What does Veeky Forums think of E-book Readers?

Do you guys rate them? I prefer the feel of an actual book with paper pages but I have 100s of PDFs and ePubs downloaded that I want to get round to reading but I don't want to read them on my laptop.
Also what are some good recommendations in terms of buying one?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/All-New-Kindle-Oasis-reader-Built-/dp/B06XD5YCKX?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIOIL6HT4RMUFB3AA&tag=p00935-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B06XD5YCKX&ascsubtag=c6e04702-ebcd-4746-8550-eae0e4f98839
us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-aura-one?utm_source=Kobo&utm_medium=TopNav&utm_campaign=Aura ONE
us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-aura-one-limited-edition?utm_source=Kobo&utm_medium=TopNav&utm_campaign=Kobo Aura ONE Limited Edition
us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-aura-h2o-edition-2?utm_source=Kobo&utm_medium=TopNav
youtu.be/Zbv-MpokrC4?t=93
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

protip: if you're buying anything but one of the kobo models with the adjustable light temperature screen, you may as well fellate the chinks or jeff bezos directly

>ePubs
Use Calibre to convert them to .mobi

>Also what are some good recommendations in terms of buying one?
Anything from Amazon (Kindle) or Kobo

I was skeptical at first but after having one for a year there's no comparison.
I only paid 80 euros for my kobo glo and it was well worth it since I would have paid well over 80 for the books I have read on ir

I like it because there is too many books you can't find in conventional libraries. For example, i'm brazillian and here it's too hard to find some books, so i just download the epubs and read on my e-reader. It helps me a lot.

Sorry for my bad english

I want one that has no backlit blue-light so I can read at night without harming my melatonin production.

>Use Calibre to convert them to .mobi
Thanks user

>I would have paid well over 80 for the books I have read on ir
Yeah that makes sense. Either you spend $150 on a reader or $1000s on multiple books.

>Sorry for my bad english
-there are* too many books
Thanks user

I'm thinking of looking at buying this: amazon.com/All-New-Kindle-Oasis-reader-Built-/dp/B06XD5YCKX?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIOIL6HT4RMUFB3AA&tag=p00935-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B06XD5YCKX&ascsubtag=c6e04702-ebcd-4746-8550-eae0e4f98839

The waterproofing seems like a good feature

Don't insult Jeff Bezos, he's /our guy/

kobo aura one/limited edition
us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-aura-one?utm_source=Kobo&utm_medium=TopNav&utm_campaign=Aura ONE
us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-aura-one-limited-edition?utm_source=Kobo&utm_medium=TopNav&utm_campaign=Kobo Aura ONE Limited Edition
or
the NEW kobo aura h20
us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-aura-h2o-edition-2?utm_source=Kobo&utm_medium=TopNav

behold the nice screen
youtu.be/Zbv-MpokrC4?t=93

>The waterproofing seems like a good feature
How often do you read in the water?

You can turn the backlight off dingus

If you don't have a waterproof Kindle how would you?

ziploc

Brilliant, thanks mate

I always want to read in the bath but I don't for fear of getting my books wet

Kek

Quick Veeky Forums
What's your favorite font

Does any type of PDF work on these e-readers or do they need to be the specific type when you can highlight the text? I have many PDFs that are just scanned copies of books, would these work?

Bookerly

I actually tried reading in the shower with my Kindle Voyage in a ziplock bag. Needless to say, it was not a very successful endeavour.

is there an alternative to the mirc bookz channel< I feel like I still use the 2012 way

>needless to say
then why say it u fgt

I was thinking of buying one myself either a Kindle or Kobo. friend at work talked me into this when I mentioned I've run out of space to store my books while still feeling temptation to buy more. The problem is I'm full of /g/ autism so I'm worried about problems with sideloading epub files or how the software on the reader will treat them. Is it true that Kindles put any side-loaded epubs in a folder called "my documents" away from it's list of books? I have a general hatred of restrictive '''ecosystems''' and, now that I mention it, Amazon in general.

I don't mind being surrounded by books but it's getting disorganized. I have stray books everywhere and not a lot of space. Fortunately I have /g/ autism so I love doing things on computers. oh, and if Kobo has an RSS reader that would be fantastic.

Maybe she's a mermaid who has ruined one too many books reading in the bathtub? waterproof ereader would be a real godsend to a mermaid bookworm.

>she
Did you just assume my gender you fucking bigot?

that isn't a funny joke

I read in the bath quite often. I've dropped a couple books in too.

Beautiful. Hope all e-readers are as nice as that looks when I next upgrade. My Paperwhite is fine for now, but I do love the look of that form factor.

Yes but after you open it once in a PDF reader its like right there.

By "right there" you mean listed with whatever ebooks I would have bought in Amazon's plantation?

For $20 more than a Kindle Paperwhite I could get a Kobo and not have to worry about converting ebooks into Amazon format. I'am also hoping to be able to use the e-reader without having to provide a user account. I bought a Kindle Fire once nothing refuse to do anything without an Amazon account and it ran incredibly slow. After I flashed CyanogenMod, it was as if are using a tablet that cost twice as much terrible screen aside. Whoever is responsible for Fire OS should commit sudoku.

So what you're saying is that the Kobo doesn't require you to have an account and you can transfer your own PDFs onto it without having to buy any books from a store?

Yep. Just plug in with usb and drag and drop files onto it.

That's great! You just sold it for me

No, I was saying I would hope it would function without an account. I'm from /g/ so I find that kind of thing very offencive.

>buy physical copies
>take photos on your phone of an estimate of how many pages you will read while out or at work, etc.
>can keep a book forever and take it on the go
>don't look weird with a kindle or whatever, just another person staring at a phone

That's pretty autistic user

Why though

Use your phone.

>People who do things in the bath
Fucking idiots just bathe and move on.

How are you meant to know exactly how many pages you want to read for a start. Also reading for long periods of time on your phone is a strain on your eyes and just plain annoying. Plus your phone memory will be taken up by picture of pages... Why do Kindles look weird anyway? It's just as weird to be looking at any other type of device if you think about it.

Why not bathe and read?

Take pictures of 50 pages for let's say a 6 hour shift so get decent amount of reading in between doing shit, read a page delete it, rinse and repeat, you don't take up data on phone that way, have blue light filter on phone so it doesn't strain my eyes terribly, and don't have too carry around a fat tablet.

>default font fags
kys if you're not sideloading fonts

The kindle is better. You can put everything in the documents folder and arrange it however you wish. It parses the entire thing. You cann also sideload fonts.

this has to be a troll

hate them

Never thought anything bad about them, just that they are unnecessary and people buy them for show. But I borrowed brother's Kindle and it's pretty great, reading is somehow easier and faster. I read two books in a week which I haven't done since high school.
I was disappointed with how hard it is to find certain books to download, even if they are just trashy crime novels. Maybe I am looking at the wrong places, can anyone recommend a site?

i mean pirate those books, i know you can buy them anytime.

forum mobilism org books

>forum mobilism org books
thank you so much user

I have a Kobo Aura One and I'm very content with it. Easier to handle and read than a normal book and since it's waterproof I can bring it with me anywhere without worrying.

God damn, that's beautiful.
Is the light tint a firmware fix or hardware? i.e. can I get it on my original Aura or do I need to upgrade.
Might be worth the upgrade...

I used to consider waterproof an irrelevant point but after almost killing one due to humidity and the risk of water at the beach/pool I can see how it's an attractive feature.

Library Genesis

Colombian here, same problem. My paperwhite is filled with otherwise unfindable (or extremely expensive) books.

Convert them only if you have a Kindle, don't convert them to mobi but AZW3 instead

If you have a kindle DON'T convert your epub files into mobi. Convert them to azw3 (same as epub but for kindles) and then the files will show up like normal books.

Personally I don't like them because all the girls on public transport can't see the cover of the book I am reading so what is the point?

they will work but you won't be able to resize the font in the reader itself.
Depending on the size of the font it may be difficult to read.

Source: I have a kindle on which i read some of the D&D Dungeon master book which was originally in a scanned pdf format.

All pdfs i tried on my kindle were unreadable

>-there are* too many books
This is true . . .
but
>There's too many books
is also correct

I convert them to mobi and they show right there.
I just use calibre

use k2pdfopt to convert pdfs to kindle

Garamond Premier Pro and ITC Galliard

Mine works without an account, I never even used any of amazon's software or had to log in, I just pasted shit from my computer to the kindle drive. Now I use Calibri and it's even easier tbqh

>so I can read at night without harming my melatonin production
faggot

Fahrenheit 451 just looks better on a digital screen.

If wanting balanced sleep makes me a faggot fucking sign me up then

I actually browse Veeky Forums on my kobo which is a weird kind of comfy. Installing koreader is the first thing you should do for really customizable/configurable display of pdfs. I got mine to do my readings for my lecture classes, koreader also has a pretty handy highlighting feature for pdfs and intext dictionary/Wikipedia integration. Would definitely recommend if you're tired of always staring at your phone right before bed, it's a good way to more naturally progress to sleep

But what about images? it's not the full Veeky Forums experience (tm) without seeing people's reaction images and saving what I like along the way.

Since you have a Kobo does it have an RSS reader? That's a pretty big deal for me.

This is legit autism.

Look into how easy it is to jailbreak the devices first. Kindle paperwhites are currently can't, unless you have an old firmware on it; and it's likely any one you buy will be reset and updated to the current firmware.

I have a Kobo Aura H20 and I drop epubs from b-ok and libgen straight into the device via usb plug. It's fantastic, the entire process takes a minute

This appeals to me greatly. Can't wait to read Mein Kampf.

Why was that? Too small font? Or did they just not open?

Ahh okay that makes sense.

I think of buying an ereader every few months and never end up pulling the trigger. I really like physical books, both just they feel nice to read, but also, even if its a bit vapid, there's something nice about getting to add them to a shelf once I'm done with them. The main thing stopping me from actually getting an ereader, to be honest, is that I'm worried I'd end up just reading physical copies and never using it.