Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums,

how do you feel about gifting/being gifted second hand books? Obviously I don't mean buying second hand and gifting that, but buying it for yourself (or being gifted), liking it and passing it on as a gift to someone else.

I feel like there's this stigma against gifting second hand items, but I see books as one of the perfect items to gift second handed. Most people I know never read a book a second time, so usually it just sits in a bookcase for all eternity.

It seems odd to me to buy a new book to gift if you already have a copy that's in a good state and isn't going to be read again.

It depends on the recipient, really. If the recipient normally purchases used books, then it'll be okay. It would also depend on whether you gift it casually or formally—the latter where you wrap it up and then gift it for a birthday or for Christmas.

If it's for Christmas, Birthday, etc and this is their main present then it's bad. If you're simply gifting it because you thought they'd like it then its great.

Obviously it depend on the condition of the book. But as long as it's in a good condition I prefer it to getting a new book.

Not only is it not wasteful but the giver have read and enjoyed the book and if I also like it I'll have someone to discuss it with.

As a bit more context as to what made me ask this, my sister gave a book to a family member for christmas earlier. She mentioned really enjoying it and thought that person would also enjoy it. I noticed there seemed to be some minor scuffing on the cover and a slight bend in the spine, which made me think it was the copy she had read. When my dad mentioned buying the book twice to me, I told him I thought she had gifted the copy she read and he mentioned something along the lines of "your sister would never gift something second hand".

so you guys wouldn't like to get one on a gifting occasion even if it's in good condition? What do you have against it? Is it merely that you think the person is cheaping out by giving second hand or is it something more?

I wouldn't mind it myself, but others might. It's a gift, you know? What do you have to complain about?

Some people equate their self-worth with how much you spend on them.

Im completely fine with gifting and being gifted second hand books

It doesnt make any difference and anyone who disagrees should be shot

/thread

>Obviously I don't mean buying second hand and gifting that
I wasn't aware that this is an issue? Depending on the book or my relationship with the person, I'll buy second hand with the express intent to gift it.

I'm the "always gives books" friend, so people expect it from me, anyway. If I don't know if they'll like it, or I'm giving them something strange, then definitely a second hand book. They don't have to feel bad about tossing it, and second hand books are fun anyway, because they've got a history. But if I buy second hand, then I usually give them a couple books to sort of balance it out if it's too ratty.

Me and my friends are all poorfags, so that probably comes into it too.

If I don't really know the person then I give them a book that looks nice.

My "emergency present" as in "I just heard there's going to be a party an hour ago and I have to leave in ten minutes" is to just dig through my bookshelf and grab something that isn't utter trash.

Gift isn’t a verb

I want to give everyone a copy of The Prince and other writings personally annotated by yours truly.

yes it is?
"she's going to gift him that"

I love it. My dad gets me a neat first edition as a gift every year. How else would i get them?

The Prince is a satire.

Which makes it even more legitimate.

Honestly, pseuds these days

The paper and ink is not what holds value in a book

It really depends.
>does it actually correspond to interests and age level
>is it in good condition (no big water damage, stains, markings)
Had some books for Xmas last year that violated those categories...

tl;dr Used books are worth it and get a bad rap, you'll just wear em' down anyway.

For the longest time I did not purchase any used books whatsoever. This past fall I was browsing a Goodwill and came across several books I'd been wanting to read. Initially I didn't want to grab them due to some cosmetic damage, but eventually relented. It was certainly worth it in the end as I've now enjoyed several great books I'd otherwise not purchase due to larger price tags. In addition, visiting other used book outlets have opened me to literature that I would not have known or gone out of my way to purchase were it not for their low cost and availability.

Used bookstores are only good for purloining books. Never spend money there

It doesn’t bother me as long as there are no notes scribbled in the margins and the binding/spine/pages are in good shape. i don’t mind scuffs, bends, stains, small tears. only things that render the book unpresentable, illegible or dysfunctional anger me

Give*

no

I do nasty shit to books before selling them back to the book store. I saw a teenage girl looking at a copy of the picture of dorian gray and she bought it, so i bought a copy of the importance of being earnest. I didn’t even read it. I wiped my cum all over it. Looking at it, you can’t tell that there is cum on it but there is quite a bit of cum on it. So i took it back to the book store and got $1.50 for it. I started going to the book store everyday at 3:00pm and finally, the girl who bought a picture of dorian grey showed up and sure enough, she went straight to the “W” section of the literature shelf, grabbed the copy of the importance of being earnest that i wiped my cum on and bought it.

I'm not even surprised