Sam Harris dismisses compatibilism as a form of theology

>Sam Harris dismisses compatibilism as a form of theology
what the fuck did he mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SbRf67-BSjE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

post-gibberish

>you don't have free will but you still have free will

If you want Sam Harris to go away, the best thing to do is to stop posting about him

What does he mean by anything he says?

>mental midget doesnt get nuance
>hard determinist
checks out

>being wrong is nuance

really makes you think

AHAHAHAH what the actual fuck

do me a favor and try not to curse in your next thread plebius maximus

I don't see a problem here.

>There is Reb. Harris
>There is hot stove
>Reb. Harris thinks hot stove really sucks
>Reb. Harris has no free will
>To stop hearing Reb. Harris complain about stoves, we ought to remove the stove

You literally explained exactly what he meant by that in your OP post. Decapitate yourself, preferably shaving and on accident like the incredible accident you are.

truly the greatest mind of our time

this

>You literally explained exactly what he meant by that in your OP post
???????

this literally boils down to absolutely nothing more than Knowledge is Power

>if compatibilism is true then how come it isn't true?

logic wins again

>Unfortunately, many experiences suck

>compatibilism
Here is all you need to know about Harris he is a nihilism inducing jew who hasn't produced any contribution to real scientific research since receiving his phd...and even that was a wash. He is the thing he pretends to be against and a true hypocrite in every sense of the word.

Nothing this man says or does adds any value whatsoever it's garbage that makes you feel shitty about everything and produces no point, no enlightenment, and no value. The words he drools out is just meant to feed his $$$$$$ machine. Do yourself a favor and read journals, research papers, and other peer reviewed genuine works of science not drivel and inane opinions from an attention whore waiting for his next Maher/Rogan interview.

Genuine side note, if you build a reputation for denying what you can't prove or disprove you a pointless human being. Such a small mind. Peace out cunt.

I really like the part where he both fully explains the concept of and then adequately quantifies what he means by suck

first thing i noticed. there is no should but some things are subject to judgement which is based on should

>everything i disagree with is theology!

>- we ought to avoid doing things that really and truly suck
>- but why?
>- becaus dey suck lol

WOW... powerful....

>things suck
>people are shitty

Is this the argument of milennial philosophy?

but Harris’s core beliefs that there is no self and there is no god are borderline scientific facts

basically that the sort of brand of "Christianity" Peterson peddles where Christian values are somehow divorced from cosmology and other aspects of Christian doctrine is a massive copout

So does nuking the middle east suck or not?

theology = icky = bad

if the only moral imperative is to maximally reduce 'sucky' experiences, the logical conclusion is to end all sentient life

That first point is literwlly plagiarism from Wittgenstein's tractatus

He's literally ripping off the philosophy of the Green brothers.

Greenian ethics. Because suck sucks. Truly profound.

sucky sucky?
youtube.com/watch?v=SbRf67-BSjE

>free agents create events which have a ripple effect but once another free agent enters, they can change the course of the events
Is it hard to understand?

He implies that it is self-evident, which it is.

>tfw you reach a level of mutual imbecility that you can telepathically comprehend extremely ambiguous concepts

pain is arousing and doesn't suck, harris' mum is what sucks lol

t. christian grey

God that song is awful

Reading this truly sucked and it most certainly wasn't worth it. Can we kill Sam Harris now so that we can prevent more chains of tweets that truly suck like this?

>there are no shoulds
>many experiences suck
>therefore, if we SHOULD do anything we should make things suck less
more tweets of this sort pls?

we should put him into the oven then nuke it

>there are no oughts or shoulds
>oh btw, we should avoid things that suck
>it's just self-evident bro

Just another weakling with death anxiety whose only purpose is to live another 100 years. When do we get rid of these people?

There are no "oughts", there are only "is's". And one of those is's is that I don't like suffering. It is a fact about my subject experience that certain experiences just are perceived as bad by me. It's not that i "ought" not to suffer, it's that i don't WANT to suffer. And with a want, I have a goal: don't suffer. And once you have a goal, there are things you ought to do if you want to achieve that goal. I don't see the problem with this.

All you guys get told in first year ethics that there is an is/ought gap and you take it as written in stone as something that can never be questioned.

The irritating thing about so-called "pragmatist" views like this is that they ignore rationality only when it suits them, and otherwise glorify rationality. When philosophy criticizes some of the bases of the reductionist, materialistic, "scientismist" view by pointing out some logical flaws in it, only then do so-called "practical" and "hard-headed" scientists make fun of logic and reason itself (except this time it's "philosophy", the logic and reason behind it for some reason being different than the logic and reason applied to science).

>you have no basis in reason to make this proposition
Well, you're just an air-headed philosopher and I'm just being practical and pragmatic! We don't need your useless philosophical meanderings.
>you are glorifying how much reason and science can teach us about the world and how to lead our lives well
Well, reason is the most important thing!
>but you have no basis in reason to assume your brand of reason/science you favor can do all these things you say it can do
Well, you're just being an airheaded philosopher and I'm just being practical and pragmatic!
etc..

is Harris the king of brainlets?

So... hot stoves suck? should we destroy all stoves?

Not sure what to put in the 2nd column

Nicely begged question you have there.
>the human body is a collection of elementary particles that acts in accordance with the laws of nature
>but I'm free

Just keep it empty

internal contradiction is not nuance

lol

based hegesias podcaster

no wonder he had benatar on, he's secretly a negative hedonist

Really? I thought compatabalism was a compromise between free will and determinism

kek

He doesn't understand process theology.

The only good utilitarian is a dead utilitarian.

>make the world suck less
Comfort = extinction, fuck this anti-white nihilistic jew. Survival and struggle is the only thing which matters in this materialistic world.

pain avoidance is a life preservation strategy silly

needless suffering is just inefficient and evolutionarily unsound.

Utilitarians are all autistic I swear

Fuck off Letzter Mensch

So is suck physical pain? If so then we should imprison Sam Harris for inciting violence, by asking people to burn their hands on a stove, and generally being a net negative for society.

I can get behind his philosophy, in that case.

True. If you could delete with the snap of your fingers everything that suffers (including you), would that be bad? Goodness and badness only exists because we think about it. If we do not exist then there is no moral (or any, for that matter) judgment.

the last men are an evolutionary success. edgelord LARPers who get themselves killed for no reason are not.

We're talking about groups here not individual martyrs fighting for truth, you fucking homo.

>truth
doesnt exist
>he thinks der Letzte Mensch value anything but their comfort

>His species is ineradicable as the flea; the Last Man lives longest.

überfedoras btfo

Nietzsche wrote this in the 19th century:

>It is time for man to fix his goal. It is time for man to plant the seed of his highest hope.
>His soil is still rich enough for it. But that soil will one day be poor and exhausted, and no lofty tree will any longer be able to grow there.
>Alas! there comes the time when man will no longer launch the arrow of his longing beyond man -- and the string of his bow will have unlearned to whiz!
>I tell you: one must still have chaos in oneself, to give birth to a dancing star. I tell you: you have still chaos in yourselves.
>Alas! There comes the time when man will no longer give birth to any star. Alas! There comes the time of the most despicable man, who can no longer despise himself.
>Lo! I show you the Last Man.

If he were to be a around today he would see that that moment has past. We are now in Last Man territory for good. Something he would welcome, ultimately.

>the leveling process of European man is the great process which should not be checked: one should even accelerate it.

NEUTRAL MONISM
E
U
T
R
A
L

M
O
N
I
S