening, and because often they're in shorter, half-hour episodes and so have built-in stopping points.

I like to listen while I work out, or on the way to/from work.

I will try them.

You are definetly entering questionable territory, f.e. orgies and rape apology.
I am pretty sure at this point that Heinlein was a complete deviant.

Also SIASL is fucking boring and dragged out.

really? I mean, at least he didn't get raped

really?

>I mean, at least he didn't get raped

sorry for spoilers btw

>"I thought I was the last human on earth", she said.
>"You're the last woman," Halsyon howled. "I'm the last man. Are you a dentist?"
>"No," she said. "I'm the daughter of the unfortunate Professor Field whose well-intentioned but ill-advised experiment in nuclear fission has wiped mankind off the face of the earth with the exception of you and me who, no doubt on account of some mysterious mutant strain in our makeup which it makes us different, are the last of the old civilization and the first of the new."
>"Didn't your father teach you anything about dentistry?" Halsyon howled.
>"No," she said.
>"Then lend me your gun for a minute."
>She unholstered the revolver and handed it to Halsyon, meanwhile keeping her rifle ready. Halsyon cocked the gun.
>"I wish you'd been a dentist," he howled.
>"I'm a beautiful woman with an I.Q. of 141 which is more important for the propagation of a brave new beautiful race of men to inherit the good green earth," she said.
>"Not with my teeth it isn't," Halsyon howled.
>He clapped the revolver to his temple and blew his brains out.

If I normally don't like China Meiville, am I going to hate Un Lun Dun?

If Tom Hanks could take care of a tooth-ache with a rock and a skate surely this situation could've been avoided.

All I want to do is write something with wacky superpowers. Why is plot writing so hard?

be sure to use lots of awful jargon/fictional nouns, and ideally spread one book's worth of ideas over a 6-book series

>Now with two, he put 1 into Vit and one into Agi with a clear conscience. Randidly also noticed that when he put the point into Vit, his health went up by 2, while his Health regen per hour went up by 3. Stamina regen increased by 1. Which, he supposed, was pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

I literally cannot believe this is a thing. I am aghast

most of these are highly speculative and imo built on pretty thin implications

Because you don't have a story to tell, you're just an idea guy.

I have written a novel before, albeit with great difficulty.

He was just being polite, he actually killed himself rather than live in a nightmare of a world where the only person you have to talk to is a woman.

I mean at least alone you can go insane and talk to yourself

Write a short two sentence of what your story is about.
Then keep re-writing it until it's interesting.

If you wouldn't read a book described that way then you have no chance of writing it.