Practicing what you Preach

How the fuck do I live up to my beliefs and philosophies? It is like one minute i'm in full-enlightenment mode and the next fucking day I am caring about the same shit I declared irrelevant to my life. It's as if I cannot reprogram my brain to be significantly influenced by my rational thinking.

I sound pathetic, I know.

I want to become a preacher, am I allowed to practice for it?

haha very funny first reply very clever fpbp 10/10 you have won the internet today no fucks were given that day epic

Bump, I feel you op

Read the Nicomachean Ethics

>Idolatry comes from the fact that, while thirsting for absolute good, we do not possess the power of supernatural attention and we have not the patience to allow it to develop.
>Lacking idols, it often happens that we have to labour every day, or nearly every day, in the void. We cannot do so without supernatural bread. Idolatry is thus a vital necessity in the cave. Even with the best of us it is inevitable that it should set narrow limits for mind and heart.

you don't have to practice what you preach, you idiot. if Hunter Thompson had done this, he would have been dead by the age of thirty.

Tell me if I interpreted this correctly.

My lack of action to follow through with my ideals is part of the growing process of my mind. I shouldn't dwell on it, but allow myself to naturally come into place with what I believe.

Not exactly. Your ideas haven't fully liberated/detached you from "irrelevant" things because you do not have the power to labor without them, "in the void." After all, these "irrelevant" things are ways that you naturally fill the voids in your life. The quote suggests that to labor with these voids intact, without your imagination looking for ways to fill them, you must fill them with something else, "supernatural bread."

Makes sense

Could you be any more vague about what your beliefs actually are?

Clean your room OP

you must connect your low level with high level through the power of memory palace. use your mind like an imageboard

most """beliefs""" and """philosophies""" are incompatible with reality and practice. I suggest injecting pragmatism into your thinking.

also, it's just a matter of training/indoctrinating your brain. just set up a routine.

Be silent.

Stoics had it all: exercise. Everything is a challenge and an occasion to make good habits win over bad habits. You condition yourself, one step at the time. You start from little things and ascend to big things. You create good habits, and add a little more every day so that you progress.
Put yourself under siege. Be at war with yourself.

For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

You just gotta keep trying until following virtue is a habit.

Although if you're own chosen philosophy is giving you consternation you may need to reevaluate.

Don't label yourself a particular thing, modern day stoics are the worst at this. Take what works for you from the philosophies you have read and do that. It's easier to following something if you chose it to begin with.

Veeky Forums - literature
why do you sad little fuckers post this shit here?
/r9k/ was made for you
get away from my door and my window too

You preach what you practice

Maybe you should stop trying to force yourself to adopt beliefs and philosophies that you don't truly believe?

Either that or just accept your mind as compartmentalized and disjoint.