GOD IS DEAD?

This always confused me on what it means, the most simple lame-mans answer being that there is no god but if you read Neichze you know this is not the case. So does it mean that its death of god being seen as moral or just or saying that people don't god to be good?

Its about the fact we lost any foundational basis for our morality and value systems of which God was the essential core.
To state that God is dead is to emphasize that its very much a loss in the most literal of senses, its not simply that God doesn't exist but that this operating principle of all meaning is now gone from our lives.

This book analyses it pretty well.
Everyone should read Peter Watson.

It means the idea of God no longer has any reality for western man. It's "dead".

Looks pathetically middlebrow

"God is dead" is essentially a way of saying that religion is no longer the most powerful force in the world.
And without that giant force people have no other option but to reconcile their own personal sense of morality.

>the most simple lame-mans answer being that there is no god but if you read Neichze you know this is not the case
hmm

It means this:

>The Madman.Have you ever heard of the madman who on a bright morning lighted a lantern and ran to the market-place calling out unceasingly: "I seek God! I seek God!" - As there were many people standing about who did not believe in God, he caused a great deal of amusement. Why! is he lost? said one. Has he strayed away like a child? said another. Or does he keep himself hidden? Is he afraid of us? Has he taken a sea-voyage? Has he emigrated? - the people cried out laughingly, all in a hubbub. The insane man jumped into their midst and transfixed them with his glances. " Where is God gone?" he called out. "I mean to tell you! We have killed him, - you and I! We are all his murderers! But how have we done it? How were we able to drink up the sea? Who gave us the sponge to wipe away the whole horizon? What did we do when we loosened this earth from its sun? Whither does it now move? Whither do we move? Away from all suns? Do we not dash on unceasingly? Backwards, sideways, forewards, in all directions? Is there still an above and below? Do we not stray, as through infinite nothingness? Does not empty space breathe upon us? Has it not become colder? Does not night come on continually, darker and darker? Shall we not have to light lanterns in the morning? Do we not hear the noise of the grave-diggers who are burying God? Do we not smell the divine putrefaction? - for even Gods putrefy! God is dead! God remains dead! And we have killed him!

>How shall we console ourselves, the most murderous of all murderers? The holiest and the mightiest that the world has hitherto possessed, has bled to death under our knife, - who will wipe the blood from us? With what water could we cleanse ourselves? What lustrums, what sacred games shall we have to devise? Is not the magnitude of this deed too great for us? Shall we not ourselves have to become Gods, merely to seem worthy of it? There never was a greater event, - and on account of it, all who are born after us belong to a higher history than any history hitherto!" - Here the madman was silent and looked again at his hearers; they also were silent and looked at him in surprise. At last he threw his lantern on the ground, so that it broke in pieces and was extinguished. "I come too early," he then said, "I am not yet at the right time. This prodigious event is still on its way, and is travelling, - it has not yet reached men’s ears. Lightning and thunder need time, the light of the stars needs time, deeds need time, even after they are done, to be seen and heard. This deed is as yet further from them than the furthest star, - and yet they have done it!"

> It is further stated that the madman made his way into different churches on the same day, and there intoned his Requiem aeternam deo. When led out and called to account, he always gave the reply: "What are these churches now, if they are not the tombs and monuments of God?"

People are good most of the time cause of the instinct called empathy and golden rule; realizing that being a respectful person leads to the highest odds of you yourself living a good life, being a cunt gets you killed/unhappy/alone.

There's no such thing as divine morality. People only follow that which is already natural to humanity.

It's a book "reviewing" secularist thinkers and inventors.
Title is more like read bait.

there are a lot of bad people in the world, and they do not believe in God. If they truly knew of God they would not be bad. One cannot know of God and be bad.

>"God is dead" is essentially a way of saying that religion is no longer the most powerful force in the world.

People are only good (indifferent is the more accurate word) because Industrial Capitalism has ensured a certain bedrock of material comfort that takes away most motivation for ill action. Historically people were nowhere near mostly good when it actually mattered. Infact they were extremely often horrendously cruel

>One cannot know of God and be bad.
So most religions didn't really knew God for most of the human history.

This is an excellent value-free summary.

This is pure shit because user sneaks in his little individualist feel-good "no other option but to reconcile their own personal sense of morality" which is basically interpreting the phrase to mean that we are now free to be decadent (and of course user is also unaware that his personal morality/decadence probably directly descends from the morality of that God which supposedly died).

The rest of the thread is inbetween these in quality. We have to go back to the man himself to make sure we don't miss anything: >With what water could we cleanse ourselves? What lustrums, what sacred games shall we have to devise? Is not the magnitude of this deed too great for us? Shall we not ourselves have to become Gods, merely to seem worthy of it?
So clearly the death of God is not an excuse to just do whatever your 'personal morality' (itself just a minor mutation of God's morality) feels like, we have to become worthy of this murder.

How to become worthy? I think it means we have to become good, on that scale between good and bad. Only then are we worthy of destroying that system of good and evil that was supported by God.

>in order to destroy the system of good and evil that no longer exists because god is dead we must become good

Maybe I'm wrong, but this makes no damn sense.

And I'm pretty sure what Nietzsche is referring to when he says we must become gods to seem worthy of killing god is just the ubermensch, which is not simply a person who has "become good".
I mean you do realize we are talking about a person who literally wrote a book called "Beyond Good and Evil" here.

if you quoted the entire paragraph of what i wrote instead of cutting me short, you would have answered your own question instead of looking like a revolting subhuman.

>One day you will finally experience true and eternal peace from the nightmare of reality.

Heaven awaits in the oblivious endless blood black void.

define respectful. without God, empathy means respecting the normal, and the normal shifts faster and faster and faster every year because we have nothing to tether it to.

God was never real in the first place.

>without God, empathy means respecting the normal
That's quite the leap in logic m8

>correspondence theory of truth

>power theory of truth

A thousand times this.

empathy is considering the perspective of others and acting in a way that helps their situation or at the very least does not harm them. Helping or harming are vague verbs that depend on social norms. Norms change all the time in a globalist technological society that has no codified morals.

>Has no codified morals
I hate this dumb meme.
The fact that we are getting more ""progressive"" doesn't mean that there aren't no codified morals. Use your brain.

>become good
no embrace your Evil

if you quoted the entire paragraph of what i wrote instead of cutting me short, you would have answered your own question instead of looking like a revolting subhuman.

why shouldn't that natural goodness be divine?

stfu ya dope

He's proclaiming the death of every immutable

>Historically people were nowhere near mostly good when it actually mattered.
They were in their eyes.
If you all believe this guy you're about to sacrifice will go to heaven, etc. Or that abortion after week 16 is fine.
There's also the obvious point that we are "designed" to be slightly hostile to strangers.

Hi icycalm