Eastern Philosophy Recommendations

I want into Buddhism and the East that isn't pretentious or too much hippy crap.

Any recommendations on Eastern philosophy, Buddhism? Original texts? overviews? etc

buddhism is true because of a study i read that it helps you deal with stress at work so everything is one

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind

The Empty Mirror

fucking rené bull terrier guenon

The Dhammapada is a great starting point for Buddhism. The Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita are foundational texts for Hinduism. Julius Evola's The Doctrine of Awakening and The Yoga of Power are good secondary sources on Buddhism and Hinduism, respectively. Also, this .Stay far away from new age sources that talk about 'muh yoga exercises' and 'muh sexual tantra.'

Yeah this is exactly the kind of shit i want to avoid. I just have a general interest in it but dont want to end up paying for some 'find myself' shit

Zen teachings of bodhidharma
Four foundations of mindfulness
What the Buddha taught
Nagarjunas middle way
Pointing out the dharmakaya
How to meditate, Kathleen MacDonald
Cutting through spiritual materialism

Perhaps check out Longchen rabjam and jamgon mipham

Only the constipated bootlickers at Veeky Forums would recommend Julius Evola for someone wanting to know more about the Buddha.

Find a temple, read Suttas, practice metta.

this. if you read original texts like upanishads or dhammapada, youll end up not knowing what the fuck they are talking about. if you read secondary material about it, it will most likely be incredibly inaccurate or just someone representation of the subject. if your interest is academic then the only way youll learn anything is by taking a class and talking to scholars about it. if your interest is spiritual-go talk to buddhists.

My opinion? eastern crap is about as saturated as western crap. if youre looking for the secret of life, you wont find it in a religion nor a secret society. if youre looking just to mediate and find a little serenity-just take yoga or tai chi, dont bother trying to get enlightened. all spiritualism is bullshit. philosophy is the true calling of man

Indian philosophy volume 1 and 2
Radhakrishnan S

You do know eastern philosophy is more than just spirituality, right?

virtually all eastern philosophy is interwoven with spirituality and thus useless to philosophical deliberation.

Good thing I saved this.

But the Upanishads aren't Buddhist?

The teachings of tibetan buddhism are considered secret. They arent secret in the sense that they are heavily guarded, they are secret in the sense that the minds of most people are that of an 'infantile' mind and as such cannot grasp the teachings fully. I believe the teachings of hinduism and buddhism are saturated but no where near the extent you have said

What the Buddha taught is a good introduction. It includes a few sutras so you can get an idea about Buddhist writing.

lol k

Do you disagree? If so may i ask why

Why is it that posters who don't bother to capitalize any of their words are all -without exception- retarded?

Why do so many of these sound like they are self-help pandering?

Because Rupi Kaur is en vogue.

this is Veeky Forums and we are all retarded. wake up

Spritituality is philosophy my fucking dude.

It is the spirit of the word one lives by.

Philosophy is the contemplation of the word we live by.

Idiots in this thread trying to seperate the two.

Also, you can study the texts as a scholar and become more spiritual by virtue if you practice the philosophy behinds the words.

>T. Non spiritual brainlets

Dhammapada
then I can reccomend books from kagyu and ningma teachers

not teachings of tibetan buddhism in general, but of tantric practices, yogas, advanced meditations. there are plenty of great tibetan buddhist books
you can find some secret doctrines online but first you won't understand it without explanations (like any other 'hermetic' text) and won't get any benefits. secret teachings are not secret. anybody can learn it if properly prepared (ngondro, refuge and other practices)