What is the one book that had the most impact on your life, practically?

What is the one book that had the most impact on your life, practically?

the bible

Ironically this

my diary desu

Dino Buzzati, the tartar steppe

Still on my shelf

Thus Spoke Zarathustra. I picked it up as a teenager, as one does, and realized that I understood nothing.
That's when I started with the Greeks and now I'm here.

>That's when I started with the Greeks
But... you clearly started with neech

Da fuck

lol

Kek this has happened to many

The Quran

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. Turned me from a bookish kid to a bookish kid that was also obsessed with the outdoors.

the power of one. It's about a white kid growing up in South Africa in the 1940s. I've read it probably 3-4 times and probably will keep rereading it. For some reason, this book inspires me to be more. Through the book I've also developed a romantic love for South Africa even though I've never been there.

the power of one. It's about a white kid growing up in South Africa in the 1940s. I've read it probably 3-4 times and probably will keep rereading it. For some reason, this book inspires me to be more. Through the book I've also developed a romantic love for South Africa even though I've never been there. I plan to visit someday.

the power of one. It's about a white kid growing up in South Africa in the 1940s. I've read it probably 3-4 times and probably will keep rereading it. For some reason, this book inspires me to be more. Through the book I've also developed a romantic love for South Africa even though I've never been there. I plan to visit someday. Even if it costs me everything.

How many more times are you going to post this?

THE POWER OF ONE. IT'S ABOUT A WHITE KID GROWING UP IN SOUTH AFRICA IN THE 1940S. I'VE READ IT PROBABLY 3-4 TIMES AND PROBABLY WILL KEEP REREADING IT. FOR SOME REASON, THIS BOOK INSPIRES ME TO BE MORE. THROUGH THE BOOK I'VE ALSO DEVELOPED A ROMANTIC LOVE FOR SOUTH AFRICA EVEN THOUGH I'VE NEVER BEEN THERE.

Illustrated Gardening

Thus Spake Zarathustra

how old are you

This started me on my journey

the power of one. It's about a white kid growing up in South Africa in the 1940s. I've read it probably 3-4 times and probably will keep rereading it. For some reason, this book inspires me to be more. Through the book I've also developed a romantic love for South Africa even though I've never been there. I plan to visit someday. Even if it costs me everything.

24 why

Think and Grow rich by Napoleon Hill

The Godfather

this but; this but ironically instead of ironically this

read this, its "the secret" tier cancer
t. an actual white kid growing up in SA

what?

Prithee what shouldst'd've I spake?

A Passage to India. In fact, this specific passage:

>"There's no point in all this. Here we are, and we're going to stop, and the country's got to put up with us, gods or no gods. Oh, look here," he broke out, rather pathetically, "what do you and Adela want me to do? Go against my class, against all the people I respect and admire out here? Lose such power as I have for doing good in this country because my behaviour isn't pleasant? You neither of you understand what work is, or you 'Id never talk such eyewash. I hate talking like this, but one must occasionally. It's morbidly sensitive to go on as Adela and you do. I noticed you both at the club to-day—after the Burra Sahib had been at all that trouble to amuse you. I am out here to work, mind, to hold this wretched country by force. I'm not a missionary or a Labour Member or a vague sentimental sympathetic literary man. I'm just a servant of the Government; it's the profession you wanted me to choose myself, and that's that. We're not pleasant in India, and we don't intend to be pleasant. We've something more important to do."

>He spoke sincerely. Every day he worked hard in the court trying to decide which of two untrue accounts was the less untrue, trying to dispense justice fearlessly, to protect the weak against the less weak, the incoherent against the plausible, surrounded by lies and flattery. That morning he had convicted a railway clerk of overcharging pilgrims for their tickets, and a Pathan of attempted rape. He expected no gratitude, no recognition for this, and both clerk and Pathan might appeal, bribe their witnesses more effectually in the interval, and get their sentences reversed. It was his duty. But he did expect sympathy from his own people, and except from newcomers he obtained it. He did think he ought not to be worried about "Bridge Parties" when the day's work was over and he wanted to play tennis with his equals or rest his legs upon a long chair.

>He spoke sincerely, but she could have wished with less gusto. How Ronny revelled in the drawbacks of his situation! How he did rub it in that he was not in India to behave pleasantly, and derived positive satisfaction therefrom! He reminded her of his public-schooldays. The traces of young-man humanitarianism had sloughed off, and he talked like an intelligent and embittered boy. His words without his voice might have impressed her, but when she heard the self-satisfied lilt of them, when she saw the mouth moving so complacently and competently beneath the little red nose, she felt, quite illogically, that this was not the last word on India.

>One touch of regret— not the canny substitute but the true regret from the heart— would have made him a different man, and the British Empire a different institution.

It was a pretty sharp wake-up call regarding some of my more realpolitik/"tough love" political opinions. It didn't change them, but it changed the way I thought about them.