peter singers autobiography

One Hundred Years of Solitude

Animal Farm

The House of the Scorpion

Boy Scout Handbook 1911

Journey to the End of the Night

W2c?

The Idiot or War and Peace.

It always switches between 'The Hobbit' and 'The War of the Worlds'.

notes from the underground

The Brothers Karamazov probably

unironically hypersphere

The Great Gatsby

Franny and Zooey

Dropped out of uni after I exposure to the border trilogy. I read Blood Meridian by candlelight in a van I slept I while working on railways. I went on to climb oil rigs for the next 5 years with Mccarthy as my guide in the world of working class men. I would highly recommend. I went from geek to hard working/drinking/fucking man

The Great Gatsby

Crime and Punishment or Street of crocodiles

Unironically On the Road. The Dharma Bums is objectively better tho, but On the Road is supremely comfy while at the same time extremely readable.

Seiobo there below

>I went from geek to hard working/drinking/fucking man
Unironically is that a good thing?

Yeah. It's good to work hard. It feels amazing to connect with books/stories of old times with hard living. I can go talk to rough old geezers and get a measure of respect from them. I also had some wild times with women who like a guy with rough hands who could also talk and read. However I worked with absolute scum who viciously bullied anyone weak or new including me. It has lowered my opinion of masculinity to the absolute worst I thought it could get to. Basically it took me out of my comfort zone and beasted me. I like the new me but the change was brutal. Does that make sense?

The Great Gatsby

crime and punishment for sure

16yo itt hide your books

Fag

It does, but in a very traditional sense of 'what it means to be a man'. I'm curious about your distaste for masculinity when you seem to be proud of very masculine traits.
Also,
>at what age did you make this change?

Infinite Best

Ach I'm terrible at explaining it. I really meant there are highs and lows of traditional working class masculinity, I found the highs incredible after a failed time at university coupled with a lack of success with women(caused by lack of speaking to them) . The confidence and devil-may-care you get from doing a dangerous job is a hell of a rush. It's easy to ask a woman out on a date when you nearly died the other day. Helps put life in perspective. My distaste is that bad stuff that comes with masculinity feels so unnecessary. I used to get so angry at the anti-intellectualism of my coworkers. The hatred of the new. I have a great amount of respect for guys that can make a solid living doing what I would consider a boring job, it just shows my own insecurities about manliness. However if I was to make this argument at work it would be near heresy to consider an accountant as manly as a scaffolder. I used to wish there would be a growth in reading on the oil rigs I suppose I'm just being aloof/naive. I was about 23 when I started my line of work.

You can probably write a book about yourself now

>East of Eden

currently rereading it, still think it's brilliant

Thanks mane that's means a lot I had some really rough years but I really enjoy talking about it. I just finished work in a goldmine in Western Australia. I suppose you just gotta give writing a go and keep smashing it till you like what's on the page.

Crying of Lot 49, Dandelion Wine, or Savich's Annulments

The Fountainhead

The Great Gatsby

The Last Temptation

Dubliners. (Eveline is fantastic)

your mom

What kind of books would a serial killer read?

Ready Player One and The Sirens of Titan

Only books i have ever "liked". I dont read a lot of books. Why i am here?

when i finished it i just felt 'damn i don't know if im ever going to read a better book' so good

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. HST is funny as hell.

the left hand of darkness

>ITT: novel faggot brainlets who can't into anything else

the absolute state of Veeky Forums

>One Hundred Years of Solitude
I'm an 18 year old uni STEM student and reading your posts makes me want to drop out like you did. I'm sick of this sheltered, sedentary lifestyle. I want to be masculine in it's truest sense as you described it. Yet the idea of working on a mine or some other construction site for the next 50 years seems so monotonous and boring. I feel far too ambitious for that. It seems like I'm romanticising that type of lifestyle.

What can a confused boy read/do to gain some direction in life and truly become a man?

Samefag. idk why my comment above says '100 years of solitude' ignore that

>Dandelion Wine
Good choice...my personal favourite as well.

The Count of Monte Cristo

If you want a career to be a man then join the military. The world is full of individuals who are simple minded that can work for a gold mind, but Utilizing the Intelligence given to you defines being a man. I pity the individual who was born to work manual labor, but I admire indivuals like Genghis Khan, J. Robert Oppenheimer, Augustus Ceasar, etc.; not because they decided to succumb to the idealism brought forth from some fag on Veeky Forums who says that working as manual laborer will grant you any satisfaction at all, for the rest of your life, rather than proving yourself in your mind and body by doing great things. Satisfaction in being a man comes from drive, and the people with no drive to succeed are the ones who gave up on their will to be a man, and are at the same time, trying to justify to themselves and the rest of the world that they are living a romantic lifestyle.

The Shadow of the Torturer
or
Brothers Karamazov

Lolita

The Fountainhead

Thank you. That was a great answer and I wasn't expecting anyone to even notice my comment.

I have actually seriously considered joining the military but I'm brown and live in a white country so I don't know if I'd fit in. That's what's held me back honestly.

Either way I'll remember your advice and find some way to carve my own path with the intellect I was given. It's funny because my dad always tells me what you've just told me.

Jane Eyre

Infinite Jest :D

Brave New World, I have to thank /lit for this since I most likely wouldn't have touched it weren't it not for the best book suggestions pic

I love this too but I'm not sure why I liked it so much now that I think about it. It wasn't particularily though provoking or shocking, it was just a nice story that was low on the degenerate side and it was comfy.

The Brothers Karamazov. Nothing comes close.

faggots

Good luck, my friend. Just think about who you want to be in your life, the architect of the pyramids or one of the thousands that labored to make someone else’s dream come true.

ulysses

Book of Kings

American Psycho