/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

SFFriends Edition
>What's your favorite SFF friendship/group dynamic?
>Who are the best SFF battle brothers?
>What non-romantic friendship plot elements do you want to see more of?

FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries:
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dW8efme5eSU&t=7386
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Comfy OP image user

sanderfag a hack

3rd for anyone who rolls trips in this thread must read all four liber chaotica before ever touching another book again.

Russian cover of "Borne" by Jeff Vandermeer.

boph

Recommend me some books based on pic related, bruhs.

John Carter of Mars
Space Viking
Dune
The Book of the New Sun

I didn't say stop.

>In some respects Space Viking feels like Robert E. Howard in space, almost.
Aaaaaaaand I'm sold. Even an 'almost' Robert E. Howard in space sounds sexy as fuck and that's kinda what I've been looking for. Would you agree with that comparison though if you've read it?

Posting.

I started reading a couple of days ago and had to stop myself before I got to far. Maybe 3 weeks for 150 pages was a little to much.

What's your opinion on the Powder Mage trilogy?

>What's your favorite SFF friendship/group dynamic?
The dynamic between Severian, Baldanders, Dr Talos, Jolenta and Dorcas.
>Who are the best SFF battle brothers?
This is coming from many years ago but I really liked Nathaniel and Bartimaeus in The Bartimaeus Trilogy.
>What non-romantic friendship plot elements do you want to see more of?
Degenerate, non-romantic sex for the sole purpose of pleasure.

Eh, it's best to have too much time than not enough. That way if life distracts you there's no worry.

I can see it, although Space Viking is really enough its own beast that I think "REH in Space" is going too far. Read it anyway, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

A good concept with middling execution and declining quality in the sequels.

>That way if life distracts you there's no worry
Yeah true.

>declining quality in the sequels
What series does not actually get worse as it progress? BotNS is literally the only one I can think of.

I just finished Echopraxia's audiobook.

Did I enjoy it?

I just finished The Shadow Of The Torturer, The Claw Of The Councilator, and am Maybe 75% or less through The Sword Of The Lictor. Kinda feeling the burnout. Do you guys ever take a short break in-between books? Thanks whoever mentioned this series. I wrote it down and finally got around to it.

It wasn't as good as Blindsight, but it passed the time. also

>audio "books"

>Do you guys ever take a short break in-between books?
Yes. Especially if I read something demanding, like BotNS. I usually read some pulp, short stories or comics to relax.

In what way is it demanding? Could you explain please? Maybe it will help me understand why I can't bring myself to finish it yet.

The complex prose and frequent use of archaic words for example. Especially as English is my second language, I often had to reread passages to make sure that I had understood correctly.

Childhood is reading Blindsight and enjoying it.
Adulthood is reaching Echopraxia and hating it but admiring it as the superior tome.

Why do you desire such things? Are they good?

Roll trips and find out.

Undying Mercenaries
Ready player one

I am very stressed from work right now /sffg/. When I reach home, my brain is too tired for reading anything too hard. I want no Mervyn Peake or Gene Wolfe.

Can you suggest some light high fantasy reading, /sffg/? Of course, light doesn't mean trashy. I want to read something like The Hobbit, Edge Chronicles, it doesn't have to be light hearted, but not really looking for something too bleak either.

If my post is too confusing, please ask

Morningstar by David Gemmell

elric

>Undying Mercenaries
Read all those already.

>Ready player one
Fuck you.

YOU
JUST
KNOW

Afterwards, about 4/5ths into the book it gets a little, but not much, more interesting as they start building a fuckhuge space fortress, that can fit the twin towers inside and have space to spare . But he just takes too long explaining things we don't want to know about and it feels like we wouldn't loose anything if he just skipped a few years ahead. Meanwhile, the interesting stuff, like the different kind of aliens, exploration and diplomacy gets forgotten. I hope things start happening soon, instead of preparing to happen soon.

I still need something to read, boys. I don't think I'm going to go with Time Enough for Love. I mainly like Methuselah's Children for the exploration and character interaction, and the Bibliotik blurb mentioned Heinlein arguing through Lazarus his views on sexual freedom. Is it as bad as Clarke? I have atypical views on sex anyway and don't care for it to be shoved in my face regardless.

Throw titles at me. I haven't read any cheesy generic fantasy in a while either but I'm not sure what I would even want.

>are they good
It depends on how much of a fan of 40k you are, and how much terrible writing you are willing to overlook for it.

Give me the fucking trips.

Chronicles of Amber

Time Enough for Love is basically a big mess of barely-connected episodes. Some of them are quite good; many of them are silly. The worst parts of the book are practically fetish fanfics. Heinlein pushes his sexual views WAY harder than Clarke in general, if you didn't like Clarke doing it then you'll hate Time Enough.

If you liked Heinlein, read Starship Troopers, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and Stranger in a Strange Land, in that order.

I'm a fan of The Golden Age, if you want something more modern.

Already, gone through it. Isn't high fantasy anyway

I think The Lord of the Rings maintains its quality. So does the Three Body Problem trilogy, for something more recent.

There are two different reasons for series decline IMO, both related to the author not having a clear vision. One is authors losing interest or outright going senile; on a long enough timeline this happens to every series.

The other is new authors publishing the first volume before they've actually figured out what they're trying to say, then fumbling because they're noobs. As much hate as Harry Potter gets, this is something Rowling mostly managed to avoid and look where it got her. I blame editors for this, they shouldn't be publishing incomplete series by unproven authors. It's incredible that they do this, actually.

Chronicles of Drizzt, I read them as a kid but several anonymous internet posters say they've held up pretty well. Sanderson sounds like he fits the bill too maybe, but I've never read him,.

Oathbringer was shit.

Webnovels are novels too

Any supernatural comedy horrors like John Dies at the End?
I need my fix.

bOPHA DEEZ NUTS!

This is the combat maid tank platoon of protection from trips curses. Their presence in a thread automatically cancels out the Chaotic forces compelling anons to read Warhammer books of any setting.

Needs a panel about assaulting a Border Patrol agent.

>Yo dah, I puffed his ass
>mkay

Anybody know the source for the image? Havent' been able to find anything.

Apparently it's this Brazilian mecha RPG setting called Brigada Ligeira Estelar.

ah alright ill look into this thnx yo

What the fuck was Portia's problem?

>Wanting me to get in an FT-17
These bitches do not have my best interest in mind.

>FT-17
Agreed

Glad I'm not getting tr*ips.

If you mean today, sure, but in 1917 you could do a lot worse.

Kingkiller Chronicle author Patrick Rothfuss about Doors of Stone:
>If you want the book to come out faster, help me impeach Trump!
youtube.com/watch?v=dW8efme5eSU&t=7386

>SO WHAT IM SAAAYING

I hate this cunt so much. I cant watch any video of him more like two seconds

/λιτ/ give me a good long scifi book to read .

Can anyone recommend me some books with scheming protagonists, especially scifi because I'm less likely to have read them?

I read the Luna books expecting this and they're good but it's really not what they're about

Isn't this the whole idea of the Cain books? Heroes Die is the first one but I haven't read enough to confirm

Try the charts. If you have a specific theme you want it's easier to recommend something.

i realy like multygenerational books like one hundred years of solitude.I just want to be imersed in a single world for a long time .

what are some good books after my lotr phase!

Was Oathbringer better than Words of Radiance?

Don't read post-Tolkien yet, it'll color your perceptions. Read The Worm Oroborous, The King of Elfland's Daughter, and The Broken Sword.

Yes. WoR was just an extension of WoK, Oathbringer expanded the scope and moved on from the Shattered Plains unfortunately making it more generic Sanderson but there you go.

Is there a decent way to show a character discovering they can use magic while at the same time believing its a hallucination?

>go looking for a fun YA fantasy book from December or January
>99% of it is feminist power fantasy garbage

I just want something like Green Angel Tower. Is that too much to ask?

some kind of magical thinking reversal.

Solomon Kane.

Hell, any Robert E Howard

Sounds like someone under the assumption they're lucid dreaming when, in reality, he ir she really did set his or her boss on fire with pyrokinesis.

There's Children of Time, spans a long length of time. Personally, I found it good up to 2/3 of the book, didn't like the ending very much.
The Foundation Trilogy also does this, it's pretty good and it's a classic.

>kimleesoong
was jonas a 2nd gen kpop cyborg?

Should I read house of leaves? Is it really as creepy/good as people say?

You enjoyed library at mount char, yet you don't want to anime it up with house of blades.

Worth a read if you want babies first pomo

Have them pulling overtime for a few weeks and drop to sleep in their office chair.
Have them wake up and their office, hands and clothes are on fire, but they are not burning nor in pain. They think it's a dream and goes back to sleep.
Wakes up in a hospital without a burn, when the entire building was razed.
Police questions, etc, do your magic author click clacking.

Shit could be changed for medieval or country life.

>Is there a decent way to show a character discovering they can use magic while at the same time believing its a hallucination?
this is like the whole plot of thomas covenant lol

I would recommend Undying Mercenaries since the protag is ALWAYS scheming, but it's pretty much straight up pulp (which is a good thing).

This. Pretty crazy how creative fantasy was pre-Tolkien and how uncreative it became post-Tolkien and still remains.

Moth and Cobweb series by John C. Wright.

I read the first book and then got kinda bored with the second because I found Larson's newer series more interesting.
got to the point where he discovers the other humans when I stopped

Need to get back into it, if only because I can't remember a single thing that happened in the other series so I can't go back to that

I really enjoyed the latest book. It goes full, unapologetic pulp; particularly at the end.

Thanks for the giggles user.

>trips

You already know what you must do.

French maids in French tanks are in this thread, user. You have no power.

Why don't you tip your fedora then kys.

Based dinosaurs working this millennial soyboy into a shoot.

>69 pages
Should I?

>r-remember guys! if you're a true science fiction fan you should be helping the catholic church protect priests from feminazi SJWs who hate child rape! spock told me he's a catholic!

Never go full soy.

You're not helping your case.

>french

Surrender monkeys protect you from no one.

Fuck off retard.

Awful close there, user. You don't want to get hoist by your own petard (that's french for getting trapped by your own scheme).

>the dynamic between severian bladanders dr talos jolenta dorcas
i didnt really like it honestly. i dont understand jolenta at all or the relationship between baldanders and dr talos. its very confusing. dorcas is almost a non character and severian might as well be a lump of wood that somehow gets whatever he wants. im only half way through though so maybe it gets better. i dont see how since they split but who knows.

the dark elf trilogy. ra salvatore is great for that.

Reminder that Michael Moorcock isn't actually dead yet