Continue college?

>Be me
>Get out of military
>GI Bill
>Start school to turn passion into a thing
>Major in Intellectual History and debate between Phil or Econ minor / double major
>Making 3.1k a month on top of paid school
>Get waifu pregnant
>OhshitINeedMoney.jpg
>Join trade union
>Use GI Bill to make Journeyman rate
>104k a year
>Comfy life but feel something missing
>Don't know how, when, or should I go back to school
>Waifu supports me
>Me afraid of finishing MA at 40 something and die an 'autodidact'
>PhD dreams die

Should I pursue school slowly? Should I just read and learn on my own and save the money?

Any advice, been bugging me for about a year now. Thanks Veeky Forums

Bump plss

If you have a comfy trade job that makes 6 figures why bother? You can find everything you'd be paying to learn online.

Idk, I just feel like having a degree is a good accomplishment in of itself

Your waifu is pregnant? That’s gonna be your biggest concern...

It's more prepping and emotionally investing myself since I'm fortunate enough to be in a trade union

Everything has been going well desu, still sinking in I'm going to be a dad who goes on Veeky Forums

OP it's too late to take the academic route. You have a wife and kids. Keep your good job and use your military discipline to get into a studying routine, and also learn to invest that money wisely so you have adequate leisure and ease of mind.

You could also take college very slowly, like a lot of people, a couple of classes at a time.

If anything working will actually give you valuable perspective on the topics you're studying. You don't risk becoming ivory-tower.

These are the correct responses. College is for either recently seperated veterans or those looking to get some specialized training. Once you've established yourself and have a career, there is no need to go back. You can learn everything you need to online and if you really need the classroom environment, just take one or two classes at a leisurely pace. Academia is mostly bullshit and the degrees are only worth it as a stepping stone. Take classes you enjoy and or need an instructor to understand.

What you described is ideal for me. Would you recommend going to the military and then learning a trade or just learning a trade without the military?

Also, I don´t think college should matter to you man, your life seems to be made. College wont give you anything except for maybe having accomplished a goal in life, but you have a good job and no jobs in those fields will realistically pay more. My 2 cents.

That's a really last good point

I've always leaned in a more lolbertarian way but really have learned and appreciation for unions, admittedly there are some criticisms but overall it works in my favor

I was an infantryman in the service and I'm in a trade now, to be honest if you were a mechanic in the military and went to a trade union you'd start off the same as someone who was a grunt

If you want to go the military route, first thank you and second chose what you want to do not what you think will translate to civilian life (unless it's something like medical)

In my heart I know you're all right, I just am stubborn and would love to have a degree for muh ego and to hang it in my home library

I'm not the biggest fan of Marx but he did teach himself (no college) and he objectively changed the game of philosophy

I am also a college quitter in his mid 30's who makes 6 figures. It's pretty much impossible for me to go back now but I have zero interest in it.

You already missed the boat on academia and, honestly, if you're already making six figures that'd be the only reason I could see for wanting to go back. Unless you're also dude bro and feel like you missed out on smashing 18 year old puss after keggers and think that's gonna happen.

Or do you absolutely hate your fucking job and think you don't have another 30-40 years in you doing what you're doing? Because I know that feel too bruh. Everybody goes through it. If you want something less demanding physically, you're gonna have to swallow your pride and start asking everyone you know if they know someone hiring. And you're probably going to need to take a paycut to start out. Everybody thinks white collar jobs are all cush, but in the beginning you have to put in the hours and most of the business needs to residualize before you start to get comfy.

I actually love my trade, and after my apprenticeship I may join my town fire department and do my trade and fire fight (know a few fitters who balance the two)

And I honestly liked college as an adult because a had a little perspective and wasn't worried about girls anymore since my wife and I had just tied the knot

Also, you don't need to join the service to do a trade but in the case of a trade union you can do the program called 'Helmets to Hardhats' after the military, so it helps

Did I miss the boat on academia because of my age? (25)

I mean you do realize that most people who had those majors probably make less than 104k right?

Originally I wanted to become a professor

Thanks for the replies man, I will take what you said into consideration. Even with a few years of, say, welding experience you would still be considered someone coming into the industry fresh? Thanks again man, best of luck to you and thank you for your service.

Are you currently getting your PhD at a top tier university?

Welding experience in the army, that is.

Also just FYI I went the autodidact route because I hate school and worked my way up from the bottom to a decent job that gives me enough money to support myself and read for 30 hours a week. I'm totally happy this way, and I am WAY BETTER at reading than I would have been another way if I didn't have all the experience with people and normal working life. Books are so much richer because I understand what is at stake in them rather than having to analogize or just read campus or high ideas lit. I'm also much more independently minded because I'm not accountable to any kind of department or peer group for my tastes. I can enjoy entertainments just as well as serious work. I have nobody to prove anything too, so I just read what I like and feel is best for me and I've learned very well how to find new things.

Anytime my man! More / less yeah, unless you have specific licenses

If you're looking into mechanical stuff military side I recommend the Army MOS 12K (plumber) or 12D ( Underwater diver / welder)

Thanks again user

No still need to finish my BA desu

That sounds awesome! I'd imagine it's also better spending 10k on books rather than a year of school

Also you can do engineer jobs (12K and 12D weld the most probably) in the national guard

I'm in the guard now (Still infantry) and it's a good gig, helps with the transition / is an escape for a weekend

That´s what I was thinking, maybe a few years in an MOS that corresponds to a trade job I want to do in civilian life, and then reclassing into (preferably) the SOF, or the other way around. Though I still have time to think about it and might rethink it. Very useful advice man, you´re stellar. Gives me hope that there are people doing well in this country, especially veterans.

Kill yourself, welfare queen

You might be able to at a juco or at a smaller college.

Go for it, man. Same with the OP. Don't listen to me. Seriously.

I'm happy and always wanted to write fiction anyway. So I do it in my free time. Maybe it'll go somewhere? Probably not. Who knows? Life is weird.

SOF is an amazing gig, hard to do

You can do SOF in the guard too believe it or not. I'm actually thinking of going to selection myself or reclassify to 12D after this contract is over (I'll be at 9 years TIS at that point) and I think I'll want to change it up job wise

Good luck man, sucks you can't PM me here I'd answer anything I could

I probably will pay more into the system within the next 5 years then you will your whole life

>then you
Veteran confirmed
Holy fuck all of you are genuinely retarded

I'm on Veeky Forums and I started a thread where Anons are encouraging one another and you come sperging out

Be honest, are you as happy or successful as anyone here?

This is The Virgin vs The Chad

I have a lot of questions, but if you posted any account names here I think it will turn out bad. Thanks for all of the help and information, I appreciate it. I´m headed off to bed. Best of luck to you in all of your endeavors.

You should kill yourself along with your dependapotamus

that doesn't sound like smart thinking

>be me
>have free college education cuz Europe
>fail first year because I'm lazy
>parents tell me I should get a job
>finally pass first year
>about to fail second year
>three years without any progress
>tfw I'll probably work in McDonalds

The point of this story is that I want everyone here to know that I'm a failure.

>Once you've established yourself and have a career, there is no need to go back.
Unless you are in a career that values a degree. A lot of military try for police after their service, and a degree helps you rise above instead of being a road cop forever.

just become an artist, dude

Are you French? Thought so

I guess I could. I just make something and pretend it has some really deep meaning, right?

Nah. If I were, I'd do ASMR or something

Why do people in trades make so much money? Aren't these jobs for brainlets? Is it because not many people are willing to do it which results in high demand?

this

Hey senpai,

No you didn't. Tbh I wish I went at your age... I was a fuckhead when I was 18. I know people who went in their mid twenties and they got a lot more out of it.

Trades are basically like the definition of skilled labor.
An average person would never be able to put an entire plumbing or electrical system in a building and yet everybody wants plumbing and electricity of course.
Hence the ability to do these things is extremely valuable no matter how you look at it.

There's an inflation of dumb women with college degrees who no one needs, but there's a lack of good electricians, plumbers and handymen.

I'm about to do the same thing. Are there any tips you could give me? Tidbits of information you wish you knew back when you started?

I'm hoping to become a photojournalist in the USAF, get valuable experience, get my post-9/11, then commit a decade or so towards a doctorate.

Give it a try man, air force is pretty relaxed too, especially with an MOS like that you will probably have a lot of fun and meet some hot chicks (AF chicks are the best)

Supply and demand desu

Thank you user son, I think I'll keep at it slowly then go to grad school years down the road

I want the last thing I see to be your fedora, Senpai.

I finished the last year of my PhD with my first child and am doing a post doc with my second child. It was difficult but financially I was not doing too poorly, although there was of course a lot of stress at times.

I wouldn't turn my back on a 100k salary to become a full-time student of a major that is likely to not result in employment let along 100k/year. That's just unwise.

Why not become a part-time student and finish at your own leisure? There is no deadline for you and the degree is for your pleasure, not an employment requirement. If I didn't finish my PhD I would have been fucked in terms of my career trajectory and opportunities.

Did your wife give birth yet?

WELCOME TO Veeky Forums

ENJOY TALKING TO STRANGERS ABOUT THEIR PISS POOR LIFE CHOICES

FUCK OFF

THIS IS A LITERATURE BOARD

I'm leaning towards online classes for my school, the school I'm at has an amazing night program too for untraditional students

No she is about half way, very excited and I'm feeling comfortable about money given my profession. I realize many aren't fortunate enough to say the same

What's your doctorate in if you don't mind me asking?

Kk

My PhD is in biology. It's a small field so I'll be purposely vague for privacy reasons, but basically microbiology, molecular biology, that kind of thing. Grad school was an amazing time to devote myself 100% to knowledge and narrow topics, I really loved that period of my life despite it being quite stressful (I worked 7 days a week for months at a time and my scholarship was prestigious yet not very lucrative).

Honestly, when your new baby is born you aren't going to be able to even think of school let alone hobbies or anything for a while. You are going to be preoccupied with the baby and sleep. It's a fun time and goes by quickly, but there will be a lot of sleep deprivation.

Anyway, courses in a classroom are best if the prof is good, but definitely continue your education with online classes if you can find the time and energy.

Many people never find good employment OR their passion in life. There are worse things than having a good paying job that is at least tolerable and having the time/money to focus on family and hobbies/passions on the side. Definitely pursue education if it is important to you, but I wouldn't throw away your current job or think that you can't pursue a part-time education and be just as satisfied. Don't look at the options or your paths as being dichotomous or conflicting, you can do both if you really want to.

>i don't pay taxes since i'm umemployed but at least i know the difference between than and then, haha!

C’mon, welfare queen, is that your best? Pretty embarrassing, but not as embarrassing as joining the military because you were literally too retarded to do anything else with your life.

Who hurt you?

Thanks Senpai, I'll deff take that into consideration

I'm hoping to finish a PhD at some point before I die, maybe teach adjunct at a community school while collectincollecting two pensions.

>biology
lel