Does fantasy really need to feature humans? It's extremely hard to find books that don't

Does fantasy really need to feature humans? It's extremely hard to find books that don't.
Humans are always the same jack-of-all-trades good-but-corrupt generic shit, do away with them.

As opposed to what, all the """original""" fantasy races that are transparently obvious expies of real life or mythological human societies, or their mix, or their ""subversion""?

I think a cool idea for a fantasy book would be one where you choose one of the less popular generic races like and make them the protagonist. Instead of some big macho human warrior chosen one you follow the adventures of a unskilled parochial halfling finding himself in the middle of some big generic fantasy quest he is totally unprepared for.

Yes. In fact it's more interesting when humans are the extinct common ancestors of humanoid races.

Read all tomorrows then.

I had an idea recently. Why not have humans be some kind of super-race? One could portray the races such as elves, orcs, halflings ect. as fractions of humans.

underrated post

that's literally the hobbit though.

OP BTFO

shut up

I'm not good with jokes

I browse Veeky Forums

Nah

Fuxking keke

The problem is that hobbits were directly identified with an idealised England, so a hobbit was basically an exaggeration of an Englishman and his point of view.

The problem with writing a non-human protagonist is that you're likely to end up either creating a character that is a "human but something or other", a rubbishy stereotype of some fantasy race, or, if you succeed, a character that is almost totally incomprehensible to the reader.

You mean something like Redwall

Just stop it with the orcs and elves and that would be enough for me. I don't understand why people try to take new spins on these races instead of just making their own

fair enough lmao

I like Watership Down, and the great thing is, if you read it in the bathtub in a postapocalypse scenario, you can recycle your tears into drinking water.

Why is it always set in the past? Why not elfs and orcs and wizards and shit but with future levels of technology? Or even current day technology? We already have dwarfs. Imagine Lord of the Rings but with tanks huge tank battles on the plains of Rohan, Mordor and Gondor involved an a Fierce war for air superiority, maybe Saroman dropping agent orange on Mirkwood, Frodo and Sam has to fly a suicide mission with not enough fuel to try and drop the ring into Mount Doom after they find out Sauron has the atomic bomb. They having to do it of course since they are the lightest being Hobbits and will therefore waste less fuel.

shadowrun has a grip on that market

It doesn't need to feature humans, but without human characters, or something identifiable as nearly human, the work becomes unrelatable. A great deal of the novel would be devoted to developing a new species, showing us how they communicate and live. This is a difficult prospect because language, idioms, and stereotypes all stem from our shared human heritage. The work would be bogged down almost immediately.

I think it is a shame that fantasy cannot exist without human characters.

there was a movie for you a month ago

Why not just use the races that already exist, irl? Asians(elves), blacks(orcs), whites(humans), etc.

>Warhammer 40,000