>When a book uses the F-word

yeah I hate olde english swashbuckler novels too

Badiou's rewrite of The Republic.
>discusses shaved pussy
F-

lewd

>getting annoyed at the entire point of a book

I'd be disapointed if it was anything less

I once wrote a passage that used as much vulgar language as possible to deliberately present an obstacle to more tender-eared readers. The passage was about a painter's reaction to abstract art that was deliberately made to be inaccessible to people without the education to comment on it and the smug sense of satisfaction that came with shutting out an entire group of people from appreciating something by locking them out behind inaccessibility.

I get it.

I hope you don't mean to imply there is some inherent wrongness with not making your material as accessable as humanly possible.

Not necessarily, but there is a sort of cultural linguistic drift happening between the social classes as a result. It's easiest to point out in the adaptation from book to film and television, but it's present in many places.

Translating epics is hard sometimes, because they have an incredibly beautiful, elevated register, syntax, and meter in the original language, even when talking about vulgar things, and this may be hard to preserve in translation. For instance, in the Odyssey there's some scenes where they talk about ripping a guy's nuts off. Where do you strike up the balance between calling it "bowels" or "intestines" as some more old-timey translators bowdlerized it, or just straight-up calling it "balls" like a modern translator?

In this case, "excrement" is a very nice latinate word which still preserves the high register, but it might not have the forceful, even vulgar impact that Dante may have wanted and which we can best approximate with "shit". Overall, this translation isn't really the worst of modern translations that deliberately make things overly informal and just as removed from the intent of the original poem as overly bowdlerized and/or overly and deliberately archaic translations are (although deliberate archaism is sometimes justified and can be well-done for translations, in my opinion).

lol

when Linda Jaivin consistently spells it "fucken"

fucken this

fucken that

fucken... everything.

What about the N-word?

It depends if it's character-driven or narrative driven. Character (okay):

>Wojak stood in the aisle of the supermarket, his gaze drawn to two beautiful college girls looking at the store's selection of organic lettuce. After a few seconds of trepidation, Wojak walked up to them. "H-h-hi, so do you cook?" (What kind of a pickup line is that? Wojak thought to himself). "Get a load of this manlet," said one of the girls. "Yeah, fuck off, creep," the other said. Wojak sighed as they hurried off.

Narrative (Wrong)
>Feeling slighted, Wojak went after them, though safe, at a distance. For example, as they went off toward the meats department, Wojak pretended to be interested in a wedge of smoked gouda. He didn't understand why they ran away. After all, Chad was probably fucking them every other night.

Its Mandelbaum, which by far is my favorite. I have one by Kirkpatrick and Sayers, but they don't read as nicely. I think Mandelbaum put a little extra humor in the comedies.

>when a book set in a modern setting doesn't use modern vernacular or dialogic that's unrealistic

To be clear, are we talking about "fuck" or "faggot"?

Educated people should push the boundaries of human knowledge and understanding without any concern for how "accessable" it is.
I don't consider myself in that eschelon, by the way, so I'm not just egotistical.

This. (Are you the user writing the wojak/pepe story?)

>the _-word
Why do people feel the need to do this?

No, I was the user saying that if you were to do something like that, DON'T actually call them Wojak and Pepe and stay away from the memes.

France